WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help me beat the system!

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Ok, my computer at work has a firewall that basically disables me from being able to go to the WTF chatroom. It also prohibits me from downloading stuff onto my computer and such. Bullshit. Apparently there are lots of people at the office who don't know shit about computers and download viruses and shit and in order to prevent that they got this brilliant idea.

Whoopee! So basically people like me are stuck.

So I don't have admin rights to my computer.

Anyway, when I get on chat I get an internet Security Warning asking if I want to run the PJIRC software. I click yes. Then I get a Windows Security Alert telling me that for my computer's protection some files did not run or whatever. And, of course it mocks me by telling me that my administrator can help unblock the program.

So I'm locked out of chat :( and just about anything else. And yes, that's why I'm in the arcade a lot and that's why I post on threads a lot, 'cause that's the only way I get to talk! lol

Anyway, can anyone help me stick it to the man?

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
USE A PUBLIC PROXY!!! It will bypass your firewall.. If you want detailed instructions email me... im good at this. I've gotten pass school firewalls/locks, business ones and much, much more.. just remember you can ALWAYS get pass a block...no matter what.

Jung

???
Premium
USE A PUBLIC PROXY!!!
Um, this doesn't sound like a firewall issue so a proxy wouldn't do a damn thing. Maybe you missed this line in his post: "Then I get a Windows Security Alert telling me that for my computer's protection some files did not run or whatever."

Bkyln, If your company has group policy set up you're not likely to get around it.

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
Proxys can be set to bypass firewalls, locks, get around stuff like zonealard and 8e3 networks... i promise

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
In all reality it prob isnt a firewall thing... its a lock...but the proxy will help with the lock.... it's better for locks than firewalls ANYway

Jung

???
Premium
You have no clue what you're talking about, do you? They're probably blocking out Java Applets from running. Like I said, it's probably group policy; a network based firewall or "lock" wouldn't give a WINDOWS SECURITY message.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
It's probably not a good idea to circumvent the FW or lock or whatever it is. When you're at work, they have the right to monitor your online activity. If you get around their security the Admin will know and you could be fired, with no recourse available to get your job back. Sucks I know.

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
tw33k said:
It's probably not a good idea to circumvent the FW or lock or whatever it is. When you're at work, they have the right to monitor your online activity. If you get around their security the Admin will know and you could be fired, with no recourse available to get your job back. Sucks I know.
I agree.... play it safe... I wouldnt try what im saying....BUT I DO KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT... I have a degree in this shit I can get you around anything if i get a little system info... but that puts me at risk b/c it's against your business' policy.... however, if you want proof i can do it i will b/c i dont want any shit from people saying i cant do it. if anyone on wtf.com knows how to do this, it's me

Jung

???
Premium
saleen201 said:
I have a degree in this shit
Your profile says you're 20, and you already have a degree?
if anyone on wtf.com knows how to do this, it's me
I'm sure you think you're a self proclaimed computer genius, but there are quite a few IT professionals, network/system administrators, programmers and network engineers on this site, so don't get ahead of yourself.

I'd have to agree with tweek on this though. I mean, is chatting on IRC worth possibly being fired over?

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yea ive got a degree... i lack a little training and a lot of on-the-job.... but ive accomplished a degree. why the hell are we talking about me anyway? when this thread isnt about me and how u dont believe me? help

Jung

???
Premium
Saleen, please read this, stop double posting and try to form complete sentences.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Luv your avatar, at first I thought was a ferrari (DUH). Off-topic know.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
Your profile says you're 20,
actually that can happen. my wife graduated full honors 2 months before turning 21.. she is a real, actual, measured genius though, she was expediated through school and sent to uni at 16.. she's a partner at a law firm now earning six figures at 26..

rare though.

BklynCannonball

Guys come on, please. No my cock is bigger than yours shpeal (sp?).

Just help me break the code.

The outside proxy didn't work. It got to wtf but then I had issues with it. I got into chat but couldn't read anything, not even the buttons.

The issue is with the admin rights. If I had admin rights, then I'd be given the option to accept the files on the windows alert. Right now I only get a "Don't show this message again" option.

It's bullshit. So basically I need admin rights to my computer. It won't be a big deal if I got it. I could always play dumb if they find out and besides, they don't check that hard.

Jung

???
Premium
I have no problem with someone giving good information, but when you don't read the thread and give completely useless information it just wastes everyone's time. Not to mention that we don't need any self proclaimed security experts spouting off arrogance in their first 3 posts on this forum.

Anyway...

A proxy is not going to work in this situation, because it's a local or domain group policy that's blocking your access. This has to do with a security policy imposed on the operating system, not the network. They have either blocked out Java Applets or restricted the security zone for IE.

Running this will give you local admin rights. Once you log into the admin account you can put your user into the administrators group and have admin rights. Be advised that you're probably logging into a domain though, and you will have to overwrite the existing password on the local admin account. If IT ever tried to log in they could find out.

That program should be self explanatory, just follow the instructions on the site to create a boot floppy, then follow the on screen instructions once you boot off the floppy. Of course, this will only work if they haven't disabled booting from floppy or CD. If they have disabled it there's still a chance to get by, post back if that's the case and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Of course this is all assuming that they haven't blocked the IRC ports at the firewall oor routers as well.

BklynCannonball

Can't run it. Company "Surf Control" blocks me from even getting on that site.

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
BklynCannonball said:

Just help me break the code.

The outside proxy didn't work. It got to wtf but then I had issues with it. I got into chat but couldn't read anything, not even the buttons.

The issue is with the admin rights. If I had admin rights, then I'd be given the option to accept the files on the windows alert. Right now I only get a "Don't show this message again" option.

It's bullshit. So basically I need admin rights to my computer. It won't be a big deal if I got it. I could always play dumb if they find out and besides, they don't check that hard.

Weeeeee me runs around computer chamber shouting "free the Bklyn!!!!!!":D

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i don't konw much about this, but i didn't see anyone suggest installing IRC software on a USB drive and then just running it from there

BklynCannonball

Jung you rock!

The biggest issue is I can't download anything or run it on my computer. Let's see if this works though. I'll keep you posted.

There are directions right?

Um....no directions.

Help please! I know it's a bin and an iso file. Don't know what to do with them.