WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines got $35K? we'll clone your cat

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
anyone see this on the news last night?
for a mere $35K they will clone your dearly departed feline friend so you may have a second, third, forth, etc chance to relive your fondness of a particular cat.

are :confused: you :confused: fuckin' :confused: joking?

wtf would pay that? i realize there are people who would, but isn't it a short list? these people cannot say if there will be health consequences or other even more heart breaking problems due to the new kittie being cloned...to me, i would think there's nothing worse than losing something you love twice.

these people are out of their minds, all of them! :thumbsdn:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
just a quick science lesson, animals ppl etc. can only live so long b/c each time a cell divides to create a new cell some of the end of the DNA is cut off. i forget why exactly but i think it has to do with getting rid of viruses. a large % of your DNA is either useless or we dont understand it. anyway after a certain amount of time you cant make new cells b/c you cant get rid of DNA and hence you die. when they cloned the lamb the new lamb died at the same time as the mother. the reason is b/c they take cells from the animal and then clone it so that although the creature may look like a child and then mature it already has a body as if it were x years old. so if youre cat died of old age chances are this wouldnt work anyway

Shaggy2Dope94

My axe is my buddy
WizardlyFriend said:
just a quick science lesson, animals ppl etc. can only live so long b/c each time a cell divides to create a new cell some of the end of the DNA is cut off. i forget why exactly but i think it has to do with getting rid of DNA. a large % of your DNA is either useless or we dont understand it. anyway after a certain amount of time you cant make new cells b/c you cant get rid of DNA and hence you die. when they cloned the lamb the new lamb died at the same time as the mother. the reason is b/c they take cells from the animal and then clone it so that although the creature may look like a child and then mature it already has a body as if it were x years old. so if youre cat died of old age chances are this wouldnt work anyway
You kno a bit to much about science and the whole cloning thing

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
well, what i know is more about generally biology on the cellular level and not cloning. however since i do know about this i do also know about cloning. knowing about cloning is not supporting it though. i am against this and cloning for the most part.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Now... where did you get this information..? I disagree with you fully. In Finland we are tought genetics, and I even had few extra classes about the subject. There i learned a bit about cloning etc.
Basically cloning, asexual reproduction, is how plants etc. normally breed.. Parthenogenetically reproductive organisms reproduce virginally (patrhenogenesis).. (for example male bees)
Yet these organisms I mentioned above do not grow up already old, the cells are not already aged. And the lamb didn´t die (i reckon you mean Dolly) at the same age as it´s mother, and it didn´t die because it´s cells were "old".

Personally I think cloning is not a good thing. It stops evolution. And that doesnt sound that nice does it?

tzedek

Original Member
gurlgonewild said:
what do you mean, "what is the big deal?"
(me???) i could spend $35,000 on better things, thank you.
(or science comment?)
well Im sure we all could, but if someone wants to spend the money on it then why not?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
RetArt said:
Now... where did you get this information..? I disagree with you fully. In Finland we are tought genetics, and I even had few extra classes about the subject. There i learned a bit about cloning etc.
Basically cloning, asexual reproduction, is how plants etc. normally breed.. Parthenogenetically reproductive organisms reproduce virginally (patrhenogenesis).. (for example male bees)
Yet these organisms I mentioned above do not grow up already old, the cells are not already aged. And the lamb didn´t die (i reckon you mean Dolly) at the same age as it´s mother, and it didn´t die because it´s cells were "old".

Personally I think cloning is not a good thing. It stops evolution. And that doesnt sound that nice does it?
i hate to tell you that you are wrong. plants do not reproduce asexually. hate to tell you but plants are having sex all the time. you know when you get plant allergies? its on plant cum if you want to look at it that way. they can reproduce asexually since they make both parts. actually dolly and her "mom" did die around the same time. im not talking about all organisms, when i mention the DNA being cut i am talking about only mammals since i only know about it in mammals.

plants dont clone either. reproducing asexually and cloning are too seperate concepts.

this isnt caused by "old" cells. but old people die when they are old for a reason. otherwise we'd live forever. you figure out how to stop this process and you have immortality (in theory), but unfortunately some bad side effects.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
gurlgonewild said:
what do you mean, "what is the big deal?"
(me???) i could spend $35,000 on better things, thank you.
(or science comment?)
Lexus :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Max said:
For $35K?
Yeah, you can find an older V-8 model for that much, I believe.

Lexus does kick ass by the way...We have an ES330 and it is an amazing car. It's so quiet when you're inside...

Dull_Bullet said:
i'll buy a BMW for that much money. cats are annoying anyway.
Then you must know some shitty cats. Mine is just like a baby. You can pick her up and hold her facing belly up, and she'll purr instantly. She follows my mother like a shadow, it's amazing!

Katie's the cutest, sweetest cat ever ;).

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Shaggy2Dope94 said:
You kno a bit to much about science and the whole cloning thing
There's no such thing as KNOWING TOO MUCH... The way you put it you make it sound like a bad thing.

I have to ask though - Who would pay $35,000 for a cat with the exact same DNA structure as a previous cat? You could just go to a barn and pick one up for free, or get one from the humane society and donate 35k to them if you were going to give $35,000 for a cat.

Point being - Why dish out 35 grand when you can get the same for FREE...