WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help with graphics cards

I don't really know anything about this subject, or really computers for that matter.

I have a like "built in" or onboard thing: Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. I have windows XP, I can give more system information if needed.

The only thing I really know about it is that it's crap. Okay, so my question is can I buy a graphics card that would be compatable with this? What Kind? is this Onboard thing removed like a regular graphics card or do they like.. work together? Or would my computer with this thing even have a spot for a graphics card?

I tried the intel support, but they no longer are making these (go figure) so it's all dead. I tried google..but i just don't understand anything.

If anyone knows please help! Thanks.:)

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Are we talking about a Desktop system or a laptop?

If it's a desktop system then you can more than likely put a new graphics card in it. The onboard one will still be there, just unused. If you can identify your Mother Board, and Processor, we could probably be of more help.

It's a desktop, Pentium 4 2.8GHz 512 RAM and.. I don't really know how to identify the motherboard..or what it really is.

But, I found some papers and figured out that I can put a "PCI" graphics card in.
According to the manual I can easily uninstall the onboard driver and place than install the PCI card.

So...When I goto the store or w/e what kind of brands should i be looking for, etc? Also, I need something that's "DirectX 9 compatible. Pixel shader and Vertex shader compatible.

Thanks for any information!

Jung

???
Premium
But, I found some papers and figured out that I can put a "PCI" graphics card in.
If you're planning on gaming then don't bother, a PCI card won't be worth he money you spend on it. You need to try and get a motherboard that supports AGP or PCI-E.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Rush,

It would be nice to know what kind of motherboard you have. There's a couple of ways to figure that out.

What brand and model of computer do you have? (For example is in a Dell something or other?)

Another way to maybe find it would be to boot your computer... usually the first thing you see is a splash screen that has the brand and model of the motherboard.

If that doesn't help try this: Click START, select run and type dxdiag. On the first page under System Model or System Manufacturer what does it say?

There are a couple of other ways but these are the fastest, easiest and least likely to break anything.

The reason we need to know what motherboard you have is so we can determine what kind of video card it woud support.