WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Got Perl?

jamesp

In Memory...
A good way to learn any programming lanuage is to find some source code and figure out exactly what everything does.

Jung

???
Premium
hedgehog4572068 said:
Does anyone know of a website that is free, that teaches you perl?
www.perl.org is all you need. www.cpan.org is good for modules and other things.

Try Googling next time. Also, if you're a beginner programmer, I wouldn't start with Perl.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I just bought one of those O'malley press books on it... Those are pretty good.. gives basic structure and programming in the beginning then the rest is a dictionary of the language... has each function or call, describes its syntax, purpose and gives an example for each... it may not be free but its easy and doesnt cost THAT much..

Jung

???
Premium
I'd definitely recommend learning the concept of OOP before delving into ANY language, especially Perl.

Jung

???
Premium
You should have no problem with Perl then, my only gripe about it is that it's ugly to look at compared to other 'web languages.'

Btw, HTML is NOT a programming language.

hedgehog4572068

Banned - What an Asshat!
True, HTML is not a programming language, but when you're tires as I, you see it as one. And perl is pretty compared to ugly C++, and will actually run on my Compaq.
Couldn't find any C compilers, and perl is more fun, folks

Jung

???
Premium
hedgehog4572068 said:
And perl is pretty compared to ugly C++
I don't see how you can say Perl is prettier than C, but I guess not having to deal with compiling is a plus for slow computers.(assuming that's what you meant)
Couldn't find any C compilers, and perl is more fun, folks
Dev-C++ is a full free and open source IDE which uses gcc as the compiler.

Jung

???
Premium
Couldn't find any C compilers
I tried most of the C compilers out there.
What?

What's wrong with DevC++?

What kind of programs do you plan on writing? Because Perl isn't very useful outside of scripting and web development. I'm just curious.