How to get rid of suffering without killing yourself.

oppressedlizard

Hoodrat
I'm thinking of viable options to end suffering.
Give opinions on the following:

1) Move somewhere in nature, where there's no winters (so somewhere near the equator), live naked, hunt, drink water from the source, burn your ID's and kill any cop that tries to enter your area.

2) Form a new country: buy an island or large plot of land, issue passports, probably a minarchist society or anarchist. Try to build an Utopia

3) Declare war on the state. Become a terrorist. Probably die in some raid to your house.

4) Go somewhere in Asia, like Tibet, try find a master that will teach you how to achieve Nirvana. Or similarly, find a martial arts teacher and devote yourself to physical health and control of mind and body.

5) Find a way to make money while you travel, and never stop traveling until you die. No one will know you really, live the anonymous life and get laid with foreigners in distant lands.

Feel free to add other options

• 1LOL
  • 1OH YEAAHH!
Reactions: 1 users

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
You could just decide to be who self truly is and come to terms with the realization that suffering is the fuel that propells us to greatness. But ya know.... Whatevs... Do you.

I DO like the return to nature idea. Though, I'd probably bring at least jeans and boots. Ya know, so muh balls and feet don't suffer.

• 1Helpful
Reactions: 1 user

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
I'm thinking of viable options to end suffering.
Give opinions on the following:

1) Move somewhere in nature, where there's no winters (so somewhere near the equator), live naked, hunt, drink water from the source, burn your ID's and kill any cop that tries to enter your area.

2) Form a new country: buy an island or large plot of land, issue passports, probably a minarchist society or anarchist. Try to build an Utopia

3) Declare war on the state. Become a terrorist. Probably die in some raid to your house.

4) Go somewhere in Asia, like Tibet, try find a master that will teach you how to achieve Nirvana. Or similarly, find a martial arts teacher and devote yourself to physical health and control of mind and body.

5) Find a way to make money while you travel, and never stop traveling until you die. No one will know you really, live the anonymous life and get laid with foreigners in distant lands.

Feel free to add other options
Understand this life is a fleeting glimpse of eternity and don't take it so seriously, it's just a ride.

oppressedlizard

Hoodrat
You could just decide to be who self truly is and come to terms with the realization that suffering is the fuel that propells us to greatness. But ya know.... Whatevs... Do you.

I DO like the return to nature idea. Though, I'd probably bring at least jeans and boots. Ya know, so muh balls and feet don't suffer.
I believe suffering can propell yo to greatness, if and only if given at the right dosages (read hormesis), otherwise its just crippling and pointless.
Identity is hard to find.
Understand this life is a fleeting glimpse of eternity and don't take it so seriously, it's just a ride.

Whoever created this ride needs be punched in the face.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
I believe suffering can propell yo to greatness, if and only if given at the right dosages (read hormesis), otherwise its just crippling and pointless.
Identity is hard to find.

Whoever created this ride needs be punched in the face.
I'll check it out.

However, searching for identity is often confused with how your identity works within society. And sometimes society (the entity) is not worth belonging to.

I also don't look at suffering as something that can cripple. It's only our reaction to suffering that cripples. Read the Dhammapada translation by Gil Fronsdal.

oppressedlizard

Hoodrat
Gil Fronsdal.

I'm a bit behind my reading, can't really promise I'll read that book, though if you can provide the meaning you got from it in a nutshell it'll be food for thought.

About identity, it's true, we tend to derive identity from culture. Coming from someone who a) is an anarchist b) travelled the world and lived abroad for many years, its safe to say I don't find refuge in any culture. And the problem with dis-identifying yourself from society is.. well, you're alone mate. No teams, just you... and people don't like it when you're independent culturally speaking. Not only that, they think you're easy prey, cause its just you. So needless to say sometimes I also use masks of every colour, in order to avoid being attacked and judged.

By the way hormesis is the process by which doses of poison/stressors beneath a blatant harmful dosage, constantly through time, will actually cause a positive effect on the organism.

A cool example of this is this guy who started injecting microdoses of snake venom. Over time he noticed he could up the dosage without ill effects. Now he can inject doses that would be lethal to anyone un-prepared. He actually gets a kick from them (a high).

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
The book is more like a work of "Buddhist Proverbs". It's really just a way to expand your thinking and wrap your mind around ways to make your journey better.