WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Gaming Half-Life 2

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Daikatana is the ONLY FPS to have a really deep plot,
You've obviously never played Red Faction, Deus Ex or XIII. Those are just off the top of my head though.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
It's true HL2 is similar to HL1, but that is not a bad thing. This is simply the best FPS game out there. End of Story. It's an easy 9/10 rating. Ignore what jstager wrote. It's worth every single penny spent on it.

It runs flawless on my 2.6Ghz AMD Barton cpu with an ATI 9800 nonPro. Just be sure to use ATI's catalyst 4.12 beta drivers. I'm sorry that you, JStager, run a dog of a CPU that is well over 3 years old and not meant for gaming. On top of that, you likely have your physics and other settings set too high for your low-end cpu system.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Never mind...this game kicks ass!

Oh, and thank you for telling me about the 4.12 beta drivers. I'm going to install those now.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Maybe when I pay off a few things and get tired of Halo 2 I'll buy it.

Or maybe torrent it...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
List of HalfLife 2 Tweaks

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=411450#411450
Dave Baumann of Beyond3D said:
ATI users might want to use the following command for areas of HL2 that are graphics limited (this might work with CS:S as well):

+r_fastzreject 1

The command enables Z fill geometry pass in order to speed up rendering of the full scene rendering pass - by default I'm told it is disabled for ATI as they had some slight performance drops in the more CPU limited levels, however there are gains to be had in graphics limited levels.

AFAIK this is presently a default option for NVIDIA (the testing was done back with 9800 / FX's), but should be updated as the default for both in the future.
Here's another tweak that has to do with forcing preloading of sounds.

In the HL2 config file, Steam\SteamApps\<<userid>>\half-life 2\hl2\config\config.cfg, ensure that sound preloading is enabled with:

sv_forcepreload "1"
Another thing that helped smooth things out for me was to defrag the drive after the content was unlocked.

Descent

Hella Constipated
No shit.

Oh yes...I can't play it again until my new BIOS chip comes :( .

Bullshit.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
This game is like a time machine. I hardly have much spare time so when I sit down to play, I figure it'll be for at most an hour. Well, the next thing I know it's over three hours later...

Such a fun game. Why must I be cursed with having to work in the morning...

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I'm not getting Half Life 2 because:

1. It costs a lot for a computer game and I am on a low budget being a teen
2. It would take me away from trying to master Halo 2
3. It would barely run on my computer and I would be forced to get upgrades (which I don't want to do because I barely ever play computer games)
4. And I didn't like the Half Life 1 story very much, zombie stuff kind of gets old, if you look at Halo 1 and 2 it has zombies and a ton of other shit.
5. I heard Half Life 2 didn't have a multiplayer, which would kill the purpose for me because thats mostly all I play.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
CS source....that would be the only thing i would get...but i would no doubt become a junkie...i used to play the one for xbox live....i was addicted for almost a year. And p99 you should prolly just quit right now...I'm already God on that game and i have the shittiest connection ever...Un-fucking-stopable.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well well well, nice job, Valve.

I had to reinstall Steam today. I backed up all of my GCF files, so that I wouldn't have to redownload everything.

Bull-fucking-shit.

Unlike in the old version of Steam, ALL of my save games are gone. FUCKING KAPUT. I'm stuck using my bro's PC to get some similar ones :( .

Excellent oversight, Mr. Newell. Now stop eating Krispy Kremes and get your fucking programmers to fix this shit!

Oh yeah, I put all my old parts into my Presario case, so it's all good. I can play HL2 now :p .

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I take it you don't read the SteamPowered forums? There's a few posts over there that explain what exactly is backed up when you use the built in backup tool. All in all, you must also manually backup the save games. In the case of HalfLife2 this is in the /Steam/SteamApps/<account-id>/half-life2/hl2/SAVE directory. Another alternative is to copy over *.sav files from any subdirectories of /Steam/SteamApps/<account-id>/.

BumB

Hoodrat
This game owns >.> I got it few days ago.. have played it too much already... HL2.. Halo 2.. Im fighting for which one I want to play more.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I never bothered to read those forums, except for when the CS:S Beta was giving me shit...

Anyhoo, I'm up and playing again, woohoo!