WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help accessing BIOS on an award Mobo, Compaq computer

Boycott

Soul Doubt
the computer is a compaq presario which I want to add another hard drive to (just a 17 gig one...) as a slave, and the master being some lame 5 gig one... OS is Windows 98... I'm fairly sure I have all the jumpers set up correctly... I think I just need to enter the BIOS and set something (i forget, i'm tired... sorry) to auto-detect the new drive, or manually set the slave and primary drives...

I can't enter bios - I can only enter CMOS... anyone have any ideas?
-Pressing Alt+Ctrl+Esc , Del, F2, F8 etc. did not work...

wilko125

Rep My Post
um id say if none of those work you are routed. some mobo's have boot menus that u can access by pressing shift+f8 also try all the F# keys, and is the motherboard usb as some boot commands will not work off a usb attached keyboard as it isnt configured during boot on most motherboards. try getting a ps/2 one and trying with that

Jung

???
Premium
I don't know what key it is off hand. Did you check their site?
wilko125 said:
and is the motherboard usb as some boot commands will not work off a usb attached keyboard as it isnt configured during boot on most motherboards. try getting a ps/2 one and trying with that
Ever heard of legacy USB support? I've never seen a system that didn't work with it...

wilko125

Rep My Post
junglizm said:
I don't know what key it is off hand. Did you check their site?

Ever heard of legacy USB support? I've never seen a system that didn't work with it...
yeah i think my problem is with the bootloader im using :S not the actual mobo

Descent

Hella Constipated
Okay, you press F1 or F10 to enter the BIOS. How do I know? I've owned a Presario 5700T and we still have a shitty Presario 1255 laptop lying around with a dead screen cable.

If it isn't either one of those you're fucked. By the way...Those older Compaq's lick the choad with BIOS options.

But if that's the Athlon system you're talking about, you probobly have an FIC AZ-31 motherboard.

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/1stmainboard_detail.aspx?type=legacy&model_id=49

Oh, and by the way - Don't flash the COMPAQ BIOS to an FIC BIOS. Your board will be stone dead.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I figured out that the reason the hard drive I was throwing into it wouldn't work is because the most his system would hold was 8gigs of space ... I had a nice laugh at the guy I was doing it for ...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Boycott said:
I figured out that the reason the hard drive I was throwing into it wouldn't work is because the most his system would hold was 8gigs of space ... I had a nice laugh at the guy I was doing it for ...
:lol:

Is this a 486 :happysad:? My 486 has an ECS board that can handle up to 8GB...As with all 486 boxes.

On a side note it has a very good motherboard...That ECS doesn't suck choads for some reason.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
a 450 will just hands down not hold the space - updated or not ...

Descent

Hella Constipated
P2-450? What the fuck dude?

I've run an 80GB on a Celly-500 and a 10GB on a shit-ass Dell OptiPlex GXa P2-300.

What model of Presario is this? I'll grab you the SoftPaq BIOS upgrade.