WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Good points on church and state issue.

Jung

???
Premium
Dear President Bush,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you and understand why you would propose and support a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage. As you said, "in the eyes of God marriage is based between a man a woman." I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

9) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal
and unchanging.
A friend of mine posted this on my forum, it was taken from the yahoo forums. This isn't really meant to be an anti Bush thread, I just left the post unedited.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
sweet! But I believe that was in the old testament, wasn't it ?

Like any written text the bible is open to any interpretation you choose (the point of the letter...i think). Hiding behind words and "commandments" typifies cowardice. I'm not a Bush basher....I voted twice for him in 2000 and 3 times this year. I just wish people would speak their mind and not make it about what some book says is right or wtong.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
LMAO! I love it! That is the problem with religious people, they pick and choose which religions to follow and which not too. Im sending this shit to my mom, she'll be sooo pissed at me!

you get to vote more than once? what the hell i thought the idea of voting was that everyone got a vote, not 3

Bipolarpeanut said:
you get to vote more than once? what the hell i thought the idea of voting was that everyone got a vote, not 3
Sure...in florida you can vote as many times as you want. Its in our state constitution (as long as your republican).

that makes no sense
but then its just a matter of whos wrist gets tired first of writing loads of ballot papers

Bipolarpeanut said:
that makes no sense
but then its just a matter of whos wrist gets tired first of writing loads of ballot papers
Guess they don't do sarcasm in the UK.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
actually it appears that the letter was originally a letter to Dr. Laura.... as a rebuttal for the "homosexuality is wrong cause the bible says so" arguement. http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

some good answers...
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

Answer: You have not prepared the bull right. You must empty the bull of any internal organs and especially the digestion system. Cover the bull with a mixture of grease and the gut contents prior to the sacrifice. The smell should now be less disturbing. If the neighbours still complain about the odour, you can claim that it's bullshit.

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

Answer: That depends on her education. Renting is much more cost-effective nowadays. A fair price for an IT consultant is about $110/hr.

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

Answer: Oh, no, not on the sabbath you won't. In the weeks, he's doing no harm, and on the sabbath you are not allowed to kill him, unless you enjoy it, then it doesn't classify as work. Thus, you have to hire a hitman who is willing to do the work. Just make sure this hitman is also eliminated for his sabbath-violation.
source

Leviticus is in the Old Testiment and is full of what I consider to be crap...

I did a paper on Agnosticism back in HS... here is some of the crap I found from the Old Test... (disregard the referance letters I included sources but won't bore you further with them...
• Believe in animal sacrifices as atonement for your sins(A)
• Don’t eat pork, rabbits, lobsters or shrimp… but you don’t have a problem eating crickets, grasshoppers or locusts…(B)
• Believe that after giving birth a woman shouldn’t attend religious services for 33 days if she has a boy and 66 days for a girl… because she is unclean…after her term of uncleanliness is done, she must sacrifice a lamb or pigeon… (C)
• Understand that if you casually touch a woman who is on her period you will be unclean until the sun goes down… If you sleep in the same bed as a woman on her period you will be unclean for 7days… (D)
• Know that homosexuality is wrong and gays should be put to death…(E)/(G)
• Believe that people shouldn’t wear clothing woven of two kinds of material (F)
• Know that you can’t have a tattoo (F)
• Believe that if you curse your mother or father you should be put to death (G)
• Believe that retarded people and people with out perfect vision cannot approach the altar of God. (H)
• Believe that anyone that works on Sunday should be put to death. (I)
• Believe that anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. (J)
• Believe in Eye for an Eye… anyone who kills a man must be put to death (J)/(K)
• You believe in slavery (K) (L)
• Believe that God punishes disobedience very harshly (M)
• Believe that men’s clothing shouldn’t be worn by women and men shouldn’t wear women’s clothing. (N)
• Women should be stoned to death if their father cannot prove her virginity to her husband. (O)
• If a man rapes an unmarried woman he must pay her father and then marry her. (P)
• Believe that you can marry a female POW if you take her home and shave her head and trim her nails (Q)
• Believe that if your married brother dies without a son you should marry his widow and impregnate her and the kid will carry on the dead brother’s name… if you choose not to then an elder should take your shoe and spit in your face. (R)
• Believe that if a man has a lustful thought about a woman that isn’t his wife then he has committed adultery. (S)
• It is ok to sell your daughter as a slave (T)

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
Good ole fashion Old Testament justice. Plague and pestilence abound, and elders taking youngun's shoes and spitting in their faces. Plus one of my favorite verbs ever to be concieved made popular by the OT: to smite.

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
The only thing that I believe about God is that you should have your very own, personal relationship with it (note: not him or her, cause I don't know). If you go to church and let someone define the relationship that you have with God I believe that you no longer have your own relationship. At that point you are living with the preacher/parishoner/preist's relationship.

My own personal belief is that if you always try to do the right thing then you can't go wrong. :mfinger:

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
If you go to church and let someone define the relationship that you have with God I believe that you no longer have your own relationship.
the "church" defines "God"... were it not for churches/houses of worship.. people wouldn't know of "God"

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Mr. Joshua said:
Guess they don't do sarcasm in the UK.
I've noticed that most people outside the US don't understand sarcastic humor.

haljer

disillusioned
why you go to church

The reason you go to church is so that everyone else who goes to church can see you. And then you can discuss who isn't at church and how this is going to adversly effect their lives. Church is one of the ultimate social platforms. Yes there are those who attend who really believe what is being said and want to enrich their lives. There are those who go to church to to fill some unmet need. Of course if you go to church you are establishing a relationship with the pastor/priest/etc etc. When you go to school you have a relationship with your teachers. That doesnt mean you have to except everything they say. The religous leader is there to guide you in your journey. You choose which denomiantion to go to so that it fits with your beliefs. It's not so much which church you do or dont go to thats the issue. It's the reason you do or dont go to church. THere are plenty of ppl who attend regularly who have alot less faith then ppl who never set foot into a church.

Religion was set up as the ultimate authority figure. Society needed to have some sort of all knowing powerful leader. This was a way of enforcing right or wrong. It prevented lawlessness and gave ppl a set of predefined principals. It was a way of civalizing and holding ppl accountable for their actions. Of course like so many other things it has grown into something much more than thatand no one wants to say that it is going to far.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Skorch said:
Good ole fashion Old Testament justice. Plague and pestilence abound, and elders taking youngun's shoes and spitting in their faces. Plus one of my favorite verbs ever to be concieved made popular by the OT: to smite.
Agreed :thumbsup:
Hey, Just to keep in the spirit of things; let's all go out and smite someone just for being who they are.