WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

"higher" education

tzedek

Original Member
If you ever get the chance to go to a community college, don't. It is only a waste of your time where you will find ignorant, incompetant fools. At least half the students at my school at complete morons, who shouldnt have ever been let out of high school. Beyond that, this school is run by loser who couldnt get a real job. so in closing, if you are trying to make a decision about college, suck it up and go to a real school. the end

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
4 year universities are exactly the same only you pay about $125 a credit hour each class is, on average 3 credit hours, 3 or 4 classes a semester, 2 to 3 semesters a year. Just go to community college for two years...you'll get exactly the same college experience with out the shitty tuition bill....trust me its like the third year of high school all over again.

wocket

pocket pal
So wait...are there ANY good colleges out there? Or am I doomed to 4 years of boredom for a useless degree?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
tzedek said:
If you ever get the chance to go to a community college, don't. It is only a waste of your time where you will find ignorant, incompetant fools. At least half the students at my school at complete morons, who shouldnt have ever been let out of high school. Beyond that, this school is run by loser who couldnt get a real job. so in closing, if you are trying to make a decision about college, suck it up and go to a real school. the end
Just because you are having problems in your school does not mean that all community colleges are like that. You may have just picked the wrong one to go to. Why don't you transfer to another one around you area somewhere. I mean the ones around where I live arn't bad as you say yours are. Maybe its the city you live in...think about it...... :readup:

Jung

???
Premium
tzedek said:
I agree, but only to an extent. Most comunity college programs lack the funding and educated teachers to do much good. They're a good start for a lot of people though. They also offer some form of higher education to those who, for whatever reason, can't attend a regular university. There are a lot of programs that people attend in CC that are just vocational or trade degrees. I think that alone is of some worth, if people have a use for it.
wocket said:
So wait...are there ANY good colleges out there? Or am I doomed to 4 years of boredom for a useless degree?
Do your home work when you're choosing schools to apply for. Aim high, apply at schools regardless of whether or not you think you'll get in. You're already on the internet, why not use it to do some research. I didn't get to attend the universities of my choosing, but that was of my own doing. I was forced into taking correspondence courses and attend colleges close to me, because of my enlistment in the military at the time. I graduated from a decent school though, Syracuse U fairs pretty well against other colleges of it’s size. I still feel like I got a good education though, I set my mind to succeeding and didn’t lose focus on my objectives. I missed my dreams of attending MIT, but I have plans of going back, someday, for my masters.
CuddleMuffin said:
Just because you are having problems in your school does not mean that all community colleges are like that. You may have just picked the wrong one to go to. Why don't you transfer to another one around you area somewhere. I mean the ones around where I live arn't bad as you say yours are. Maybe its the city you live in...think about it...... :readup:
I think statistics will show; most community colleges just aren't in a position to offer the caliber of education that a normal university would. This is mostly a funding issue; lower wages usually mean less qualified staff. Less funding would also mean they’re forced to offer a dated curriculum, putting CC students behind the times on certain subjects. I'd like to know where your opinion of your local CCs is coming from. Have you done any research on the topic or are you just guessing? In my opinion, CCs have a purpose, but if you want a real education you should attend a regular accredited university.

Damn. i had high hopes of going to the community college here :( .

fuck it. i don't need no edumacation

I thought that could be true of any college. Sometimes money talks more than schoolwork. Isn't the dropout rate at the state level somewhere around 70%?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
junglizm said:
I agree, but only to an extent. Most comunity college programs lack the funding and educated teachers to do much good. They're a good start for a lot of people though. They also offer some form of higher education to those who, for whatever reason, can't attend a regular university. There are a lot of programs that people attend in CC that are just vocational or trade degrees. I think that alone is of some worth, if people have a use for it.

Do your home work when you're choosing schools to apply for. Aim high, apply at schools regardless of whether or not you think you'll get in. You're already on the internet, why not use it to do some research. I didn't get to attend the universities of my choosing, but that was of my own doing. I was forced into taking correspondence courses and attend colleges close to me, because of my enlistment in the military at the time. I graduated from a decent school though, Syracuse U fairs pretty well against other colleges of it’s size. I still feel like I got a good education though, I set my mind to succeeding and didn’t lose focus on my objectives. I missed my dreams of attending MIT, but I have plans of going back, someday, for my masters.

I think statistics will show; most community colleges just aren't in a position to offer the caliber of education that a normal university would. This is mostly a funding issue; lower wages usually mean less qualified staff. Less funding would also mean they’re forced to offer a dated curriculum, putting CC students behind the times on certain subjects. I'd like to know where your opinion of your local CCs is coming from. Have you done any research on the topic or are you just guessing? In my opinion, CCs have a purpose, but if you want a real education you should attend a regular accredited university.
Why do you always got to be a smart ass...I am not saying that in mean way but you always got something smart to say when somebody has thier own opinion.

Jung

???
Premium
Sorry, but I was just going by statistics, NOT opinion. I was trying to offer some fact to your statements. I was just asking where you were getting you information from, if anywhere.

magnolia

Postaholic
The community college I go to has really good professors and really great ppl. It must just be YOUR community college.

Jung

???
Premium
Again, I'm speaking statistically, not just about my local CC's. Actually, I have no motivation to check inot my local CCs, as I'm a college graduate. When I do return to complete any further degrees, I'll be attending MIT and nothing less.:) Reguardless, CC degrees are widely viewed as a lesser degree.

magnolia

Postaholic
junglizm said:
Again, I'm speaking statistically, not just about my local CC's. Actually, I have no motivation to check inot my local CCs, as I'm a college graduate. When I do return to complete any further degrees, I'll be attending MIT and nothing less.:) Reguardless, CC degrees are widely viewed as a lesser degree.
yeah. I was talkin to they guy who started the thread. I'm begining to see ur sarcasm. I'm workin on it man. :p

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
tzedek said:

tzedek

Original Member
CuddleMuffin said:
its the only one around... did i mention i live in maine and i pay for school out of my pocket? no loans or anything... but i do have a decent scholarship to go to this school...

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
junglizm said:
I was told by a fully tenured professir in NY State Full Time professors at public universities (incl. CC) are paid almost double of what private institutions pay & they get great benefits...on the other hand, wanna laugh? In NYS to be a HS teacher you have to have a MS degree but not in college. Minimal requirement is a BA/BS!

I doubt funding is the issue because where they make up for low tuition by having enrolling like 20K of students at a time. Not to mention stipents from the state.

I think CC depends a great deal on adjuncts & these people already have FT jobs elsewhere, they're an entirely different breed. Stick to classes taught by FT professors & you might see a difference.

tzedek

Original Member
Most adjuncts are cool, becuase they dont care. its not their school anyway.

Unforgiven said:
Damn. i had high hopes of going to the community college here :( .

fuck it. i don't need no edumacation

Actually, yes you do. Especially if you want to live in America, because now you should try to develope everything that you can, so that you can get a job. Unless you want to end up a hobo.

-Nikki-

P.S. No offense to hobos. I gave one my oranges once.

pimpyobitch

Banned - What an Asshat!
I always thought of the community college, as just another high school.