WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help me buy a car

I need the opinions of all the idiots on the internet.

As some of you may know from my other thread, my husband went bowling for deer in his 2010 Hyundai Elantra. This didn't end well for the car or the deer.
Now we have to buy another car on a small budget.

Here are the choices so far:

2010 Kia Forte with 66,000 miles. This is low mileage, and Kia's are fairly reliable, so should last us a little while. 2 owners, clean carfax. It drove well on test drive. This is not a base model. It has leather seats and sun roof (woot!). The only down sides were some cosmetic wear. The paint is flaking off the door handles and it looks like a dog chewed on the gear stick. Not a huge deal tho. Doesn't affect the function at all. We were also not huge fans of the leather seats. They're kinda hard and slippery (that's what she said?). The dealer is asking way too much for the car, but we should be able to haggle them down.

2009 Honda Civic with 142,000 miles. One owner, clean carfax. Mileage isn't bad for a Honda. Very comfortable, smooth, quiet ride. Ran well on test drive. Clean, well maintained. Only downside is broken A/C. Not sure what the cost would be to fix it. My car has a broken A/C too and our garage quoted us $600 to replace the compressor. Not sure we have the funds to fix that, at least not right away. The price is fair though, and reflects the vehicle for what it is. We can afford it with the insurance money without haggling.

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon with only 96,000 miles. This car is a fucking gem. AWD. It is fully loaded with a huge dual sun/moon roof, automatic everything, classy wood detailing inside. It comes with nice all weather mats, a liner for the trunk and a cargo cover. It has a roof rack, like-new tires. 3 owners, clean carfax. Well maintained and immaculately clean. It's a hair over budget but I think we could haggle it down. My concerns are its age, and poor consumer reports ratings for reliability for this model year. It also doesn't have an aux port.

Which one would you pick and why?

ThisIsBananas

Save the world!
Premium
I need the opinions of all the idiots on the internet.

As some of you may know from my other thread, my husband went bowling for deer in his 2010 Hyundai Elantra. This didn't end well for the car or the deer.
Now we have to buy another car on a small budget.

Here are the choices so far:

2010 Kia Forte with 66,000 miles. This is low mileage, and Kia's are fairly reliable, so should last us a little while. 2 owners, clean carfax. It drove well on test drive. This is not a base model. It has leather seats and sun roof (woot!). The only down sides were some cosmetic wear. The paint is flaking off the door handles and it looks like a dog chewed on the gear stick. Not a huge deal tho. Doesn't affect the function at all. We were also not huge fans of the leather seats. They're kinda hard and slippery (that's what she said?). The dealer is asking way too much for the car, but we should be able to haggle them down.

2009 Honda Civic with 142,000 miles. One owner, clean carfax. Mileage isn't bad for a Honda. Very comfortable, smooth, quiet ride. Ran well on test drive. Clean, well maintained. Only downside is broken A/C. Not sure what the cost would be to fix it. My car has a broken A/C too and our garage quoted us $600 to replace the compressor. Not sure we have the funds to fix that, at least not right away. The price is fair though, and reflects the vehicle for what it is. We can afford it with the insurance money without haggling.

2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon with only 96,000 miles. This car is a fucking gem. AWD. It is fully loaded with a huge dual sun/moon roof, automatic everything, classy wood detailing inside. It comes with nice all weather mats, a liner for the trunk and a cargo cover. It has a roof rack, like-new tires. 3 owners, clean carfax. Well maintained and immaculately clean. It's a hair over budget but I think we could haggle it down. My concerns are its age, and poor consumer reports ratings for reliability for this model year. It also doesn't have an aux port.

Which one would you pick and why?
Pick the 2005 Subaru Legacy Wagon. You like this one the best, and it seems to be lasting despite negative reviews. 2005 isn't that old for a car. I'm sure you can add an aux port somehow.

I personally would go with Kia Forte - age and mileage. If not that I'd go for the Subaru, you seem to like it a lot more in your comments about the vehicles.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
See if the dealer will let you take whichever vehicle you're interested in to your mechanic. Also obviously make sure your mechanic is okay with it.

See if you can weasel your way into the dealer's service bay with a box of donuts and ask the mechanics if they know anything about the car you're looking at.

Basically, do not trust the salesman. About anything.

Since I'm spending your money, I say go for the Subaru.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
If I had to choose from just these three options, I would pick the Subaru, because I will never buy a vehicle that does not have All Wheel Drive.

By "aux port" do you mean a 12 Volt DC outlet? Do you mean one that always has power and not just when the engine is running? If so, it would not be hard to run a couple wires from the battery or fuse box or something else if you do not care about looks.

I find my sun/moon roof to be pretty much useless. In the summer I keep the shade over (actually under) it because the direct sun light is just too hot. In the winter the roof is usually covered with snow. About the only time I have opened my sun/moon roof was when I was eating cold cereal directly from the box. I could not tilt the cereal box up enough to pour the cereal in my mouth when the sun/moon roof was closed.

ThisIsBananas

Save the world!
Premium
About the only time I have opened my sun/moon roof was when I was eating cold cereal directly from the box. I could not tilt the cereal box up enough to pour the cereal in my mouth when the sun/moon roof was closed.

I've always been too self conscious to eat cereal. For some reason I get afraid of people thinking I'm childish. Everybody I know avoids breakfast. It's ridiculous because I don't care about looking childish about anything else, and I love cereal.

Well, we got talked out of the Subaru by our mechanic, and couldn't talk the price down on the kia. Honda Civic it is! We put a deposit on it but are still waiting on the insurance money before we can complete the transaction. The dealer fixed the A/C and we still came in at budget. Huzzah!

OK sooo.... Its gonna be a while until we get this money. Insurance won't accept the title for the wrecked car while it's still in my maiden name. I have to wait for them to mail the title back, then go to a notary and have the name updated before they'll accept it. My insurance company is doing everything in their power to be as irritating as possible. :mad:

Oh now the state is being a pain. I can't just go to a notary and change the name on the title. They're making me give my married self power of attorney over my unmarried self to relinquish ownership of the vehicle. WTH?! This is the worst runaround I've ever been given!!