Google Maps messed up for anyone else?

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
Has Google Maps been messed up on anybody else's phones lately?

For about a month, it keeps wanting to take me on long routes that keep heading away from my destinations, and have me driving in circles in the middle of nowhere. Routes that should take 25 minutes, get recommended at 2 hours and 45 minutes. Sometimes it gets confused and tells me to turn in one direction, then when I make the turn, it acts like I should have turned the opposite direction. Sometimes it can't figure out where exactly I am, and the cursor and map keep spinning in circles. It also keeps doing things like trying to get me to drive on walking trails, and when I drive pass them, it keeps telling me to turn around and drive on the trail.

I ended up downloading and using Waze, which is mostly good and works fine, except I keep accidentally touching the screen somehow and a menu full of buttons pops up. I'll just keep using Waze and hold the phone better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

beef_roller

The Pizza-Slinger
This is why after all these years, I still have the ol' fashioned paper travel maps. I update every couple years for listings of new roads/routes. Sometimes I'll plot a course on Google Maps... but I still track it all out on the paper map so I can be sure it is accurate. Never have been able to trust those voice command GPS trackers.

• 1Agree

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
Like @beef_roller I too am old school. I still use those pictures printed on dead trees, but I also do look things up on Google Maps. I especially like using Google Street View to simulate a trip before hand so I know what landmarks to look for when I need to make a turn. Then I get a strange sense of deja vu when I drive to those actual places.

However, I do not let a computer program decide my route for me. From my little bit of experience with them, they have proven to be untrustworthy. GPS would be good if you could plot your own route ahead of time and then the GPS program would simply let you know when you are coming up to your exits and turns.

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
I like both. But the advantage Google maps and Waze have is their dynamic nature. Within 10 minutes of a problem, I'm notified and given the option of rerouting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

beef_roller

The Pizza-Slinger
I like both. But the advantage Google maps and Waze have is their dynamic nature. Within 10 minutes of a problem, I'm notified and given the option of rerouting.

The ONLY thing I like about Google Maps is the corny ass jokes it tells me

• 1LOL
  • 1WTF!?
Reactions: 1 users

Putz

Banned - What an Asshat!
What are Google Maps? What is a Waze? I don't understand this millennial computer shit. They need to stop being dorks.

BlastemSkyHigh

The Original Fuck You Bomb
Premium
We had a google maps car in our town just slowly driving around,
it had a rack of cameras on the top of the car, it must have passed our area three times within a four hour period.

• 1Like

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
We had a google maps car in our town just slowly driving around,
it had a rack of cameras on the top of the car, it must have passed our area three times within a four hour period.
Google Maps had footage of places like Area 51 that had to be censored out. I wonder how the Google car got in there. :roflmao:

• 11UP!