WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Google's own species of ants

Jung

???
Premium
The Google blog just made a post bragging about its success with Google Earth, apparently it's been very helpful to ant researchers as of late. So helpful that they named a new ant species after them, the Proceratium Google. Wikipedia also has a stub on the proceratium google.

Kiwi

Tal'chak'amel
:Rofl: well ... why not???
wonder what proceratium means xD

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
that was a nasty bug..iu iu iu..don't like ants.. because one when me and my cousin was little..we accidently sat on an ants nest..and hundredsof hundreds of ants everywhere..that is one of my earliest memories..so I must of have been about 2-3years old?

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott is correct. Scientific names denote first the generic genus of an animal, then the specific species. This is called taxonomy; this method is used to indicate natural relationships between different animals, as well as set a standard naming convention for scientists across the world.