WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Good RAM gone bad?

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
I just upgrade my os to 10.3 Panther and I thought it would be a cake walk, and it should! After installing it ran fine for about 2 days and the problems! My G4 started crashing on the simplest tasks. Logging out, crash. Put a blank cd in, crash. So I wiped the hard drive and did a clean install and thought maybe there was some junk left over from the previous os (whatever, I don't know), same problems. So I get apple on the horn and they tell me to go through all my RAM one by one, as a test! Sure as shit on of my 512's was causin all the probs. They never explained why, and I think I have a good idea, but does any one know why this is?? I know windows machines differ from macs, but bad ram is bad ram and that would give PC's probs too. It seems funny that I was runnin the previous version (10.2 Jaguar) fine, never any problems. Then I have to upgrade cuz what fun is yesterdays tech, and BAM my systems all fucked up!

Any ideas????

Descent

Hella Constipated
Is it generic RAM?

Generic RAM has problems where it usually holds data poorly, which could explain your crashes.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
jstager said:
Is it generic RAM?

Generic RAM has problems where it usually holds data poorly, which could explain your crashes.
No PNY ddr, 333, 2700.

Jung

???
Premium
If it's just one stick giving you problems, just buy a new one. Ram is either good or bad; when it goes bad, it's just time to get new ram.

Descent

Hella Constipated
TwisT said:
No PNY ddr, 333, 2700.
PNY makes shit RAM...check the chips on it.

If they say Infineon, Corsair, Mushkin, MT, SEC, Samsung, or Kingston, then it is great RAM.

I just got two used 256MB sticks, so now I'm owning with 1GB, baby!

w00t!

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
junglizm said:
If it's just one stick giving you problems, just buy a new one. Ram is either good or bad; when it goes bad, it's just time to get new ram.
Not a big deal I know. just curious.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
PNY isn't really shitty, but manufacturers like Kingston and Corsair are better for latency and reliability. You should have a pretty good waranty on your PNY ram if you bought it recently. I bought a generic brand of RAM with a lifetime warranty so it doesnt matter if it craps out cuz i can just replace it or get my money back.