WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Hello...I need opinions

What form factor should I build my server?

• microATX (mATX)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • ATX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Roffe Lemfaou

A frothy wiff of bliss.
Hello. I'm building a relatively middle to high-end server and want to hear some opinions on whether microATX or ATX is an overall more intelligent idea in the case of a server.

I've worked out a deal of getting some people to invest money into me building a server then having rights to the server's use (primarily WAN hosting of Counter-Strike: Source, HL2, and some other stuff) in an agreement for a year, upon which as everyone goes off to college will have to decide if they want to continue use of the server with further payment or relinquish rights. I have about 10 people each willing to invest $35 or so, and me covering the additional expense that that does not cover. Most likely I think they will relinquish rights. As I also go off to college then, I plan to use the T1 connection in the dorms to then begin hosting a variety of websites, hosting payments of course. This is a very easy way to make money and do something I love with something I didn't pay much for.

For you to get a feel for what Im aiming at, I know for certain that the box will contain:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16GHz 333FSB 512KB Processor
ASUS nVIDIA GeForce MX4000, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR 400 SDRAM (PC 3200)
SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1614N 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

The question is, mATX or ATX.

This is my biggest decision in the course of building the server, since this determines my choices from basically two species of parts I could buy (PSU, motherboard, case, chassis fans, etc.).

Thanks for your opinions.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I configured Scott an mATX rig for the dorm...The parts you see there are ones selected by me.

It was a silent setup, only the PSU and the case fan were active.

Roffe Lemfaou

A frothy wiff of bliss.
I've taken yours and Andrew's suggestions and am making my decisions from each. These parts were the ones that were shared preferences on both setups.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah, my bad. I thought he selected different parts.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
when you get your server up PM me or post the address, i play CSS and would love to play on your server :)

Roffe Lemfaou

A frothy wiff of bliss.
I realize no one wants to answer the question so I have changed this to a poll so its a little more effortless to explain your opinions.

Okay, I was in skool, and I asked my compu-sci teacher what he thought about your situation, and he told me that the microATX would be your best bet.. :) good luck!

Roffe Lemfaou

A frothy wiff of bliss.
You did that?! FOR ME?!

You're so sweet.

And of course thank you.