WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Hard math problems

twofivekidd9

Big Floppy Donkey Dong
Throw down a hard math problem and I will solve it, or at least I will try. Yes Morelos this is where you can flame me with a hard problem You think I can't solve. But I will try because I am bored.

morelos

lexicon incognito
hm.. ok. but i want you to tell me all the math you've had. i mean, it would be really unfair of me to say something like, "in neutral geometry, prove that if the angle sum of all triangles is 180 degrees, that the neutral geometry is euclidean," because you probably don't know enough advanced math to know HOW you'd go about doing something like that.

i could give you a great calculus 2 problem: "use rotation methods to derive the formula for the volume of a sphere?"

i mean, it really helps when the person knows how much math you've had. it's not flaming if i have spent more time learning math; and it's gay to pointlessly show off skills. so tell me what you DO know and i'll try to push you just a little farther :D

~ dan ~

twofivekidd9

Big Floppy Donkey Dong
True. Alright then. I just finished Trig and stats. Shoot.

morelos

lexicon incognito
oh ok.. so you remember all those things like "a man standing at a cliff sees a boat off in the distance. he knows that from where he is standing, the linear distance to the boat is 1 kilometer. he also knows that the angle of decline from the horizontal is 30 degrees when he looks down at the boat. how far is the boat from the base of the cliff?"

that kind of stuff?

too bad you didn't do calculus. it gets a lot more fun and free-thinking right around then for math.

uh.. let's see.. off the top of my head, trig classes here also teach logarithms. did you learn the basic logarithmic rules (weakening operators as in "exponents can come out and become multiplication" etc, or how to change bases)?

~ dan ~

twofivekidd9

Big Floppy Donkey Dong
Its coming back to me. We learned logs in algebra 2. I am alot better at algebraic and trig identity problems anyway.

morelos

lexicon incognito
now that i think about it, i do have an algebra 2 / trig textbook from the high school i taught at last year. you want me to grab some problems and make them a little more difficult? :]

~ dan ~

ps, if you want to read some of the shit i've written for classes i've taken and classes i've taught, here's a url:

http://www.fruzzetti.org:8080/schoolwork/math

tell me what of it you understand and what you don't.

twofivekidd9

Big Floppy Donkey Dong
Start out with simple refreshers and then slam the hard ones down. Oh and give me some formulas please. I dont remember them all. I am really bored and need something to do.

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
I am the best at math, 1+1=3, see, I am the best!!!

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
twofivekidd9 said:
Throw down a hard math problem and I will solve it, or at least I will try. Yes Morelos this is where you can flame me with a hard problem You think I can't solve. But I will try because I am bored.

If a train leaves pen station NY at 5 am and travels 60 MPH west, and another leaves san francisco at the same time, and speed. Can an African swallow carry a one pound coconut from Detroit to Dayton before the trains crash?

sinew

Clitpickle
Heres a question, what is the derivative of [(2x^2)-4]/[3x^2]?

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
In my case, I have two questions for you to try. ;)

1) How can you make 4 equilateral triangles with 6 sticks?

2) Use a double integral and cartesian coordinates to find the volume of a sphere of radius 7.

morelos

lexicon incognito
i have a nice one my gf just sent me that i had forgotten since my second year as an undergrad:

it's not too hard, but please don't google the solution. give it a little go, and we'll see who can explain the answer best. PM me your answer and explanation.

remember, try to communicate it the best you can.

~ dan ~

morelos

lexicon incognito
shurikane said:
2) Use a double integral and cartesian coordinates to find the volume of a sphere of radius 7.
wow dude. i hope that's not like, a homework problem of yours. that shit sucks.

i managed it on the first try, though, and so i'm pretty proud of that. took me about twelve minutes. a nice long one. i hope you don't mind that i cut out pieces of the paper i used to re-order it in a more legible order. the way i went through it was very top-down and kinda discontinuous; i did the sub-problems as they came up. i think the rearrangement makes it better.

~ dan ~

morelos

lexicon incognito
btw, if i were lecturing a college level course, i would probably enjoy putting something like that on a calc 2 (for semester schools) / 3 (quarter schools) final. it's just enough info to get you going, but not enough to give the secrets away! it would even be tough if students had an open-book final. now that's creative.

~ dan ~

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
WTF! This thread makes my brain hurt....
Me need sleepy.....