WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Google Earth

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
Hey Guys,

Downloaded this last night - kept me up WAY past my bedtime...

Google has been doing some pretty cool stuff since they bought that satellite imaging company. Their maps are the best, and the satellite imagery that goes with them is so cool.

Now they've created Google Earth, a downloadable internet-based program that is like a searchable, zoomable, all-powerful virtual globe. You can overlay the street names on a picture of your town, or search just about anywhere in the world. There's even a 3-D terrain feature that will show you the relief of the area, and some cities' downtown cores have the major buildings rendered in 3-D!

Check it out: earth.google.com

It's just beta right now, so they may disable the download once they have enough out there.

Cheers,

WTFN

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
Ahhh... yes. 'cept now it's free! And I imagine Google has improved it a bit, ie adding more businesses and searchable stuff. There's a cool integration with the Confluence program that pops up with certain options checked. D/L and explore it, good times!

Cheers,

WTFN

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
my grandpa used to have keyhole. I wonder if it still works...

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I was playing around with it at work today, it's pretty fuckin' rad (80's throwback, w00t!) we got some nice shots of where we were in Baghdad, I pulled up some good shots of cleveland. I imagine if nothing else, it should at least help terrorists pin-point bomb targets much easier. Thanks Google! :thumbsup:

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
It's offline for now... does anyone have a copy of it that I can download? Also, what ads are there? Does it have a pop-up of local business or something?

Jung

???
Premium
I already deleted the exe, I just looked for it. No, Goolge doesn't use pop up ads, anywhere. You can search for local addresses or businesses though.