WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Grenade at site of Bush Speech.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/10/bush.georgia/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. officials are investigating a report that an apparent hand grenade landed about 100 feet from where President Bush was speaking Tuesday in Tblisi, the capital of Georgia, a Secret Service spokesman said.

The Secret Service has not yet confirmed whether the object was a real grenade and if so, whether the pin had been pulled, said spokesman Jim Mackin.

"We have not seen the reported device," he said.

No explosion was reported.

Mackin said Georgian officials alerted their U.S. counterparts about the incident several hours after Bush departed the former Soviet republic, where he received an enthusiastic welcome in a public square in the capital.

According to the account by Georgian security officials, the grenade hit an individual and fell to the ground, Mackin said.

At that point, security officers recognized the device and removed it, he said. No further details were available.

The FBI and State Department are also investigating the incident, Mackin said.

In his speech, Bush told a crowd of tens of thousands that Georgia is proving to the world that determined people can rise up and claim their freedom from oppressive rulers.

Bush's speech was the last event of his five-day, four-nation tour marking the end of World War II in Europe.

"Your most important contribution is your example," Bush said, speaking in Freedom Square, site of protests in November 2003 of the so-called Rose Revolution that put President Mikhail Saakashvili in power.

"Before there was a Purple Revolution in Iraq or an Orange Revolution in Ukraine or a Cedar Revolution in Lebanon, there was a Rose Revolution in Georgia," Bush said.

"You gathered here armed with nothing but roses and the power of your convictions and you claimed your liberty," he said.

"Because you acted, Georgia is today both sovereign and free and a beacon of liberty for this region and the world."

The president also noted that maintaining democracy was hard work. "The path is not easy," Bush said, pledging that Georgians "will not travel it alone."

"The American people will stand with you," he said.

Georgia is widely viewed as helping lead the way for other former Soviet republics to turn away from Moscow and focus more of their efforts on building alliances with the West.

I had first heard of this on the 10:00 news on ABC. I'm not very fond fond of the president but, I find it pretty sad that the security staff and secret service could allow something like that to happen, or slip through. Kinda funny too.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
In his speech, Bush told a crowd of tens of thousands that Georgia is proving to the world that determined people can rise up and claim their freedom from oppressive rulers.The president also noted that maintaining democracy was hard work. "The path is not easy," Bush said
LOL the real question is who's going to save us from our oppressive rulers?!

RogueSmiley said:
I'm not very fond fond of the president but, I find it pretty sad that the security staff and secret service could allow something like that to happen, or slip through. Kinda funny too.
The Secret Service has no jurisdiction in that country. They have to do the best they can, with what the other government allows them. You can not blame the Secret Service, when they were not told of this matter until 2 hours after Bush had left the country. You also have to keep in mind, the environment, and tools to which they had to work their “protection“.

Yes, mistakes were made. Were they really the fault of the Secret Service, though? In-part maybe, but not fully.

Also, this is no laughing matter. He may not be a President you are fond of, however he is still the president of our country.

R

RedOctober

It must be a joke.. :D

If Bush would be killed, there will always be another asshole to become president of the USA..

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/05/11/bush.georgia/index.html

TBILISI, Georgia (CNN) -- A grenade reportedly found near the site where U.S. President George W. Bush made a speech in Tblisi was an inactive Soviet-era device, Georgian officials said Wednesday.

Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Guram Donadze described the device as a "non-combative" grenade used in military training and said it did not contain explosives.

The device was placed in the crowd about 100 feet from where Bush was speaking. It was not thrown, as was previously believed, Donadze said.

It never posed a danger to Bush and was apparently placed by someone who wanted to scare people in the crowd and attract media attention, Donadze said.

Georgian officials alerted U.S. officials about the incident several hours after Bush left the former Soviet republic, U.S. Secret Service spokesman Jim Mackin said.

On Tuesday, Mackin said Georgian security officials told their U.S. counterparts the grenade hit an individual and fell to the ground.

Gela Bezhuashvili, secretary of Georgia's National Security Council, said Wednesday the device was a "so-called engineering grenade" found in "inactive mode."

"The preliminary identification is that object was not operational but looks like (a) Soviet-made hand grenade," Bezhuashvili said.

"The goal is clear -- to frighten or to scare people and to attract the attention of the mass media," The Associated Press quoted him as saying. "The goal has been reached and that is why I'm talking to you now."

"In any case there was no danger whatsoever for the presidents," he said, referring to Bush and Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili.

"I am not an expert but it was not possible to detonate it there," he said. "Nevertheless, this is a subject of close attention and it is being studied jointly by the Georgian and American sides."

The Secret Service, FBI and State Department are investigating the incident, Mackin said.

Yay, no attack on the president. Just another nut craving attention.

Taylor_Blade said:
The Secret Service has no jurisdiction in that country. They have to do the best they can, with what the other government allows them. You can not blame the Secret Service, when they were not told of this matter until 2 hours after Bush had left the country You also have to keep in mind, the environment, and tools to which they had to work their “protection“.

Yes, mistakes were made. Were they really the fault of the Secret Service, though? In-part maybe, but not fully.

Also, this is no laughing matter. He may not be a President you are fond of, however he is still the president of our country.

I meant funny in a suspicious sense of the word.
I also mentioned the security the Georgian officials provided. Security is tighter going into Yankee Stadium than it was at the site of the speech for someone to be able to get a grenade past them.
As for the secret service, I think most of the blame should be on them. It's not like a sniper was sitting a 100 yrds away with a gun. It was within a 100ft, a grenade. A 100 ft is pretty damn close for a grenade to reach the president and that was one not intended to harm anyone. I guarantee if it was an active grenade, it would have been a lot closer. You can see someone throw a penny from over a 100 ft away. Their job is not to find out something two hours later, but to prevent things from happening and protect the president if they do. Jurisdiction or not. That just means they don't have authority over those people.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RogueSmiley said:
As for the secret service, I think most of the blame should be on them. It's not like a sniper was sitting a 100 yrds away with a gun. It was within a 100ft, a grenade. A 100 ft is pretty damn close for a grenade to reach the president and that was one not intended to harm anyone. I guarantee if it was an active grenade, it would have been a lot closer. You can see someone throw a penny from over a 100 ft away. Their job is not to find out something two hours later, but to prevent things from happening and protect the president if they do. Jurisdiction or not. That just means they don't have authority over those people.
The Secret Service can't be blamed unless they had some say-so in the matter. Remember, Georgian security forces were responsible for site security. US Secret Service agents were only there to protect the president. Figure they had maybe 30 feet around the president. Their job was to keep him alive. The fact that they found out 2 hours after the president left the country isn't their fault. You can't blame someone for not being told something by someone else.

It was 100 feet away in a rather large crowd. It would have been nearly impossible to see someone throw it in those conditions. Had it been live it still wouldn't have likely even injured the president. The sheer volume of people would have prevented any blast or shrapnel from reaching our monkey.

Personally, if they somehow managed to pull off an assassination on Bush they had better get Cheney too because I would rather have Bush as president than that little terror.
I'm glad it wasn't a real attempt. As much as I don't like Bush I don't want him to die.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
tiger_86 said:
Personally, if they somehow managed to pull off an assassination on Bush they had better get Cheney too because I would rather have Bush as president than that little terror.
:rolleyes: i forgot the cheney factor! ah, crap back to the drawing board.

UberSkippy said:
Remember, Georgian security forces were responsible for site security. US Secret Service agents were only there to protect the president. Figure they had maybe 30 feet around the president. Their job was to keep him alive.

It was 100 feet away in a rather large crowd. It would have been nearly impossible to see someone throw it in those conditions. Had it been live it still wouldn't have likely even injured the president. The sheer volume of people would have prevented any blast or shrapnel from reaching our monkey.

You made it sound like I only blamed the secret service.
I said how bad I thought the security was cause the grenade got past them.

I also said that had it been an active grenade intended to cause harm, than it would have been a lot closer. If someone's mission is to kill the president and they get that grenade past security, then I really don't think they would have come up a hundred feet short.

R

RedOctober

gurlgonewild said:
:rolleyes: i forgot the cheney factor! ah, crap back to the drawing board.
Yeah, that's what I already told you guys.. :cool:

Enough assholes that are worse than Bush.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RogueSmiley said:
You made it sound like I only blamed the secret service.
I said how bad I thought the security was cause the grenade got past them.
Not trying to be a dick but:

RogueSmiley said:
That pretty much sounds like you were blaming the Secret Service. You may not have mean to but that's how it came out.

Exactly, most not all.

And I'm talking about how bad the security of the security staff was.

Once it gets past them, the ones left to defend the president is the secret service.

R

RedOctober

Already in Roman ages there was the Praetorian Guard, which protected the Emperor. And sometimes slit his throat if he was a complete jerk.
Nowadays the secret service seems to have only jerks.
They see muslim enemies that are in fact American agents. :bomb:

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
There are so many people in the world who wants to kill prez Bush. I say he's gonna end up with a bullet in his head. And I ain't gonna cry when it happens.