WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Hard Drive

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Okay, after 3 years or so, my 35 gig or so hard drive is nearly full. I have a dell Dimension 2300 which I am not interested in replacing, I just want to add a slave drive or something of the sort.

A quick search on NewEgg brought me this, Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB SATA, hard drive. I am interested in something around that size/price.

What do you folks reccommend? I am not tech-savvy so please be dumb for me :happysad:

Jung

???
Premium
100GB for $59.50
120GB for $68

Personally I would go with the 100GB, especially since it's only about $5.50 more than the 80GB. Or if you have a few more dollars to spend, the 120GB one should last a while.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Your ancient system does not support SATA drives. You will need to get a normal PATA/Ultra-ATA/IDE drive. If I were you, I'd opt to spend a little bit more to get 3-times the storage: 250Gig IDE Drive

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Is it compatible with my computer? Is there a way to check compatibility on NewEgg?

Edit:// Beaten by BRiT, thanks. I will check for PATA/Ultra-ATA/IDE specifications.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Okay, I will probably opt for this one, if it will be compatible as a slave drive with my dell, and will be compatible with a new computer when I do replace this one.

Does it meet those conditions?

Jung

???
Premium
Tt will be compatible with any PC that supports IDE drives. (Which is every single PC on the market today)

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
You might even want to use it as the main drive. The original drive in your computer might be 5400rpm. The drives linked to are 7200rpm. The difference between the two speeds is quite noticable.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
junglizm said:
Tt will be compatible with any PC that supports IDE drives. (Which is every single PC on the market today)
Awesome! Ordered. Another Awesome Computing Chamber Success Story!

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
BRiT said:
Your ancient system does not support SATA drives. You will need to get a normal PATA/Ultra-ATA/IDE drive. If I were you, I'd opt to spend a little bit more to get 3-times the storage: 250Gig IDE Drive
if it took him 3 years to fill up 35gigs i doubt he will need that much storage. but you know always nice to have.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Uhhh 1 quick question now that you've ordered yourself a 250Gig drive. What OS are you using? You may very well need to download a "patch" or "driver" to get your system to recognize a disk of that size.

A 3 year old system from Dell may very well not recognize that as anything more than ~132 gigs otherwise.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Drive space tends to fill up proportional to how much space exists. When you barely have any space, you barely use it. When you have plenty of space, you find ways of using it.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Well, I plan to put it in my next computer when I upgrade, so having a lot of space is planning for the future, I believe.

If I have to download a patch or driver, that shouldn't be too difficult.

As for the master/slave thing, my OS and all of my programs on on this older, slower hard drive, so I don't think it would run any faster if the faster drive was the master (but I could be wrong).

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I mean you should reinstall everything onto the newer faster drive.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I will look for all of my CDs :D If I find all the important ones I will make the new one the master.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
If you can keep both HDD's in the computer, you should be able to install on the new HDD, leaving the old HDD unhooked. Then boot to the new one, and hook up the old HDD, and copy anything you want off of it.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
BrIONwoshMunky said:
If you can keep both HDD's in the computer, you should be able to install on the new HDD, leaving the old HDD unhooked. Then boot to the new one, and hook up the old HDD, and copy anything you want off of it.
Will all the programs still work if I merely copy them to the new one, or will I have to re-install them?

Junglizm said:
XP SP1 includes the 48bit LBA addressing fixes for the superficial 137GB limit.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
Well, my computer is current with updates, so I think I'm good on that account.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
You'll have to re-install programs, but all the data, such as ripped music and other various bits of downloaded material will transfer easily enough.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I will do that if I can find all my program disks.