WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines GOP religious pandering of the week

Jung

???
Premium
Samples of the GOP's extreme pandering to the religious right this week. Of course, some of the information may be a bit older, but it came to my attention this week.

First up, the State of Virginia:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?051+sum+HB1677
Summary as introduced:
Report of fetal death by mother; penalty. Provides that when a fetal death occurs without medical attendance, it shall be the woman's responsibility to report the death to the proper law-enforcement agency within 12 hours of the delivery. Violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.
Of course, in this case, a Class 1 Misdemeanor translates to up to 12 months in jail. As currently written, a female that had a first trimester miscarriage, which is a fairly common occurence, would be subjected to this rule.

Next, we question whether or not Rep. Tom Delay intentionally insulted millions when he delivered the following passage:
Saith DeLay:

"A reading of the Gospel, in Matthew 7:21 through 27.

Not every one who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven; but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?

"Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you: depart from me, you evil doers.'"

Everyone who listens to these words of mine, and acts on them, will be like a wise man, who built his house on a rock:

The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew, and buffeted the house, but it did not collapse; it has been set solidly on rock.

And everyone who listens to these words of mine, but does not act on them, will be like a fool who built his house on sand:

The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew, and buffeted the house, and it collapsed and was completely ruined."
http://amcop.blogspot.com/2005/01/choice-words.html

He said this at the 109th Congressional prayer service, and then promptly sat down after saying it. In politics, when most things public are done for the sake of appearance, why would he choose this particular phrase, and then let it stand by itself with no explanation?

Finally, we come to the severly misguided Rep. Mark Souder from Indiana. Rep. Souder claims that democracy cannot exist without a Judeo-Christian belief system. He also continues the false claim that American was founded as a Christian nation.
http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/1/62005f.asp

An Indiana congressman is warning that an Iraqi-style democracy may not make much of a change there. Why? Because the Judeo-Christian ethic is critical to the success of such a venture, he says.

Earlier this week, Republican Mark Souder was one of the speakers at a bipartisan prayer service before the opening of the 109th session of Congress. He told the audience that religious faith is the conscience of democracy.

"The United States was at its founding, and still is, not only a religious nation but largely a Christian nation," Souder said. "Through Judeo-Christian beliefs that anchor our legal, our economic, our military, and our political system, the balance of powers and constraints upon the state -- and thus upon the majority -- assume the sinful nature of man and one that is not perfectable."
In what way is our military anchored in Judeo-Christian beliefs? If you wonder why I ask this question, please reference this link.

So, democracy cannot exist without Judeo-Christian values? Tell that to Japan, one of the most democratic nations on the planet. They are also quite successful in their endeavor. Also, try telling that to India, the world's largest democracy.

And for those GOPers that love to split hairs and bemoan that we are not a democracy, allow me this tangential, disjointed paragraph. 1) There are many republics that are not based on J-C values, such as China [PRC] and North Korea [DPRK]. 2) People saying we are not a democracy often do so because they go back to the founding and the specific definition that word had at the time... mob rule. Needless to say, we have a form of democracy in this country, and always have. We just did not call it such. Additionally, why do these very same people, the ones against mob-rule democracy, tend to offer arguements that are rife with mob-rule mentality? Ever heard someone that thought this way say, "75% of American's hate the idea of gay marriage, therefore it should be banned!" or similar things to that effect? I hear this all the time. In one sentence, "America is a republic, not a democracy" and in the next "the majority of Americans are Christian, therefore laws should be based on the bible!" And when you try to 'educate' them by pointing out the semantical contradiction, they get pissed off.

Anyway, that last section turned more into a rant than anything, so I will end it here.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I told someone in the fifth grade that we would be able to see the end of the US in our life times....But I have to play devils advocate (pun intended) and ask...If a "faith based" government was mandated by the people...Would you still complain...Is it for the good of the country that you oppose religion in government or Is it a personal reason? Dont take this as an attack or a way of saying that I condone what the GOP is doing...just humor me.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Let me guess, that load of crap came from those representing the RED states, where they are incapable of understanding the importance of the separation of Chuch and State, which was one of the main reasons that this country came to be in the first place...

*Huge* surprise

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
there is no true seperation of church and state... the highest court in the land has a prayer before they begin with daily business...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
there is no true seperation of church and state... the highest court in the land has a prayer before they begin with daily business...
You are confusing a "custom" with a religious zealot government, such as the Taliban or the current U.S. Administration.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I think thats a bit extreme at this point....I despise the idea just as much as you do but I wouldnt call them "zealots" yet. Although I have no idea how they have held back stem cell research and gay marriage. We may be headed there.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
Religious zealots = your paranoid label for anyone religious...

GWB was the first prez to allocate federal funds for stem cell research...

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
granted...but what has been done and what could have been done are two completely different animals. I'll assume you were berating VOR on the zealots thing because i semi-agree with you.