WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

hi i am new

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
:p im new did i post in the right spot last night in chat people new me as axe a flash character im working on they said change your name it was the first thing i thought of did i post in the right spot ???? any ways i sit around on my computer alot just learning flash or vb or w/e i can get my hands on ive got issues though ass you will all come to learn

Jung

???
Premium
Welcome posts are supposed to in the Welcome Wagon. You might want to make a post in there.

Just out of curiosity, why even bother with such an asinine language as VB?

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I'm just trying to figure out wtf was even said in that post. Punctuate...It would be easier on all of us.

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
(edit) i use vb because it was laying around my dads office AND im a curious person. Also, sorry about not using punctuation.

i fixed it the way you said happy ???

otepsoul

Bringer of Bees
not sure said:
:p im new did i post in the right spot last night in chat people new me as axe a flash character im working on they said change your name it was the first thing i thought of did i post in the right spot ???? any ways i sit around on my computer alot just learning flash or vb or w/e i can get my hands on ive got issues though ass you will all come to learn
welcome

Jung

???
Premium
not sure said:
i use vb because it was lying around my dads office im a currios person.
If you really want to learn to program, the best languages are free. VB is asinine and antiquated, you won't find much practical use for it today unless you're using VB.NET. Even then VB is retarded.

Anyway, just a pointless rant...

But yeah, you could stand a bit of punctuation and grammar.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
not sure said:
i use vb because it was lying around my dads office im a currios person.
and sorry about the no punctuation
i can understand it, but it's hard when one sentence ends without warning and another begins without warning. even commas make a rambling sentence more coherent than nothing.

actually adding punctuation might not help that much. you need more help than that. find an enlgish book and look up transitions. heres what you should have said:

i use vb because it was laying around my dads office AND im a curious person. Also, sorry about not using punctuation.

HEIL GRAMMATIK!

not sure said:
any ways i sit around on my computer alot just learning flash or vb or w/e i can get my hands on ive got issues though ass you will all come to learn
Try Python..I messed around with that abit. Its damned impossible to find any books on it at your local bookstores, though.

BTW, put in some punctuation and fix your typos next time. Your posting burns my eyes.. :eek:

shep

Local alcoholic
Moved :thumbsup:

Next time do some reading before you post kid.

Oh yeah,welcome :mfinger:

Jung

???
Premium
Runningflame570 said:
Try Python..I messed around with that abit. Its damned impossible to find any books on it at your local bookstores, though.
I'm quite fond of Python myself, but Ruby is probably a better language to start with. It's by far the most intuitive language I've found, because it's written to read like spoken language.

O'reilly makes a few Python book though, they can be found at Books-A-Million or Barnes and Nobles, or Amazon. You really don't need them though, Python is almost as easy to learn as HTML.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
welcome.. i remember you in chat

/nick namehere... right?

Blaze

Pyromaniac Extraordinaire
wazzup, not sure. welcome to the best place 2 kill some time on the net.

btw........the waiter at the restaurant said you left this at your table..... :mfinger: :mfinger: :mfinger: :mfinger:

Have a nice day! :fro:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
junglizm said:
I'm quite fond of Python myself, but Ruby is probably a better language to start with. It's by far the most intuitive language I've found, because it's written to read like spoken language.

O'reilly makes a few Python book though, they can be found at Books-A-Million or Barnes and Nobles, or Amazon. You really don't need them though, Python is almost as easy to learn as HTML.

<accent=Brooklyn>

I got your Python riiiight here!

<</accent>

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
um i dont want to sound dumb but, if its as easy as html then i will need a book.
ive been thinking about java or c++. but dont know what to get or where since there are like 10 c++ programs for sale on amazon . link would be greatly apreceated, and i am taking a basic class this year so i might still hang on to that
sorry .

:mfinger: :mfinger: :thumbsup:

sorry i like emoticons did i spell that right :question:

Jung

???
Premium
not sure said:
um i dont want to sound dumb but, if its as easy as html then i will need a book.
If you need a book for html, then you should give on on ever being a programmer.

Seriously though, programming is something that should be free. www.w3schools.com has some really good tutorials for html and other web languages. Don't waste your money on a book.
ive been thinking about java or c++. but dont know what to get or where since there are like 10 c++ programs for sale on amazon .
I'd really advise against starting off with C++, especially if you don't already know C. C/C++ are pretty user unfriendly to beginners. Even universities usually start students off with Perl or Java.

I really wouldn't try to tackle C until you learn some basic programming theory, and understand things such as variables, strings, heaps, arrays, pointers, stacks, classes, inheritance etc, etc. You get the idea.

I recommended languages like Python or Ruby because they're strong languages, but offer a lot in the way of user friendliness and intuitiveness. Both languages are written from the ground up to be easily readable, sane and easy to develop in.

To illustrate this, take a look at this image. It illustrates the simplest program you'll probably ever write, a "Hello World."

Notice how much easier the Python version is to read, and how much less code it uses.

As for Java, it's sort of a fickle language, in that it's "sweet spot" for use is pretty limited. Java is pretty easy to learn, but once you get into graphical application with Swing beginners start to make a lot of those mistakes that kill performance. Java can be a really good language, but most people fuck it up when it comes to gui stuff.

So that said, Java is a poor choice for writing graphical applications for Windows. (which is what I assume you're interested in.)

Ruby, is probably the most intuitive language I've ever seen. It's incredibly easy to pick up and really makes programming fun. Like Python, it too was created to be easily readable and reduce development time. Ruby goes even further and uses a syntax very close to regular written/spoken language though.

Here are some examples of just how easy and sane Ruby is. Notice how it tries to emulate a spoken language as closely as it can, even down to the use of punctuation. (that might be the killer for you :p )

and i am taking a basic class this year so i might still hang on to that
High school, college?

Forget the books, check out www.python.org, www.ruby-lang.org and www.w3schools.com.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
i took a VB class in highschool.. it sucked!

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
you guys rock

um high school so rupy or python witch one should i use? and the whole book html thing was a joke im just to lazy to learn it when ever i need html for something i call my sister up and her freind up there pretty good with html
i am a "verry fast learner"* just lazey.

*or should be a fast leaner acording to all the tests yale** did on my brain
im suposed to be smart but they said something about the emotinal part of
my brain was under developed, and always will be so i cant really use any of my brain power un less i try with an iorn fist. so im not lazey just not motivated to iorn fist point.

** yes yale the university i live near it and they needed kids for some study they where doing cure depretion related sickness but i dont have depression just something close to it. under developed emotions