WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help pleese! (tech stuff)

OK. I'm running a 1.4 ghz anthlon (I don't know what type) with a Radeon 9200, 512 (I think) Mbs of ram (the fastest kind, I don't remember, with Win ME for an O/S. Every time I run FARCRY (on the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTING!!!) I get extreme laggishness. I mean, One frame every 15 or so seconds. This is, Of course, an exeption. When I'm looking at the GROUND or in the sky. My theory is that It's fine there because the computer doesn't have to display as much info. (for example: bushes, trees, ETC.). Is there ANY WAY that I could speed up my computeer enough to stop it? I mean, I'm running around getting shot every 5 seconds and not able to soot back because My computer's too slow when i look up, after the 15 secons of waiting to be able to see a new screen, I'M HALF DEAD. :mad:

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
I am sorry did you say WinME? Are you talking about on-line play or just running the game on your system, when you experience the lag?

RUNNING ONLINE??? WITH MY COMPUTER IN THAT GAME??!?!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! I GET KICKED OFF EVERY TIME!

so in other words, Off-line.

Redkiller

Who really gives a shit?
You could always increase your amount of ram. And you should close off all of your programs running in the background. :cool:

morelos

lexicon incognito
512mb ram is more than enough.

are you sure you have the latest drivers for the video card? also, you can try using the driver set to force antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to be DISABLED. those are a couple places to start; the application may not turn those features off even at its lowest detail setting.

do you have a webcam or something along those lines that is constantly running? you could have a resource conflict with the video card vs. something else on irq 11 that shouldn't be (USB, sound card, etc could be fighting for the processor's attention). move shit around in various pci slots and see if it helps.

at least that's a start

~ dan ~

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Have you tired the easy stuff? Clear out the start-up group, checked the web for any config tweaks?

morelos

lexicon incognito
the EASY stuff? she could just go down on me; that would sorta circumvent the problem...

ok, I tried it without anything in the backround, I deleted all the crap in the corners of my hard drive, and still no luck.

I need an Anti-virus... :(

UPDATE: I downloaded ad-aware, and I'm gonna try that...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Sounds like you have adequate hardware. The problem I have with it is the Windows ME. I use a number of different OS's frequently, from Linux to XP, win 2k and 2k3; I'm not knocking Windows. But ME has quickly been tossed. There are a myriad of yada, yada technical explanations why, if you want to hear them; PM me. Trust me all you really need to know is; “Please for the love of all that's good and wholesome, please get XP, or learn Linux." Although, the latter of the two may not be practical for you.

Another major cause of lag on Multi player games is your connection. This opens up a whole new line of troubleshooting.

1) Do you have a fast enough connection? (dial-up, ISDN, DSL 128k, DSL 256k, Cable {docsis}, bla, bla, bla)

2) What is the condition of your connection?

This is where it gets tricky for the casual computer user.
Start with the Physical layer of the OSI model.
Check connection for obvious things like damage or dirt, or a cable just not properly plugged in.
Check the cables themselves. If you can, have them tested. It is often easy and fairly reliable to just swap the cable out with an identical one. The chances of two bad cables is not likely.
If you decide that your CPE cabling (Customer Premise Equipment cabling) is in good shape. then you may want to call your service provider for your physical connection, for a test of the circuit. This step goes back to question 1, "What type of connection".

2b) This only applies if you have DSL/Cable or some other form of broadband. If you have a router or firewall between your PC(s) and your Broadband modem, disconnect the router/firewall and connect your PC directly to the modem. Sometimes (Seen it a lot with linksys) the firmware becomes corrupt and it starts dropping a lot of packets.

2c) If you have broadband cable service, Make sure you have a very short run of cable coming off the splitter going to the cable modem. Best case scenario is to have the splitter where the cable enters the house. Have your cable modem somewhere near it away from breaker panels or any high voltage stuff. Run a short coax like 3-6 ft to the modem, and then go the rest of the run using Cat 5E. That's the one with the RJ-45 connectors, that look like big phone connectors.

If none of this works, then you may consider reloading your OS. I would do that anyway with a current one.

It could very well be that your drive is just full of junk like excess and old files, adware, and spyware. Try downloading and installing Ad Aware Here . Upgrade it before you use it and then run it.

Good luck.

morelos

lexicon incognito
maxpower, it sounds like you misinterpreted her problem. she can't play the game, regardless of her internet connection.

fourples, when you run the game and it's all laggy like that, is the hard disk light constantly on or blinking? or is the hard disk light mostly off?

~ dan ~

I forgot, I don't want to go into the game again to see (IMMENSE LOADING TIMES), but i KNOW it's working right (or at least sounding right). I'm gonna get a dell XPS for my b-day (It's actually july 24, I entered it wrong), so I'm anxious. I can't wait to actually have a good computer. but first of all I would have to get all the OMG I KANT G3T WINOOZE TO W0RK CUZ IM A T4RD!!!!!!111 stuff off. The only beef with the system is that I won't be able to mod it. Oh fucking well. Oh yeah, and I know that's an expensive b-day gift, so I sent out cards to everyone who chipped in :D .

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Didn't see that post.
If it's single player, then I make you a personal guaratee that if you get XP you're problems will clear up. I've built more gaming rigs and RAID arrays than I can count. None of them are worth a crap if you have a shitty OS. ME sux. But on the other hand if you're geting a new rig, then don't bother.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
maybe looking for a quick fix. We multiplayer gamers have a monky on our back for kicking someones ass halfway around the world.

Because I've been trying to get it to work for the past 2 weeks.

Plus, It's not really "MY" birthday computer. It's gonna be a family computer with my b-day an excuse to get it so I bet My little bro will load his shit-ass sims on it.

LIGHTBULB!

I'll UNINSTALL THE SIMS! THAT MIGHT SPEED IT UP! FUCK YOU, JIMMY, I WANNA PLAY FARCRY!

YAAAAAAYYY 50TH POST I CAN PLAY FROGGER NOW!!!!!

I haddn't thought of that. It usually doesn't work to well though...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
MaxPower said:
Is that all you came for? I feel so used.
It's alright, the filler posts are being removed... Any and all additional filler posts will be removed. Should they continue, the site will consider banning or changing the arcade requirements.