WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Google Rumored To Launch Instant Messaging Tomorrow

Jung

???
Premium
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050823-073913
Google to Deliver Instant Messages from the Los Angeles Times has unnamed sources telling the paper that Google will launched an instant messaging service called Google Talk as early as tomorrow. Aside from IM, the tool would also offer voice chat similar to what Yahoo Messenger currently offers.

Google's said to have been testing the service for at least a month. Google confirmed to the LA Times that it had a new product to release this week (when don't they?) but declined to say if it was Google Talk was the product.

The New York Times yesterday wrote that "Google executives" said they'd unveil a "communications tool" on Wednesday but not exactly what that would be.

Brad Hill points to a Neowin post about the talk.google.com domain has been spotted. Using a Trillian IM client, the domain was found to be waiting for IM connections using the Jabber protocol. Nathan at InsideGoogle has comments, as does Dirson and Threadwatch.

Want to comment or discuss? Visit our forum thread, Google Talk Instant Messaging Coming?
Other sources are reporting that it will be a Jabber based client. I'd probably switch if they support AIM and don't use a horrible style like they did in like Picasso.

jamesp

In Memory...
I'd definitely try it out. Google has a lot of very smart people and I love to see their new products.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
yet another thing on my toolbar.. yay.. lets blend em all together... aolmsn yahoogle messenger

Jung

???
Premium
From Slashdot...
"Google's new IM service is already live. All you need is a Jabber-compatible Instant Messaging client (such as Apple's iChat, or gaim), and a GMail address." This should answer, at least in part, all of the speculation that has been flying around the net over the last couple of days. Stay tuned to Google tomorrow for details.
The link is slashdotted, so here is the Mirrordot cache.

magnolia

Postaholic
If their IM service is anything like their E-Mail service I wouldn't even try it. I don't like the format and and the options on the E-Mail. So I don't know that I'd like whatever they came up with for IM. Just my own opinion though.

Jung

???
Premium
I hate the Gmail web application too, but Gmail with POP is awesome.

Their IM service will use Jabber though, which is admittedly a niche protocol right now. I'm sure Google will make it popular though, and hopefully will support other protocols as well. I honestly have no reason to switch if it lacks AIM support, but it would be cool to use with Miranda or the like.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
yep, you're my buddy now. :)

EDIT: know what, buddy, we have the same number of posts now, how odd!