WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Half Life 2

Here's my problem... I'll be happily getting my ass handed to me while playing half life 2, when suddenly, without warning, the game crashes. Sometimes after 10 minutes of playing, sometimes after 3 hours.

It gives me this error message:

:confused:

Jung

???
Premium
Google for and run either memtest or memtest86+.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Google for and run either memtest or memtest86+.
Amen, bad memory. I used to get that with my Crucial 512MB PC2100 stick. It's in my machine now but running fine.

Dunno what happened.

jamesp

In Memory...
its not necessarily "bad memory" it could be a problem in the actual source code. in programming, you store variables and whatnot, really anything you declare in a program, and that variable is stored in memory, either on the heap (call it HD memory) or on the stack (call it RAM), well, if HL2 tries to write a variable to a piece of memory that already contains something from another program then you get a memory read error. in this case really the only thing you can do is reformat or uninstall some useless programs.

Descent

Hella Constipated
jamesp said:
its not necessarily "bad memory" it could be a problem in the actual source code. in programming, you store variables and whatnot, really anything you declare in a program, and that variable is stored in memory, either on the heap (call it HD memory) or on the stack (call it RAM), well, if HL2 tries to write a variable to a piece of memory that already contains something from another program then you get a memory read error. in this case really the only thing you can do is reformat or uninstall some useless programs.
So THAT'S why Steam was the only program to cause that!

Thanks!

jamesp

In Memory...
Descent said:
So THAT'S why Steam was the only program to cause that!

Thanks!
If you are refering to Steam causing a HL2 memory read error, I seriously doubt it, seeing as how Steam is a very crucial part of both HL games and the CS games.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
Memory read errors are usually a sign of bad ram. In any event though, that's just the most obvious possible cause. Until he can rule out bad memory, we're just guessing at random.

jamesp

In Memory...
what do you think a mem program like the one stated does? it cleans off old program variables that are pointless now, or reallocates the variables to somewhere else. And im sure it does some other stuff too, but thats just one thing.

Descent

Hella Constipated
jamesp said:
If you are refering to Steam causing a HL2 memory read error, I seriously doubt it, seeing as how Steam is a very crucial part of both HL games and the CS games.
Only upon exiting the Steam client.

Jung

???
Premium
Honestly, any answers we provide you now are just going to be best guesses. Your best bet is probably going to be the Valve Forums. Chances are, someone else (more likely quite a few people) have experienced the same problems, and there is porbably a fix.

jamesp

In Memory...
dude, jung, you just ruined a shit load of potential argument and thought provokation. asshat.