WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Graphics Cards

What's up everyone. I'm looking into building a gaming rig. I was planning on putting two nVidia GeForce 6800 cards and was just wondering if all the major bugs have been worked out. Thanks.

Jung

???
Premium
The performance gains of the 6800s in SLI are pretty negligible right now. Any reason you want to waste $600 on marginal performance gains?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm with Junglizm on this one. Besides, an X800XL will be a fair amount faster than a 6800 GT or Ultra card, and much cheaper, at around $280.

If you do want an nVidia card, get the 6800GT. It's only about 3fps slower than an Ultra, and a much better deal too. It also uses significantly less power and runs considerably cooler.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Besides, an X800XL will be a fair amount faster than a 6800 GT or Ultra card
NOTE: Obvious bias used against the X850 XT PE... Take this advice with a grain of salt...

Actually it's not, the GT and Ultra cards beat out the XT in pretty much every benchmark.

(Performance numbers taken from Tech Report X800 review. Prices taken from newegg.com. Relative price differences should be the same regardless of currency.)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Ahhh, my bad. I read a review another place that contradicted that, but these newer reviews seem to show that it isn't as fast.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Gee, no obvious bias there! Way to artificially cook the numbers there Jung...

The ones you're using for the X850 XT PE card are way off considering NewEgg has the OEM and Retail models for $439 and $445.

But even with the obvious bias there, it goes to show you can obtain roughly the same performance using the cheaper ATI X800 XL card as you can with the more expensive Nvidia 6800 GT. In the PCI-Express realm, the cost difference is roughly $60. Things are different in the AGP realm though...

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
Gee, no obvious bias there! Way to artificially cook the numbers there Jung...
I just copied and pasted that, but it's a bit old. Aside from the out dated prices, everything else is still pretty accurate. (and either way you look at it the XT PE is horribly over priced) Sorry if I offended the ATI fans.
http://shsc.info/PCPartsPickingGuide

I agree that the X800XT is a better buy than the GT though, I was just responding to Descent's post.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That will forever go down in history as two of the funniest posts in Computing Chamber history.

Thanks everyone! I'm an nVidia fan anyways...I wouldn't spend money on ATi unless it was the All-In-Wonder for recording T.V. shows and what not. If the SLI configuration improves enough to be worth it, post a thread...Thanks again

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
noslenac said:
Thanks everyone! I'm an nVidia fan anyways...I wouldn't spend money on ATi unless it was the All-In-Wonder for recording T.V. shows and what not. If the SLI configuration improves enough to be worth it, post a thread...Thanks again
Speaking of which, here's an excellent deal on the ATI X800 XT All-In-Wonder AGP video card at Amazon. Final price is $288 after a $50 MIR.

Though I suspect if you're building a new system you'll be moving to a motherboard with PCI-Express.