WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gumbo at 4:30.... A.M.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I'm cooking Gumbo. I got bored. If I get bored enough, I may even upload some Pics of the stuff. But since I don't know what it's supposed to look like, It may be a little odd looking.

Edit: as always, a larger than life picture for your enjoyment... or whatever...

Edit2: It is fucking awsome! Thanks/Props to the recipe supplier/giver-outer! :thumbsup: :p

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
mmmmmmmmmmm gumbo!!!! yum, yum!

pass some this way bwm peas :p

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Dang! That looks great. I'm about to starve here. How about passing on the recipe?

Jung

???
Premium
countrygrl said:
How about passing on the recipe?
This is the recipe I sent BW.

Gumbo

For shrimp and okra gumbo:
  • 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons of flour
  • l large chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 5 or 6 cloves, chopped garlic
  • 1 cup of chopped green pepper
  • 1 can of tomato sauce
  • 1 can of tomatoes ("Rotel" tomatoes for a spicier taste!)
  • 1 pound, fresh sliced okra (or 2 boxes of frozen sliced okra)
  • 2 pounds of fresh shrimp
  • 2 - 3 cups water
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
  • 1 bay leaf

For seafood gumbo, add to the above:
  • 1 small can of crabmeat or 3 fresh gumbo crabs
  • 1 jar oysters
  • Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue to stir until the flour is dark brown. Add the next 4 ingredients; stir until onions are clear.
  • Add tomato sauce. Stir until it gets crumbly or dry. Fry okra in another skillet until it is no longer sticky or stringy. Add tomatoes and fried okra.
  • Cook slowly, adding 2 to 3 cups of water--a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in one teaspoon of sugar.
  • Cook for about an hour on a low fire, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of pot; adding water if necessary. Add the shrimp and the bay leaf (and if desired, the oysters and crabmeat).
  • Cook another 30 minutes to an hour, adding seasoning to taste.
  • Serve over boiled or steamed rice.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Thanks!!! *making a shoppin' list*

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
mmmmm that looks good.......and im freakin starvin at work over here :'(

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
from urbandictionary....

Gumbo

A dish that originated from the black people of the South-Eastern United States. It is a mixture of meat, okra, leafy vegetables, chili peppers, and whatever leftover food you have.

Are you sure that was the month-old pot roast you put in that gumbo because I swear I saw something swimming in my bowl when I stuck my spoon in?

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
im glad you posted that to help out us less un-lazy aussies....

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Wait, wtf is Okra, and WTF is gumbo???

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Wait, wtf is Okra, and WTF is gumbo???
Okra are these little green vegetables that are sort of like like peppers. They look like hairy jalapeno's. Gumbo is... WTF you mean, DG? It's kind of like a soup that Cajuns eat. The reau can be made from beef gravy. Its got onions, cayenne pepper and other stuff to give it that favor. It's got rice in it, along with chicken and/or sausage and/or shrimp and/or okra and/or litttle bitty crabs (hence the term 'Gumbo Crab'). It tastes really good with filet (aka saffron). :thumbsup: