WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

House passes spyware bills.

bnccoder

Postaholic
stinerman writes "Today the house passed two bills aimed at stopping spyware / adware and unauthorized use of computers. H.R. 29 makes it 'unlawful for any person who is not the owner or authorized user of a protected computer to engage in deceptive acts or practices'. H.R. 744 (I-SPY Act) prohibits accessing a protected system via code copied on to the system to, among other things, disseminate personal information. Both bills sailed through the house and are expected to be passed by the Senate."
Link
Spyware is going to go.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
bnccoder said:
Any reasons to support your position on the subject?
My hopes are that they bust up the big companies doing the whole spyware thing.

But the smaller, international, ones... are another story. :thumbsdn:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
bnccoder said:
Link
Spyware is going to go.
As icka said I don't think that'll solve anything.

For starters what counts as a "protected" system. Is my home PC protected? And what counts as spyware? All a company would have to do is make their product work just slightly outside the definition and they'd be good.

SPAM is illegal in the US. I still got 15 in my inbox yesterday.

The Nigerian scams (you know, my name is Mombasa and I have four hundred gabillion dollars that I would like to deposit in your account) are illegal and yet still very prevalent.

The problem is the US Congress is trying to regulate the internet. If the US makes spyware illegal the companies just move off shore.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
You all have valid points. True, many will escape this law, and as UberSkippy says, "All a company would have to do is make their product work just slightly outside the definition and they'd be good." It shows out leaders are aware of the problem, and it will make at least some sort of impact.

Fuck 180solutions.com !

Fuck Zango.com !

Fuck :AllThoseFuckingFuckers:

Jung

???
Premium
This day and age if you get spyware it's your own damn fault. Keep using IE and keep getting infected; I don't care. :thumbsup: