WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

how british police deal with drunks

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
From the BBC..

Lollipops are being handed out in south Worcestershire over the weekend in an effort to calm down rowdy revellers.

West Mercia Police are distributing the sweets as drinkers emerge from pubs and clubs in Evesham and Worcester.

The lollipops are being handed out in the hope that have a soothing effect on any aggressive members of the public.

The unusual crime reduction technique is part of Operation Presence, which aims to crack down on alcohol-related violence in the county. Ch Insp Alan Baldwin said: "Throughout the summer we have been targeting town centres where there are incidents of alcohol-related crime and disorder. "This operation, however, has been set up alongside our normal policing as traditionally there are more incidents of alcohol-related crime and disorder over the August Bank Holiday weekend."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/4189540.stm

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
have a lollipop.... sucker.... :D

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
So the fuzz are handing out lollies. It's amuzing, but who am I to critisize if it works? We'll have to see if getting that lollipop is enough to keep some of these blokes from commiting crimes.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i lived in england most of my life, the 'people' who are being given lollipops are binge-drinking psychopaths..

i once worked with a guy who used to go out drinking with a katana/sword, which he used at least once before i changed jobs and never saw him again.. i can't imagine him sucking on a lollipop as he hacks at someone who 'looked at his bird'..

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I could imagine that... sounds like a tarentino flick...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Darklight said:
I could imagine that... sounds like a tarentino flick...
yeah, although the guy ritchie films are more like how i remember it..

diamond

The nice guy
void said:
i lived in england most of my life, the 'people' who are being given lollipops are binge-drinking psychopaths..
Nothing personal, but that is a hell of an accusation.

I was offered one of the lollipops by a rather gorgeous young PC. I had nothing to drink and, in fact, was the designated driver.

Please think again before making such sweeping generalisations based on your experience of one person.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
diamond said:
Nothing personal, but that is a hell of an accusation.

I was offered one of the lollipops by a rather gorgeous young PC. I had nothing to drink and, in fact, was the designated driver.

Please think again before making such sweeping generalisations based on your experience of one person.
no disrespect and i'm certainly not fishing for a fight, but i have more experience of the uk yob culture than that one example.. i lived in the uk from 1967 to 2001.. i frequented bars from 1981 to 2001.. i'm english.. erm, i lived in the two biggest cities there..
i saw a lot of people, my schoolfriends included, degenerate into mindless hooligans fueled by alcohol, now i appreciate not everyone is like that and that you certainly aren't, but the fact is, that in my opinion the cops will be giving lollipops to vodka crazed lads who will throw them at each other.
i like your sig btw, and agree..

diamond

The nice guy
void said:
no disrespect and i'm certainly not fishing for a fight, but i have more experience of the uk yob culture than that one example.. i lived in the uk from 1967 to 2001.. i frequented bars from 1981 to 2001.. i'm english.. erm, i lived in the two biggest cities there..
i saw a lot of people, my schoolfriends included, degenerate into mindless hooligans fueled by alcohol, now i appreciate not everyone is like that and that you certainly aren't, but the fact is, that in my opinion the cops will be giving lollipops to vodka crazed lads who will throw them at each other.
i like your sig btw, and agree..
There are always going to be people who become aggressive on alcohol, regardless of country. Britain is very much a pub culture. In many places that is the only place to go out to. Pubs themselves have changed in the way they are presented. They are no longer the male bastion and actively encourage women and indeed families. There is money in that. You will remember when this revolution started in the eighties.

Often someone who is drunk has a very small attention span, and something that conflicts with expectations can produce a result. A policeman who is expected to arrest and harrass as they see it handing out a lollipop may result in a lot of leg pulling, but general good humour. That is what I saw on the whole. The (I stress again, gorgeous) PC that I spoke to said that in general it was having a positive effect.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
diamond said:
There are always going to be people who become aggressive on alcohol, regardless of country. Britain is very much a pub culture. In many places that is the only place to go out to. Pubs themselves have changed in the way they are presented. They are no longer the male bastion and actively encourage women and indeed families. There is money in that. You will remember when this revolution started in the eighties.

Often someone who is drunk has a very small attention span, and something that conflicts with expectations can produce a result. A policeman who is expected to arrest and harrass as they see it handing out a lollipop may result in a lot of leg pulling, but general good humour. That is what I saw on the whole. The (I stress again, gorgeous) PC that I spoke to said that in general it was having a positive effect.
i hope i stand corrected.. i just imagined it being bedlam.. and i guess it depends on where they do it, can't imagine many lollipops being given out down broadwater farm estates..

diamond

The nice guy
void said:
i hope i stand corrected.. i just imagined it being bedlam.. and i guess it depends on where they do it, can't imagine many lollipops being given out down broadwater farm estates..
They better be made of more than the usual candy if they are! lol

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
I wanna have a lollipop too! it's a wonderful thing to suck on,to play with it in your mouth and it tastes deliciously :) *yumyum*

diamond

The nice guy
Stardust said:
I wanna have a lollipop too! it's a wonderful thing to suck on,to play with it in your mouth and it tastes deliciously :) *yumyum*
A spam flavoured one?

Are these lollipops going to be the kind that have THC and/or Xanex in them? That would certainly calm'em down.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Stardust said:
sorry, british only :p

Hermosa

Never Mind
void said:
From the BBC..

Lollipops are being handed out in south Worcestershire over the weekend in an effort to calm down rowdy revellers.

West Mercia Police are distributing the sweets as drinkers emerge from pubs and clubs in Evesham and Worcester.

The lollipops are being handed out in the hope that have a soothing effect on any aggressive members of the public.

The unusual crime reduction technique is part of Operation Presence, which aims to crack down on alcohol-related violence in the county. Ch Insp Alan Baldwin said: "Throughout the summer we have been targeting town centres where there are incidents of alcohol-related crime and disorder. "This operation, however, has been set up alongside our normal policing as traditionally there are more incidents of alcohol-related crime and disorder over the August Bank Holiday weekend."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/4189540.stm

I suggest putting trogh's full of curry and kebabs outside all the pubs the drunken yobboes will be drawn to it like pigs at feeding time.

What ever next???????

This only validates my point about the U.K. legal system void.
You just set it in concrete, hehe!!