WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Having a car is difficult

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
406
302
#1
Rising gas prices (possibly 5 bucks a gallon soon in the USA), registering the car every year (both came up this month), insurance every month, and now maintenance!

OK... need to have the rear brakes on the car done, the timine belt on the car, the rear brakes of the truck, tires for the truck, all coming right now. I can't keep up! All the money we've saved is gone, and with no credit cards, it's going to just fuck us. After bills, and just getting some of the above taken care of (registration and the timing belt goodbye 500+ dollars), we have 20 bucks for 2 weeks of groceries for a family of 3. We've been saving for months for the registration and the timing belt, these others just fucking blindsided us. We even OWN the vehicles with no monthly payments on them (I'm fucking glad!). Now I have to summon probably 400 more dollars minimum, which is impossible. The truck isn't even moving as I don't want to damage the drum.

ARGH! It just seems so fucking hard sometimes.
 
328
0
0
#2
dont do a check advance. it just slowly drags you down. you said you don't want to damage the drum. pads and shoes shouldn't be alot to put on. no brake specials going on anywhere near by?
 

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
6,696
4,055
287
#3
I say get a bike, you get faster to your destination if you live in town..and no gas needen no registration no insurance..no nothing! And you will save our nature from being detroyed..
 

dirtlover

The best and the worst
200
0
0
#4
Stardust said:
I say get a bike, you get faster to your destination if you live in town..and no gas needen no registration no insurance..no nothing! And you will save our nature from being detroyed..
true. except that your home insurance covers the bike, so you kind of have the insurance for it. plus you can have a lot of fun fooling around on one of mankind's most wonderful creations (though it's not allways safe;)). :occasion:
 

Jack

Personable
4,571
159
98
#5
Move to Chicago, take the train. While you're here, we'll get drunk.
 

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
6,696
4,055
287
#6
dirtlover said:
true. except that your home insurance covers the bike, so you kind of have the insurance for it. plus you can have a lot of fun fooling around on one of mankind's most wonderful creations (though it's not allways safe;)). :occasion:

well yeees but, but a car is safer? when you are driving ALOT harder? ;)
 

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
5,438
95
142
#7
your a slave to your car... :thumbsup:
 

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
2,902
97
112
#8
How long have you been driving the truck?!?!?! The drum brakes on the rear can last up to 7 years. My truck was 23 years old and only had the rear pads replaced 3 times. If there worn pretty bad don't drive it, but you can replace the rear brakes your self for 30 bucks. This is why i do all the work on my cars. I can walk you through the prosess. And where did you get a quote from? I don't know what kind of truck it is, but I think you might be getting screwd.
 
601
28
82
#9
Stardust said:
I say get a bike, you get faster to your destination if you live in town..and no gas needen no registration no insurance..no nothing! And you will save our nature from being detroyed..
I agree... we should all rides bikes... unless work is like more than 10 miles away..
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#10




:happysad:

That's why I'm looking into a Volvo 850 Turbo ;).
 
72
0
0
#11
If you want a truck that doesn't guzz up a gallon every 10 miles, try Honda. The Japanese know how to make fuel efficient cars.
Btw, in Cali (at least Southern), you pretty much have to have a car(or have access to one) or else you really can't go anywhere. With the exception of MAYBE Long Beach and a tiny part of LA the public transportation pretty much sux. Compounded with the fact that lots of other people also have cars and we have more expensive gas compared to other states, you get a bunch of angry little people in a bunch of angry little cars. Cheers
Btw, we should start putting more pressure on Toyota so their all-electric cars can reach perfection faster.
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
165
157
#12
DementialWave said:
If you want a truck that doesn't guzz up a gallon every 10 miles, try Honda. The Japanese know how to make fuel efficient cars.
Btw, in Cali (at least Southern), you pretty much have to have a car(or have access to one) or else you really can't go anywhere. With the exception of MAYBE Long Beach and a tiny part of LA the public transportation pretty much sux. Compounded with the fact that lots of other people also have cars and we have more expensive gas compared to other states, you get a bunch of angry little people in a bunch of angry little cars. Cheers
Btw, we should start putting more pressure on Toyota so their all-electric cars can reach perfection faster.
They also know how to make cars so underpowered that an ant can stop them from moving an inch.

In all honestly, we have a Lexus ES330 on balloon payment (NY State equivalent of leasing...) and it's very nice...

BUT THOSE FUCKING JAPS GAVE US ZERO REARLEGROOM :mad::mfinger:. Fuckin' assholes. I get out and my legs are shot.

I want my own car so bad :happysad:...Volvo 850 Turbo or bust here...
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#13
Descent said:




:happysad:

That's why I'm looking into a Volvo 850 Turbo ;).
Did I miss something? is it a maintless free car that runs on urine?
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#14
CopyLifted said:
Did I miss something? is it a maintless free car that runs on urine?
You could call it “maintenance free” because you can pretty much do nothing but change the oil, filters and plugs/wires for 300K+ miles. Not to mention that it gets great gas mileage. But a turbo is a stupid idea if you’re trying to save on gas.

I’m pretty sure it runs on diesel though.
 

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
4,790
86
0
#15
opps, sorry for the drunken typo/brain fart. :p Brain doesn't function on all 8's at the moment.

Interesting though. The brakes, timing belt and what not last 300k? hmm. Not to mention the insurance and licencing and so on. I believe any car regardless of what it is has alot of keep up.
 
223
0
0
#16
If I didn't have to have a car I probably wouldn't. I like driving my car but gas, insurance, payment, maintenance, and repairing damage asshats cause to it fucking blows. Not having a car in San Antonio is far worse.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#17
The brakes, timing belt
Yeah, I knew I'd leave something out. Point being, aside from normal maintenance, those cars run forever without any problems.
 

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
406
302
#18
Just got back from one trip to the shop, I'll answer some of the above questions.

I bought the truck 4 years ago, this is the first time the brake pads have needed replacing in the back.

I cannot possibly drive a bike here. I live in the foothills and there are no areas on the sides of most roads for bikes period. I'd be dead in a short time, or too hurt to work. Work is about 8 miles from home.

It gets pretty good gas mileage and it's been a great vehicle! This is the first major thing in 4 years.

I was just bitching about the cost of keeping even a great vehicle on the road. Maybe I'm just feeling the bite. Thanks for all the posts!
 
72
0
0
#19
You realli should've known about the maintenance price the day you decided to buy a truck. cheers ;)
 

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
9,733
4,267
387
#20
junglizm said:
You could call it “maintenance free” because you can pretty much do nothing but change the oil, filters and plugs/wires for 300K+ miles. Not to mention that it gets great gas mileage. But a turbo is a stupid idea if you’re trying to save on gas.

I’m pretty sure it runs on diesel though.
If it is a diesel and a turbo, He'll get great gas mileage. He won't have the ominous black puffs when he has to torque the engine, if it's properly configured. The only thing a turbo does, as I'm sure you're aware of, is shove more air into the combustion chamber, which allows for more complete combustion all across the powerband. They actually increase the efficiency of engines if you don't ricerize them by dumping more fuel into the combustionchamber.

JLXC said:
(registration and the timing belt goodbye 500+ dollars)
Wow, that seems expensive to me. Was the bulk of that registration or the timing belt? What kind of car was it, if you don't mind my asking?