WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Half Mast

I will try to keep this short. I know there are enough posts about New Orleans and I comparison this is highly trivial. An American city has been damn near destroyed with thousands of people suspected of being dead. One of the worst Natural disasters (if not the worst) in American history. Today we lower our flags to half mast because Chief Justice Rehnquist dies. One man gets the respect that thousands and a city deserved. Petty I know but something about it just bothers me.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
It was not at half mast because Bush doesn't care about black people and New Orleans is mostly populated by blacks. It is further insult to injury and people should be outraged at this injustice.

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
crypt: thx for mentioning that

This whole situation is the whole reason I found this site. All I could think is WTF all week.

Religious freaks saying it was God's will for the sinful.
Bush cracking jokes while people suffer.
Gov't departments only responding because the news busted their asses.

<rant>
On another note, the situation as a whole isn't getting the response it needs throughout the south. All of southern Mississippi is still without much aid and pleading for assistance.

Both Rice and Bush were on 30 day vacations...I don't know about anyone else, but I don't know too many people who can go on 2 weeks vacation without coming back to work without a bunch of 'fires' to put out.

Our whole nation has issues right now and it's a shame that most of our valiant troops are overseas, most likely torn apart that they are fighting someone else's war and not able to help out those in need back home.
</rant>

One of my good friends is on the USS Battan right now. They are in the Gulf (of Mexico on Persian) as we speak Providing water, and air support.

I am stationed in Japan on a mine sweeper that has almost no useful job that I have seen in the past year here. I think any one of us on this ship would jump at the chance to return home where we could be of some use to a reconstruction effort. Or to be able to provide aid to friends and family that have survived through this.

My access to the news can be spotty at best so I have missed some of the finer points on the whole situation. I think that the lowering of the flag for a fucking Judge and not for a national disaster shows where our top level leadership mindset is at. As a citizen it sickens me. As a Sailor .... there are no words for my anger. As a human I am not suprised.

I don't know what else to say.

alright, im not going ot be racist or any such thing here, down south in that area is inhabited right now mainly by the poorest mainly black people, and from what ive seen so far, the people that are there are ignorant and selfish. on the news interviews all i hear is the people bumbling about whining about how they are geting cold m.r.e.'s and theres no heat, and why people arent doing more for them. people who have been on welfare most of thier lives. lets c how they respond if we do nothing and let them fend for themselves, if i was down there ide be gracious for whatever i could get. thoes people arent in the military, and havent done a damnd thing to deserve the respect of half mast.
(be careful to remember that im not being racist, im focusing on a group who hapens to be primarily of one race, i cant exactly control that or thier actions)

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Media is biased and what you are seeing is a small sample of many. You cannot group the complainers with the thousands of grateful evacuees any more than you can say that they are all looters, rapists, or murderers.

I found the complaining about the MREs humorous coming from a native who probably grew up eating crawfish. :takeshit:

crypto: Whatever news you are getting is probably enough...I can almost guarantee that you don't want what they are force feeding everyone in this nation. Example: FoxNews reported that NOLA PD shot and killed Army Corps of Engineer Contractors and it took 4 hours to find out that the PD actually shot at 6 jackasses who were firing on the Contractors (two died).
I can summarize it all for you: Chaos along the Gulf, Chaos in NOLA, Chaos in our Media, and retarded stupidity from all political leaders involved.

alright, im not going ot be racist or any such thing here, down south in that area is inhabited right now mainly by the poorest mainly black people, and from what ive seen so far, the people that are there are ignorant and selfish. on the news interviews all i hear is the people bumbling about whining about how they are geting cold m.r.e.'s and theres no heat, and why people arent doing more for them. people who have been on welfare most of thier lives. lets c how they respond if we do nothing and let them fend for themselves, if i was down there ide be gracious for whatever i could get. thoes people arent in the military, and havent done a damnd thing to deserve the respect of half mast.
(be careful to remember that im not being racist, im focusing on a group who hapens to be primarily of one race, i cant exactly control that or thier actions)
i imagine that after being in a house with AC, access to a grocery store, water, bed, etc..... anyone would pretty much be in shock knowing that all of it is gone.

i'll put it this way-- our local Red Cross division used our civic center to host evacuees and refugees. those people are so thankful that they are living there. some of those people were evacuated from New Orleans and brought to New Iberia and so many people said "just simply being able to use a toilet that flushes is like a luxury right now. being in a place that doesn't smell like a 20 year old casket feels like heaven."

i don't blame those people at all. they have nothing. bank account holders in new orleans who have hibernia, bank one/chase, teche federal, and Bank of America now have NO MONEY because banks stored account information in New Orleans (now washed away) and backed it up in Metarie, LA (now washed away). the FDIC stepped in and tried to give people money, but no one knows how much to give.

and those people don't even know that yet.

Well I expected as much out of the media.... It usually takes them some time to get their shit together and all start reporting the same thing the AP is shoving down their throats. The difference is all I get is little snippets from Yahoo and word of mouth from guys I work with that have family down there.

To have access to CNN for about an hour would be nice sometimes then I think It would just piss me off more.

I am glad to see that the military is stepping up and providing assistance to the ravaged emergency response forces in the gulf coast areas. For once we are being used for a constructive effort (don't even let me go on that tangent).

As for the area being predominantly black and poor this may be true. That is just one of many cross sections of society that made up the gulf coast. Regardless they are still citizens of this country. A persons loss should not be measured on a sliding scale of how much money they have in the bank.

And as for being ungrateful for being given a cold MRE to eat after having lost everything that was yours.... shit I've eaten those things hot and cold and they pretty much suck ass I might be tempted to complain.... especially if I had grown up on Cajun food....myself.

Everywhere you go you are going to find people not "worthy" of help. Those that will bite the helping hand or those that will take advantage of even a situation of this magnitude. After having traveled to New O on many occasion I have found the city to be full of some of the kindest, friendliest people. The actions of a few assholes should not take away from the suffering and hardship that the masses have endured.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
As to the news Media... Friday I watched a thing on the Today Show about the whole fucking mess. 30 minutes of looters, people raping women going to the bathroom etc. 15 seconds on the gas station owner who gave away all of his gas 5 gallons at a time to anyone who needed it.

30 seconds on a family who found their house destroyed, got a flat tire, no food and ran out of gas the the grocery store that gave them cookies and lemonade, the auto parts place next door that gave them 2 cans of fix-a-flat and a 2 second shot of some random stranger walking up and giving them a 5 gallon can of gasoline without saying a word.

Followed by a 2 minute blurb of el presidente FuckJob walking around in a daze, 5 minutes of polititians blaming eveyone ELSE for it and another 30 minutes of "storries" of looters.

No, I'm sorry but what we're seeing on the news is shit that gets ratings. People shooting and looting makes for good news. People doing the right thing (let's guess an call ing 98% of them) doesn't.

I have been here staring at the computer screen for 20 mins trying to think of a response. The only thing that comes to mind is that the news will only get worse as soon as the AP firmly get ahold of the situation... Violence sprinkled with a little bit of anything humanitarian gets ratings. The decay at the core of one of our countries problems. If you want your 15 mins of fame then show us your worst.