WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

How much heat can an Athlon 64 take? LET'S FIND OUT.

Jung

???
Premium
I found this on another forum and thought it was pretty interesting. I figured a few people here would as well...

Epicenter came out of the closet to say:

I spent a bit of time having obnoxious processor cooling cliches thrown at me on the [T]ardOCP forums today. I was told, anything past 65C is dangerous! Anything past 65C will destroy your CPU! It's suicide! It'll create a time-space vacuum that will tear the ship apart!

So I decided to find out just what was true and what wasn't.
http://epicgaming.us/transcheddar/offtopic_heat.html

Enjoy. While it may not be best for everyone to decide to run their CPUs at these temperatures all the time, I hope this clears up some of the old myths about CPU cooling!

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
This reminds me of this guy I knew in highschool.
Technerd.
He would buy a top of the line computer every year, overclock the thing, and then put it in this computer refrigerating unit.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That article is fudged - I know why 100%.

I've been running Kega for years...Since 2002. It doesn't even heat up my shitty-ass P2-366 IBM Thinkpad. You know that thing is under load because the WASD keys will be VERY hot to touch.

Why?

#1: It's a Genesis emulator. That system is nothing more than a "Super-80's Macintosh" with better video and sound.

#2: Kega has been known since it's inception as one of the most effecient emulators around - The author has also written KGen and KGen98 which were also VERY effecient back in the late 90's when they were released.

I've also run Mac System 7.5.3 on an IBM Aptiva P-166 box with a SiS 6326 graphics chip under Windows 98 - 100% solid emulating a Motorola 68040, WHICH IS A 32-BIT CHIP! The Sega Genesis uses the older 68000 16-Bit chip of the 680x0 family.

Either he's hacking Speedfan - or his motherboard is bad. And I also run a Chaintech, and I have no issues, they are wonderful boards. But the one review I found on mine (7NIL1) was talking about a SEVERELY faulty thermal monitoring chip - something to ponder.

Jung

???
Premium
He was running Prime95 as well, and he wasn't just running that emu; he was running several things at once. This guy is a pretty respected member of the forum that this came from, I'm sure he didn't rig it just to look cool on the interweb. :rolleyes:

Granted it's not the most scientific test in the world, but he says that point blank...

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Descent said:
That article is fudged - I know why 100%.

He had his cooler turned off... How hard is it to realize that his system would heat up? As Jung has stated, and by the screen shots he took, you can see other programs running in the background.

ArrowHate

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
I found this on another forum and thought it was pretty interesting. I figured a few people here would as well...

I wanted to see an explosion :(

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
He was running Prime95 as well, and he wasn't just running that emu; he was running several things at once. This guy is a pretty respected member of the forum that this came from, I'm sure he didn't rig it just to look cool on the interweb. :rolleyes:

Granted it's not the most scientific test in the world, but he says that point blank...
BWM said:
He had his cooler turned off... How hard is it to realize that his system would heat up? As Jung has stated, and by the screen shots he took, you can see other programs running in the background.
I thought he said he closed it. And I also didn;t see the systray icon for Prime95. But I still have my doubts about a Genesis emu running it that hot.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
I thought he said he closed it. And I also didn;t see the systray icon for Prime95. But I still have my doubts about a Genesis emu running it that hot.
He turned his water cooling off completely for the tests. I can link you to the original thread if you just must see it. It's full of very knowledgeable, adult, IT workers who know what they're talking about. They're all saying "good job man" or similar. Forgive me if I trust my own judgment and theirs over yours. This is very possible.
let's get on to actual testing and find out how one of these suckers reacts when I cut off its precious supply of coolant, hm?
I gave the CPU a break too and turned the water pump back on for a bit

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
overclocking is for vandals who like to destroy their own property and claim that it was a "calculated risk"

when you push the envelope too far it's going to fall off the table

Jung

???
Premium
dookie said:
overclocking is for vandals who like to destroy their own property and claim that it was a "calculated risk"

when you push the envelope too far it's going to fall off the table
Overclocking can be very stable if you know what you're doing. Only idiots mess up their parts overclocking. I've had this Athlon 2600+ running at over 3200+ speeds for well over two years. It's perfectly stable, runs cool and hasn't 'destroyed' itself or become a 'calculated risk.' There are plenty or idiots who overclock that have no clue what they're doing, but overclocking in itself isn't bad.

I really don't know why you brought up overclocking in this thread though?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
My Athlon 64 idles at 111° F and It runs fine. Never has a game crashed, and never has XP gone fuct to where I absolutely have to reboot. My uptimes aren't very long though, considering it sounds like a jet is landing/taking off in my bedroom when it's on. :p

Jung

???
Premium
BrIONwoshMunky said:
My Athlon 64 idles at 111° F and It runs fine.
That's only about 44° C too, so that's not bad at all.