WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Greyhounds part II

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
So, as many of you know I work with Greyhounds rescued from the race tracks. As some of you know, I, in particular, work with dogs that have severe problems and only have a 50/50 chance of survival. These dogs suffer from abuse, medical problems, drug addictions or a combination of the above.

I mentioned before that I had a new dog in the house. Cozmo. He suffered from a few medical problems and a serious addiction to Methamphetamines. Yes, they give many of these dogs crystal meth to make them run faster. Cozmo made it through detox.

A few weeks ago he died because of a broken rib. The break became infected because of a weakened immune system brought on by the drug use. Given the nature of the dogs I work with, this wasn’t an unexpected outcome.

However, there is no reason this dog should have died. He came to me with a broken rib that was most likely caused by being kicked. He was “foot shy” meaning that if he thought you might touch him in any way with your foot he recoiled. He had been kicked.

That’s the life of a track dog. A very small kennel (usually too small for them to turn around in), poor food, being forced to take drugs to increase their performance and abuse.

If you think I’m exaggerating the situation look here: (not for the feint of heart)

Starved

Cocain use

Shot in the head

End of Season

A cage

I was rescued

Way more reading

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not biased. But anyone who races dogs supports the above kinds of actions. Anyone who bets on dogs supports it. Anyone who goes to the track supports it.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Is it legal to give them drugs?

If so, why cause that's fucking cruel

If not, why aren't they doing anything about it?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
RageAgainst said:
Is it legal to give them drugs?

If so, why cause that's fucking cruel

If not, why aren't they doing anything about it?
Is it legal? No.

Why don't they do anything about it? Because a racing dog can bring in 250k a year in income. There's money in the industry. There's enough there to get many folks to look the other way.

The racing industry in its entirety is cruel. I honesty can not think of a single humane aspect. 300,000 dogs a year are raced. Less than 1% ever make it into an adoption home. 28,000 a year go unaccounted for.

When a Greyhound retires it is very rare that it is adopted into a home. Most are killed. And by killed I don't mean Euthenized with a painless shot. The three top methods of killing a non-racing greyhound are:

1. Beating the dog to death via blunt force trauma
2. Drowning the dog by forcing its head under water.
3. Shooting the dog

Number 4: Sell it to a lab to perform live expirements on it.

Number 5: Do you really want to know what a "Tijuana Hot Plate" is? PM me, I'll tell you. And if you think everything else I've mentioned isn't nice, you'll LOVE this one.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
jesus... That's so fucking sad.
About that dog being foot shy. That's just unnecessary.

And they're fucking drugged to run faster??
God dam...

That's so depressing man...
Rep for fighting against this fucked up shit.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
:(
I know what the "Hot Plate" is, I saw it on a website. I won't post it just yet and it's quite disturbing.

:thumbsdn: This is such a sad thing, any animal crulety is, but that is a huge number of greyhounds. :(

Slacker

Postaholic
why the hell do they do this to these dogs? come on the needs some fucking common sense!

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Fuckity fuck, Question changed, because I read the post wrong, Thanks Linksy. :(

So, just because there is a huge income, Why aren't the 'League of Protecting Greyhounds' doing more about it? 28,000 a year of greyhounds is A LOT.

Slacker

Postaholic
it is illegal he sad it UbberSkippy ask Is it legal?no that is what he said

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Linksy said:
why the hell do they do this to these dogs? come on the needs some fucking common sense!
Is what happens legal? No

Why does it happen and go completely unpunished? $$$

Slacker

Postaholic
i see your point. but the police and animal catchers dont benifit of the grayhounds money so why should they care if the person who is torturing these animals makes money off of them they should just take the dogs it is the owners fault if they lose them they didnt take care of them.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Ok so Skippy, from your expriences, and information, How is a way to stop it? (Doesn't matter if it's not possible right now, Just want to know)

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Linksy said:
i see your point. but the police and animal catchers dont benifit of the grayhounds money so why should they care if the person who is torturing these animals makes money off of them they should just take the dogs it is the owners fault if they lose them they didnt take care of them.
You still don't understand. The money involved tends to make a LOT of people look the other way. Racing dogs are valued between $50,000 and $250,000 each. Each race track will have between 1,500 and 3,000 dogs at any given time. The dogs are kept in wharehouses stacked on top of each other.

What's really sad is that as valuable as the dogs are they're still treated so baddly.

Nobody wants to investigate this stuff. The local PD can't get involved without a crime being reported and the people doing this stuff aren't going to report themselves. If you or I report it we've got no proof so the cops have nothing to go on.

The only way this gets better is if the tracks close. The only way the tracks close is if people stop going to them.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Since most people see animals as their property to many of those sick fucks beating a dog to death for doing poorly, is like kicking your car when mad. People are so selfish it's evil.

It's all about the Benjamins.

Slacker

Postaholic
UberSkippy said:
You still don't understand. The money involved tends to make a LOT of people look the other way. Racing dogs are valued between $50,000 and $250,000 each. Each race track will have between 1,500 and 3,000 dogs at any given time. The dogs are kept in wharehouses stacked on top of each other.

What's really sad is that as valuable as the dogs are they're still treated so baddly.

Nobody wants to investigate this stuff. The local PD can't get involved without a crime being reported and the people doing this stuff aren't going to report themselves. If you or I report it we've got no proof so the cops have nothing to go on.

The only way this gets better is if the tracks close. The only way the tracks close is if people stop going to them.
srry Ubber i didnt understand they are exspensive and if they got took away by the animal control the animal control could get sued alot of money and the owner of the dog would probaly win.