WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Help with iPod shuffle?

gummi_

Tenderony
Ok, well i got an ipod shuffle for my birthday ... 1gig model ... but i cant use it.

You need at least windows 2000/XP and im currently running 98SE. (i honestly dont want any comments about how dated 98 is ... i know that already, but it works just fine for how i use my computer)

Now, i have around 750 songs on my computer, and numerous docs for school etc. If i install another windows to be able to use the ipod, will i lose all that?

My friend suggested putting what i want into another partition of the HDD but i only have C: atm. I don't know how to partition, and my HDD is only 12gb anyway so i dont really see the point.

Any help?? I've downloaded some win98 drivers for the shuffle, but i also think i dont have a 'high power usb' to charge it because when i plug it into the back of the computer it just blinks at me. I have stuff on the ipod, songs, but they dont play. :(

Diesel

Clitpickle
gummi_ said:
Now, i have around 750 songs on my computer, and numerous docs for school etc. If i install another windows to be able to use the ipod, will i lose all that?
Only if you format the partition where you have your songs, which isn't necessarily required, depending on your configuration. Of course, if your drive is simply one big partition, that does make things a bit trickier.

You friend is on the right track, but without 3rd party software, you won't be able to partition your drive without destrying your data anyway.

My personal recommendation would be to remove your current hard drive, put in a new drive, and install WinXP on the new drive.
Then, add your current hard drive back into the system as additional storage, and you'll be able to access all of your files without risking losing them. It'll take some minor housekeeping to make sense of the old directory structure on a now non-system drive, but it's nothing that 2 hours and some due dilligence won't fix pretty easily.

The reason for this is it will eliminate any OS-related issues you're having with getting the Shuffle to work. It will also make sure your configuration is supported to work with the Shuffle, rather than being some clunky workaround.
It also won't compromise your existing data, while allowing you to setup a more flexible partitioning scheme.

gummi_

Tenderony
I dont have access to another hard drive ... cant afford one by any means. Might just be able to get one from my uncle, but i seriously doubt it.

Ive been thinking about borrowing my mate's 40gb ipod and putting what i want saved onto that, and then reinstalling to a new windows. But last time we did that when i reformatted, the ipod was extremely hot afterwards, and it took a seriously long time simply to transfer my music over.

Might be easier to just sell it off ... lol

Diesel

Clitpickle
Then, my suggestion would be to get a copy of Partition Magic (as much as a cheap hard drive if you go legit), and break off a large enough partition on your existing hard drive to house the music and school docs, copy them all over to the new partition, and then format the C: and install the new OS.

Provided you don't format the new partition, your data should remain intact.

With the tools provided with the OS, changing the partition tables will result in losing all data on the drive. You'll either need another drive, or you'll need a 3rd party tool to change the partitioning structure non-destructively.

gummi_

Tenderony
Thanks for all your help, once i get around to deciding what im doing ill let you know how it goes :)

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I like the other suggestions but since they won't work I'll chime in.

If I recall XP has an upgrade option from 98. Just put the XP disk in, it'll ask you if you want to upgrade... I believe it'll leave your documents and all that alone. Just make sure you have the room first. If you can get a loander 2nd hard drive from your uncle to backup your files that wouldn't hurt.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Ugh, judging by her current setup, I'm getting this weird feeling it's a Presario. Perhaps a 5700T. Mine had a 12GB HD in it, and if I recall correctly not many consumer machines did...

In her position, she is better off running 2000, in my opinion. It runs much faster on older machines than XP. She probobly also has a minimal amount of RAM, which could be an issue.

Then again, if it's a P3 she could run XP without issues. It ran like crap on my old deceased Celly-500/320/TNT2.

gummi_

Tenderony
Firstly : i would be a male. See the lil male sign? :)

Secondly, my pc specs are in that 'shitty pc' thread, but here they are again, hold onto your chair.

p3 550mhz, windows98se, 12gig hdd, 327ram, gf4mx440.

Hope that clears it all up ... hehe

Diesel

Clitpickle
A "fresh install" is always preferable to an "upgrade", as an upgrade carries with it all of the problems and issues of the previous OS. Whenever possible, do a fresh install.
In this case, where you're having to possibly deal with partitioning issues, it's an idea situation to do a fresh install.

Jung

???
Premium
UberSkippy said:
If I recall XP has an upgrade option from 98. ]
Upgrading from 98 is an extremely bad idea. I've never seen any good come form it. It actually causes a wide array of different problems.

A temporary upgrade wouldn't hurt though. It'd probably be faster to just upgrade, copy the music, then do a full install once you've confirmed the music is on the iPod.

Anotherr thing, if you don't have enough power going to your USB ports in 98, I seriously doubt you'll have enough in 2000 or XP. You might be able to purchase a USB PCI card and have that do the trick, then again, it may not.

gummi_

Tenderony
Yeah mum said she looked it up and there's a usb thing i can buy to charge it =)

Just have to sort out the actual 'being able to use the damn thing' ... ;)

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
i hated 91 and 98 xp is the only one im actually able to live with....