Scrapbook Home town pics

steelasp

poontangwrecker
Show us what your neck of the woods is like.

Here's the view of Puerto Rico from the deck at my parents' house.

Centered

Postaholic
colonia.jpg

Neighbor's kids playing between our trailers.

Stardust

stomping through the forest like a tiny dinosaurus
I quite envy your scenery there, It's mostly flat here, because of the iceage and all, but we're like rising 5cm each ear so it's all good, soon we'll be reconnecting with sweden and all. (I'll post pictures later, when I find a slightly higher spot or such so I can get a scenery pic)

rub1out

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
Forgot about this thread. Cool idea, though. Being that I no longer live in a town I'm embarrassed by ...

Welcome to St. Ignace, Michigan!

It's a small tourist town located on the extreme northwest corner of Lake Huron ... and the extreme northeast corner of Lake Michigan. It has a population of about 2400 people. Folks coming to visit this village from the south pretty much have just one way to get there. An image I've shown here frequently: the Mackinac Bridge.

"The Mighty Mac" spans the Straits of Mackinac (pronounced mak-in-aw) and connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. It is nearly (or over) five miles in length, depending on who you listen to. And it's also one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. The bridge is also the divider of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

St. Ignace is comprised mostly of hotels, restaurants, touristy shops filled with both cheesy and expensive gifts ... and LOTS of places that sell hand-dipped ice cream and fudge.

It has a beautiful fresh water coast, and a rich commercial fishing heritage. It has a public marina for the rich folks, a boat launch for the rest of us, and a boardwalk on the Lake Huron side.

^ This last pic shows one of the other things St. Ignace is famous for. That is, being a parking lot for folks visiting Mackinac Island ... the second biggest tourist draw in the state of Michigan. It's an island where cars aren't allowed. Horses, horse-drawn carriages, bikes and your legs are the only mode of transportation there. But Mackinac Island is a-whole-nother story. Look it up, if you feel the need.

A few more quick facts about St. Ignace. The village itself and the Mackinac Bridge are part of the North Country National Scenic Trail, a hiking trail that meanders from New York state to North Dakota. St. Ignace is also the eastern ending point of United State Highway Route 2. If you're travelling west on US-2 from here, you can make it all the way to Everett, Washington.

Oh yeah, and Java Joe's makes some pretty tasty omelettes and crepes. :drool: