WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Governor: Everyone Must Leave New Orleans

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
NEW ORLEANS - The governor of Louisiana says everyone needs to leave New Orleans due to flooding from Hurricane Katrina. "We've sent buses in. We will be either loading them by boat, helicopter, anything that is necessary," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said. Army engineers trying to plug New Orleans' breached levees struggled to move giant sandbags and concrete barriers into place, and the governor said Wednesday the situation was growing more desperate and there was no choice but to abandon the flooded city.

"The challenge is an engineering nightmare," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said on ABC's "Good Morning America."

As the waters continued to rise in New Orleans, the Pentagon began mounting one of the biggest search-and-rescue operations in U.S. history, sending four Navy ships to the Gulf Coast with drinking water and other emergency supplies, along with the hospital ship USNS Comfort, search helicopters and eight swift-water rescue teams. Red Cross workers from across the country converged on the devastated region.

The Army Corps of Engineers said it planned to use heavy-duty Chinook helicopters to drop 3,000-pound sandbags Wednesday into the 500-foot gap in the failed floodwall. But the agency said it was having trouble getting the sandbags and dozens of 15-foot highway barriers to the site because the city's waterways were blocked by loose barges, boats and large debris.

Officials said they were also looking at a more audacious plan: finding a barge to plug the 500-foot hole.

The death toll from Hurricane Katrina reached at least 110 in Mississippi alone, while Louisiana put aside the counting of the dead to concentrate on rescuing the living, many of whom were still trapped on rooftops and in attics.

The Red Cross reported it had about 40,000 people in 200 shelters across the area in one of the biggest urban disasters the nation has ever seen.

A full day after the Big Easy thought it had escaped Katrina's full fury, two levees broke and spilled water into the streets Tuesday, swamping an estimated 80 percent of the bowl-shaped, below-sea-level city, inundating miles and miles of homes and rendering much of New Orleans uninhabitable for weeks or months.

"We are looking at 12 to 16 weeks before people can come in," Mayor Ray Nagin said on ABC's "Good Morning America, "and the other issue that's concerning me is we have dead bodies in the water. At some point in time the dead bodies are going to start to create a serious disease issue."

LINK
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wow, what would you do if you couldn't get home for 12-16 weeks?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
voiceofreason said:
Wow, what would you do if you couldn't get home for 12-16 weeks?
Loot beer from stores.. If I can't have a home, at least I can get drunk :thumbsup:

jamesp

In Memory...
It is horrible certainly, that those people cannot go back to their homes. But it is necessary. Seriously, if they have bodies floating in the flood waters...well, that was how plague was spread in the dark ages.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
man and i thought they had made it through...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
the images of people fleeing by foot for miles, by the droves, trying to leave their city in search of safety is sorrowing. w/ the backdrop looking like a war torn city, they look like refugees. especially difficult to watch are those w/ small children or older family members in tow.

my heart goes out to them, though not religious, i am thankful i'm not one of them. :happysad:

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
I am moved by the sorrow, and I will be donating money for this cause. However, this was bound to happen. New Orleans was built under sea level next to all that water. All it took was one huricane in just the right place and SWOOSH... our very own atlantis. What can we do? Donate money right now to aid the people of Louisianna before the government starts to (taking the opportunity to sponsor a nicities for themselves in the process).

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i'm not trying to be controversial (regulars should know this) but can i ask something that is playing on my mind?

would this whole scenario (looters, rescues, evacuations) be any better/no better if we didn't have a lot of the national guard in iraq?

no-one on the news has touched on this and i think it might be true that we are undermanned..

ReiMeishin said:
Can you say conscription?
I find that so unlikely, can you imagine the political cost to the bushies if they did? Grrr, people like you make me want to kick the dog I never had.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
I find that so unlikely, can you imagine the political cost to the bushies if they did? Grrr, people like you make me want to kick the dog I never had.
it's not like he's running for re-election.. i think he might just loot this country on his way out..

void said:
it's not like he's running for re-election.. i think he might just loot this country on his way out..
Yeah but Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld et al will still be in there, and they will want the Republicans to keep winning elections.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
canadian_pov said:
The disaster in New Orleans and the disaster in Iraq are both high maintenece problems that require military attention. In addition, we have all the military occupations in several spots around the country. The choice is between giving up militry presence in critical locations or not having troops where they are needed. And, if Bush does order a draft, he will do it because "The only other option would be to let those poor folks in New Orleans fend for themselves." The right wind conspiricy will spin and spin until the masses decide that "he did what he had to."
Is that enough content? EXCUSE ME if I make a quaint post now and then.

ReiMeishin said:
The disaster in New Orleans and the disaster in Iraq are both high maintenece problems that require military attention. In addition, we have all the military occupations in several spots around the country. The choice is between giving up militry presence in critical locations or not having troops where they are needed. And, if Bush does order a draft, he will do it because "The only other option would be to let those poor folks in New Orleans fend for themselves." The right wind conspiricy will spin and spin until the masses decide that "he did what he had to."
Is that enough content? EXCUSE ME if I make a quaint post now and then.
Ok my friend, and I use the term loosely, here is why conscription ain't gonna happen:
1. The US Army has plenty of manpower, yes they have 138000 troops (or something like that) in Iraq, but when your army has roughly 500000 troops, that leaves you with 362000 troops, outside of national guard. I know damn well that's much more than double the UK and Canada put together.
2. After this long of denying rumours of plans for a draft, do you really think it would be a snap to dissipate animosity if they were to actually do it?
3. Rumsfeld has been fighting Congress' attempts to permanently increase Army size, so what are the odds of a complete about-face now?
4. Even if they did impose a draft, there wouldn't be a major increase in the number of active-duty personnel until well after the New Orleans crisis were over, so your proposed justification would never hold water.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
canadian_pov said:
3. Rumsfeld has been fighting Congress' attempts to permanently increase Army size, so what are the odds of a complete about-face now?
yes, but he's a lying idiotic sack of shit though isn't he?

i get your point but rumsfeld? i wouldn't use rumsfeld as a part of a rational arguement..

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Fine, I posted on impule and tried to defend it, I got owned. Will not do so again.

void said:
i'm not trying to be controversial (regulars should know this) but can i ask something that is playing on my mind?

would this whole scenario (looters, rescues, evacuations) be any better/no better if we didn't have a lot of the national guard in iraq?

no-one on the news has touched on this and i think it might be true that we are undermanned..
There might not even be a situation had Bush not cut SELA's funding by more than 2/3 over the past three years to fund Homeland Security and the war in Iraq. You're asking the wrong questions.

ReiMeishin said:
And, if Bush does order a draft, he will do it because "The only other option would be to let those poor folks in New Orleans fend for themselves." The right wind conspiricy will spin and spin until the masses decide that "he did what he had to."
If the draft wasn't reinstated to keep the war in Iraq going, what the fuck makes you think that it will be reinstated in order to provide National Guard for the hurricane relief effort? Stay off the slippery-slope..

void said:
yes, but he's a lying idiotic sack of shit though isn't he?

i get your point but rumsfeld? i wouldn't use rumsfeld as a part of a rational arguement..
True, but he is the Secretary of Defense, he is, at least in theory, supposed to know what he is talking about.
What about this rational argument: Rumsfeld is a bucket of hobo water! :p

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
so all these people (half million? more?) are going to be relocated.. i can't think where, long term or short term.. npr said there are rumours that cruise ships will be drafted in to provide accomodation, but there's still a lot of homes needed..

also i heard that in the superdome thay have trouble between rival gangs.. how can you relocate some of these people to another urban environment with it's own heirachies?

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
U.S. military doubling Guard force in storm-hit area

FYI

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. military will send 10,000 more state National Guard troops to Louisiana and Mississippi by late Friday, swelling to 21,000 the number on duty in four hurricane-battered Gulf states to control lawlessness and provide aid, the Pentagon said on Wednesday.