WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

help with connectivity

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
i am using a mac. My father wanted to check his mail but its not a mail client that uses a website.
Is there something for mac like telnet or something so that he can connect and check his mail?

:confused:

thanks if you can help

Jung

???
Premium
Is it a POP or IMAP account? Mail.app should work for most mail services.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
well, i have no idea what you just said.

he works for a university. They use linux.
his email address is something like xxx@xxx.edu

Jung

???
Premium
OSX has a built in Mail application, that's what he needs to use. He needs to open up that mail application and set it up to connect to his account. If he doesn't know how to do that then he needs to either look on the University's web site or contact their help desk.

Although I can't really be specific about the settings he needs to use, I can offer a best guess. He could try setting up the program to use mail.domain.edu or domain.edu where domain.edu = the domain name of the school. Then set it up for authentication, and have him use his University login and password. That's the most common setup and might work, but ultimately he's probably going to have to contact the help desk to get the correct information.