WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Guitar stuff.. Any advice?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I'm getting pretty good at the guitar, I'm changing my christmas list around so I can ask for one and an amp too.. Right now I want a BC Rich Warlock and a Fender 25 watt amp. That good? I found some crazy deals on them like half off.. Is there any specific brand that gives really good sound and lasts for a long time so I wouldn't have to replace? Same goes for the amp. I may look at Ibanez.

EDIT:

Thinking about this guitar too:
http://www.brookmays.com/prod_disp.aspx?itemnum=ICX120BK&prodcode=zi000

This is the other guitar:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BCRBRWAR

Amp:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0231502000

And another amp:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBATB15D

Amp #3:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/480136/sourceid=qIZ6QbFLirGBAJfbYg88/befree_site_id=0009952098

Any guitarists out there now if these are good? I'm deciding between the two guitars and I want the Ibanez more, more money though, I think it's worth it if you want to sound good. I think the fender amp looks pretty good but I'm going to look into Ibanez amps too. What combo of guitar + amp would you do? I plan to buy a distorter and pedal thing later to alter the sound and make it sound sweet. Please let me know what you think.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I don't play guitar that well, but I used to sell them at a shop in Ohio. I would'nt go with the warlock, it may look kewl, but I have never been impressed with the sound. Ibanez is a fairly new company, I think they have been making guitars for only about 8-10 years now if my memory serves correctly, but I do remember that I did like the sound they had, but I am unsure of the quality for the long run. I don't know what your price range is, but my first recomendation would be a fender stratocastor american, with dual pick-ups (if you are more into rock) maybe single pick-ups if you you play more blues or jazz stuff.
If that is out of your price range, you could always try a fender strat mexican, will be about half the price. You should check out some of the yamaha strats also. One my favorite axes at my old store was a used yamaha strat, it had a really heavy sound to it I liked it alot.
If your price range is still a little lower, you should check out squiers. Some of their models are crap ... but some of the mid-priced ones $200-$350 are nice guiters. Squier is an off brand produced by fender, so they will be constructed very much the same, just with cheaper parts and lower quality bodys.
Also look at some of the jacksons or ESPs ... both make nice guiters in the lower to mid price range. Really, the best way to pick a guiter is to just go into a shop and try different ones. Pick one that sounds the best to you, higher price does'nt always mean better sound.
Now, with the amps ... I would'nt get a fender unless you are buying a tube amp. I hav'nt seen any of the products they have made recently, but i always prefered marshalls.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
breakology said:
bigass paragraph, very helpful though :p
Alrighty, I'll look into some of those brands, I'm really liking the Ibanez one I posted the link for, it's received crazy reviews. As for the amps, what do you think about the Ibanez ones on my first post, I've heard that using same maker for guitar and amp sounds really good, but I'll look into marshalls too.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Don't buy a BC Rich, or an Ibanez, IMO. I play guitar, and I have never been impressed with anything they have made. If you want a quality guitar, for cheap, take a look at the Fender Standard Strat HH (Has dual humbuckers). It's 400 dollars, but damn good; even for a mexican strat. Don't buy a squier, you will outgrow it too fast. As for an amp, get the 25R, it'll work out nice. Though, if you are like me, you will become power hungry and end up with a 150-watt amp that shakes your house before you know it. :cool:

Here is the link for the Guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511336/

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Fire_ze_Missles said:
Don't buy a BC Rich, or an Ibanez, IMO. I play guitar, and I have never been impressed with anything they have made. If you want a quality guitar, for cheap, take a look at the Fender Standard Strat HH (Has dual humbuckers). It's 400 dollars, but damn good; even for a mexican strat. Don't buy a squier, you will outgrow it too fast. As for an amp, get the 25R, it'll work out nice. Though, if you are like me, you will become power hungry and end up with a 150-watt amp that shakes your house before you know it. :cool:

Here is the link for the Guitar:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511336/
That guitar is a little out of my price range, I'm asking for it for christmas so It's gonna be under $250 or so.. I want to play rock and ska and stuff. So I can change to weezer, to reel big fish, and story of the year if I wanted to with it still sounding good through the categories.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
I don't know much about Ibanez amps, never used one. I'd say that using the same guitar with same amp is a myth though. Probably started by guitar companies so you would buy their products. Amps are like the guiters, just plug in to a buch at the store and see what sounds good. Since you probably won't have the cash for a fender tube, I recomended the Marshall because they use that tube emulator shit that many people seem to like.
For your guitar pricerange Ibanez or jackson is gonna be your best bet.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
breakology said:
I don't know much about Ibanez amps, never used one. I'd say that using the same guitar with same amp is a myth though. Probably started by guitar companies so you would buy their products. Amps are like the guiters, just plug in to a buch at the store and see what sounds good. Since you probably won't have the cash for a fender tube, I recomended the Marshall because they use that tube emulator shit that many people seem to like.

I'm saving up for a Fender 410 Deville. :thumbsup: In the way of tube emulation, I bought one of the new Digitech pedals, named the Bad Monkey. It is not a bad emulator at all, I rather enjoy the sound that I get out of it.

But back on topic, for $250. Buy a Squier, or maybe an Epiphone.

MsPunK

Tenderony
hi, i wouldnt advise buying guitars off the net if thats what your doiing, thyr ussually shodily made i dont know why it wud be different but i bought an epiphone flying V from there and the pick ups dont work properly. they sent me the wrong model i asked for a korina V which is the one with gold trimmings as it were, but they sent me the standard. :mad:

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Fire_ze_Missles said:
I'm saving up for a Fender 410 Deville. :thumbsup: In the way of tube emulation, I bought one of the new Digitech pedals, named the Bad Monkey. It is not a bad emulator at all, I rather enjoy the sound that I get out of it.

But back on topic, for $250. Buy a Squier, or maybe an Epiphone.
Heh, so much advice from so many people. I'll look into the Epiphones, I've tried some Squiers and I personally don't like them.

breakology said:
I looked at jackson too, still considering one, what marshall amp is good thats $150 or under?

lilstonerkat said:
hi, i wouldnt advise buying guitars off the net if thats what your doiing, thyr ussually shodily made i dont know why it wud be different but i bought an epiphone flying V from there and the pick ups dont work properly. they sent me the wrong model i asked for a korina V which is the one with gold trimmings as it were, but they sent me the standard. :mad:
Then you bought off a really shitty website, if all guitar websites were like that, they'd have no businses and therefore there wouldn't be any guitar sites.

I can safely say that the BC Rich Warlock is a piece of shit. I have a Gibson Faded SG Special myself, it's a damn good guitar, but if you don't have the money, I would suggest looking into some Epiphones. They are heavy, but Epiphone makes some good Les Pauls. Always remember though, you can get any guitar you want and just install different pickups. If you're going to do that, I'd suggest picking a guitar with a good feel. Ibanez was mentioned earlier in this thread and I happen to be partial to the Artcore series(semihollows).

As far as amps go, I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of wattage. I never liked the Marshall amps myself. Very overrated. Can't go wrong with a Crate. Also, I know people make jokes like "How do you get a Peavey amp? Write Peavey on an alarm clock radio lolololol" but really, they're pretty good amps.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Alright, I no longer actively play any instruments, but as a musician who got respectable at guitar, bass, and drums, I'd say spend the money on the amp. A mediocre guitar, through a good rig, can sound absolutely awesome. I serve as roadie/tech for my friend's band, and my 300 watt 15" Carvin amplifier can handle anything - from my old passive squire, to the bassist's active Ibanez (which sounds horrible on any amp). I'd suggest a Carvin because I've had nothing but good experience with them - I built my own guitar from a Carvin kit, and it absolutely rocks. My Carvin amp was great for a small gig today. Way easier to set up than the guitarist's Line 6.If I were you, I'd consider building your own from a Carvin kit - it took two months (including the finish, it could have been functional in a week), and it has one of the fastest and best necks I've ever felt (plus the feeling of playing a hand-crafted guitar is undescribable). It has dual twinblade humbuckers and a great overall feel and sound - punchy but with plenty of mwah. It wasn't too expensive, too. $500-ish was the total cost of the project.

So (eventually) returning to my main point, the amp is the most important thing. Just your fingers will impact your sound more than the guitar - the fact is that any guitar through any amp will sound like you, just with different subtelties. The amp, though, proves to be the most effective tool to tweak your sound, aside from major surgeries :thumbsup:

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
TheLampIncident said:
As far as amps go, I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of wattage. I never liked the Marshall amps myself. Very overrated. Can't go wrong with a Crate. Also, I know people make jokes like "How do you get a Peavey amp? Write Peavey on an alarm clock radio lolololol" but really, they're pretty good amps.
I also have a Peavy amp, and a Gibson guitar, i would moderately reccomend them both. Not expensive, fairly sturdy. D'Addario strings, they work well for the Gibson. Not very advanced in the knowledge of these things however, so take them all with a grain of salt. Your guitar could be your best friend, so in the end, choose the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
I have played for over 25 years and I will say this: Ibanez I am sure makes some lower end lines, but even a lower end Ibanez is going to be better than a BC Rich. Don't buy the warlock for the shape. :)
The most important thing to remember is to choose and play what feels right to you. I don't recall who claimed that Fender is better than Ibanez, but this is just an opinion on what feels and sounds right to him. I have owned and played almost every make and model out there, and feel that Fenders have fat slow necks and are weak toned IMO. I prefer the Ibanez over most guitars. Paul Reed smith and custom makers aren't in the picture here.
Simply put no Effects, amp or guitar is going to make a crappy player sound good, and it works the other way as well if the guitar will stay in tune you should be able to make it sing the rest are just excuses. Get what you can now and practice.

On the amp front: Any amp you buy cheap is probably going to be solid state and or old. I would rather buy a very old whatever brand that is tube, or at least the pre-amp section is tube driven that an all solid-state amp.

Thanks for not listening, now go buy the warlock because you want to look like motley Crue’s comeback tour ROFL~~~

Peace Broken

tbsrk said:
I also have a Peavy amp, and a Gibson guitar, i would moderately reccomend them both. Not expensive, fairly sturdy. D'Addario strings, they work well for the Gibson. Not very advanced in the knowledge of these things however, so take them all with a grain of salt. Your guitar could be your best friend, so in the end, choose the one you feel the most comfortable with.
Hell daim, I've been using D'Addario strings as well lately. I grabbed a couple sets of .012 gauge. I've been breaking a lot of my lower strings lately so I decided to move up in string size again(I was using .011 before).

I agree with Broken in saying that Fender guitars are not that great. However, don't listen to a guy like Jack White who will say that the Fender Strat has no soul and then use a guitar that you could buy at Sears or something(and then say that he LOVES it when his guitar goes out of tune)...

I heard a mention of Carvin amps too. I remember hearing once that Carvin speakers sucked. Now I want to try one of these amps myself and form my own opinion.

What I plan to do now is buy a cab off one of my friends. He has a Crate full stack so I want to buy one of his cabs so I'll have a half stack and so will he. Hooking up Peavey Bandits to cabs is actually pretty common from what I've seen.

Broken

It's been awhile but I don't recall Carvin being that bad. You could always swap the speakers when you can afford better.
I played thru a carvin for awhile, I seem to remember it be good for jazz and heavy tones. Peavey do they still use blackwidows? I hate to make blanket statements but Peavey sucks.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ok:

1. I'm not going to build my own damn guitar for the first electric guitar I'll own. $500 + Having to build it on my own = Sucky.

2. I'm going with the Ibanez ICX-120.

3. If someone could please help me with an amp, all I'm hearing is suggestions and I can't FIND any your talking about, I'm trying to get the best possible under $200. I'll get a bigger/better one when I get serious and start a group thing.

Broken

spend the money on the guitar. By the best Ibanez you can afford, and if you are just looking for a practice amp for in your room. Crate makes some really cheap amps that are perfect for practice. If you are trying to play with a Drummer all bets are off, you have to spend money. What stage are you at?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Uhh pretty much both, I play on my own but I have a drummer I try and play with, I want inbetween a practice amp and a huge amp.. I'm thinking like 30W stuff..

Broken

Are the drums acoustic? If so I think you should be looking more around the 100w amps unless you are going to Mic thru the PA.

Do what you want though.