WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Greyhounds

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Depending on how you read this it may belong in "Life Sucks" or here. I've used my bestest judgement but I could be wrong.

For those of you that don't know (which is all of you) I work with retired racing Greyhounds. For those of you that don't understand what goes on in a racing dogs life here's a glimpse:

Racing Greys will usually spend 22 hours a day in a cage that has less than 2 square feet of floor space. They will eat once. They will eat D grade meat which is basically the rotten scraps that landed on the floor. They will be given anabolic steroids and other drugs to "enhance" their track performance. These "other drugs" caninclude (but are not limited too) methanphetamines and cocaine.

Racing greyhounds are frequently shot, electrocuted or beat to death for failure to win a race. Their left ears are usually cut off to make identification easier. Their left ears are tattooed with a serial number while their right ears are tattoed with mony/year of birth plus birth order.

A Greyhound that doesn't race has a life expectancy of 15-16 years and few if any health problems. A Grey that does race faces a life expectancy of 12 years MINUS 2 years for each year on the track PLUS eye problems, liver problems, kidney problems, spinal cord problems and heart problems.

Oddly enough, dog tracks are frequently subsidized by tax payer money. They rarely are able to even sustain themselves much less make a profit.

Training frequently involves animals like squirrels, ferrets, rabbits and chickens. Live animal training is illegal in all 50 states yet it still occurs at all dog tracks.

Fuck it. I've got a newly rescued grey puking his guts out because I'm not about to give him his hit of meth. In the next decade he'll die of bone cancer because of the anabolic steroids. But between now and then, he'll at least live an easier life and won't be beat to death with a 2x4 because he only runs 42 miles an hour.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Good job saving him. I hope he gets better soon. You could sedate him to make his withdraws easyier. Give him a benadryl.

I really respect what you do. Being a huge dog lover, I find it a shame these dogs have to go through this sort of thing. I've only seen a Greyhound in real life once. I've never seen anything like it. They're such a unique dog. It almost didn't look real when I saw it. It reminded me of a cartoon. :gun: to the people who find what they do with these dogs ok or amusing and to people who even go to these races and support them.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
That is fucking SAD and WRONG!

At the dog park I take my dog to, there are quite a few greyhounds. They are so beautiful. Most of them were abused at some point and people had rescue them. They need a lot of attention. I would love to have a greyhound one day, when I have a big back yard for them to play.

Someone I know has a greyhound that was rescued, but the damage was already done. When it goes outside or whenever, it can't relax. It's always pacing and being generally weird. Weird to see a dog act like that.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Holy shit. So I log on today and see a thread about Greyhounds. I'm all excited cuz of my work with them. Then I find out I wrote it. Wow, drunk posting can be dangerous.

A little background I guess would be in order.

I have 2 Grey's of my own. I work with one particular group here in Idaho as a foster home. I take in the dogs that have particularly bad problems and rehab them to an adoptable state. Generally they've either been so badly abused they are non-functioning, they have major medical issues or (as in the case of this one) they have serious detox to go through.

This little one had a pretty good meth fix going for him and he's stopped cold turkey. So right now he gets a lot of Pedia Light to keep himself hydrated. He can't really hold much food down but I expect that to end in the next week or so. After that I'll work on introducing him to life in a house which tends to include cats, glass, tv's and all sorts of noises, smells and sights.

If you've ever thought about adopting a Grey but aren't sure, feel free to ask me questions. I'll tell you right now that they tend to be very calm and low energy dogs. (Most people figure they'd be a mile a minute bouncing off the walls nuts.) The first 6 months can be tough but after that they adjust to home life and pretty much become the laziest fucking dogs you'll ever know.

bnccoder

Postaholic
I wonder if you gave him a benadryl.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Nope. He just has to stay hydrated. Greyhounds have some goofy assed body functions and don't always process drugs right. Benadryl most likely wouldn't be a problem but until we can get his body chemistry right he's on a pretty tight diet that includes only pedia light, water, white rice and boiled beef.

All things considered he's doing pretty good. He'll be adoptable in a few months.

Gordy

I like Goverment Cheese!
Wow wtf i dont see how people can treat dogs like that.My dog is half greyhound and like Uberskippy said shes about the laziest damn mutt ever.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
You're one of the good ones U-Skippy. And in all seriousness, if I ever witnessed someone treating an animal like that, I can't say I'd be responsible for my actions.

Happened on a smaller scale when I was like 12. I saw some kids behind a local supermarket, throwing rocks in a box. I peeked in as I walked by, and saw it had a litter of kittens. 2 of them were already dead. these kids were like 8 or so, but I figured if they were man enough to hurt something 1/100th their size, they were man enough for an ass whooping. Two of them ran away, but I grabbed the third, by his overall straps. I slapped him around a bit then pushed him down into a puddle of slime water next to the dumpster. He ran home and told his parents he had his ass kicked. They came over and wanted to call the cops. Till I showed them the 2 remaining kittens and explained why their precious angel got his ass kicked. I remember hoping he got his ass kicked again when they got home.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Anyone who beats an animal diserves to get his ass whooped.

bockscar

failamanjaro
I had a retired Greyhound for about ten years. He lived until he was fifteen, and we were told that it is unheard of for them to live that long. We rescued him from a track in Alabama. His racing name was SeeMeToo and he was a great dog. A bit neurotic, but yea, he had been abused too. He used to hide the fact that he enjoyed playing with toys. We bought him some stuff to chew on, as you know their teeth are generally bad, and he would always stop playing when we walked into the room. It was so damned funny. It took us five years to finally get him to sleep somewhere other than in his crate. They definately carry psychological scars with them. Glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys this particular breed of dogs. I love Greyhounds. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
He's doing pretty good these days. He managed to keep down his rice this morning and he's obviously feeling a bit better than he did.

The dogs that come to my house are the rough cases. They've usually got a less than 50/50 chance. Generally that's due to medical issues, drug issues or they just won't develop a personality that's suiteable for a home.

This boy, "Cosmo" is doing better than I expected at this stage. He certainly needs to put weight on but he's doing better. He gets beef for dinner tonight. (Very soft, very bland foods still for a long while.)

These dogs don't get smacked around at the tracks. Well, they don't JUST get smacked around. One of mine has whip scars, had been shocked with a cattle prod and had a steel rod jammed through his ear when I got him. I honestly have no clue what the rod through the ear was for. I could go on and on and on but it's not necessary. Throwing rocks at a box of kittens is very much the kind of sadism these dogs see every day.

But once they get over that, man are they funny dogs.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
that's so cute you guys! ALL OF YOU! :hug2: :inlove: :kcheek:

aw uber, they're so purdy! i want one to cuddle, and hug, and love, and smother w/ all my attention...lol *ahem* seriously.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I fucking LOVE greyhounds ... My older brother adopted one that he has had for about 5 years now, and she is doing great.
I had started to look into adopting one myself here in texas, but I ended getting a great dane that had been neglected and abandoned instead.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
breakology said:
I fucking LOVE greyhounds ... My older brother adopted one that he has had for about 5 years now, and she is doing great.
I had started to look into adopting one myself here in texas, but I ended getting a great dane that had been neglected and abandoned instead.
Adopting ANY dog that comes out of a bad environment is a good thing.

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
Good onya uber! its good work and keep it up!

As an aside, do you race any yourself?? i know you would treat them better

breakology

Kiss my Converse
yea, I needed a dog that made me look average size anyway :p

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
chucktheskiffie said:
Good onya uber! its good work and keep it up!

As an aside, do you race any yourself?? i know you would treat them better
Nope. They run only for their own enjoyment. Due to the way the tracks work, there is no such thing as a kind race. The dogs live at the track and are handled at the track. No matter what anyone tells you, if they race dogs for money, those dogs are abused.