WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

How to make your bits dance

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
(w/o sound) it looks like shit bob square pants and his clones are exercising :thumbsup:

ha ha aha ahahahaha, yeah.

Are you dissing teh spongebob? OH NO YOU DON'T, GIRLFRIEND! NUH UH!

Yeah, that was pretty amusing. I don't see how this will help, though...turning them "perpendicular" will take up just as much room...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Awaken said:
Are you dissing teh spongebob? OH NO YOU DON'T, GIRLFRIEND! NUH UH!

Yeah, that was pretty amusing. I don't see how this will help, though...turning them "perpendicular" will take up just as much room...
Did you not see the part about it taking 1/10 the space? Per platter in a hard drive, setting the bits upright gains roughly 10 times the physical space. Which means 10 times the capacity. The platters might end up a little thicker but that's no biggie. There's lots of room inside a drive for a thicker platter.

I'm just curious what this will mean for data speed. Are they going to need a bigger cache to support the increased size?

Jung

???
Premium
Awaken said:
No it won't, you should learn to pay attention...

OK, I DID pay attention. I don't see how that would help. Then it's increasing in thickness but not as wide. Same thing. *shrugs*

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Awaken said:
OK, I DID pay attention. I don't see how that would help. Then it's increasing in thickness but not as wide. Same thing. *shrugs*
No, you're thinking in 3d space here. The thickness doesn't matter.

Think of it like this. If you were to lay pennies heads up end to end you could lay 24 in a foot. (I'm guessing at the size of a penny here so bear with me if I'm wrong.) But if you take those pennies and set them up on their sides you can cram a whole bunch more in that same foot right?

So if you lay the bits on a platter end to end they take up way more space than if you set them perpendicular. The platter size stays the same, this way they can just pack a whole butt ton more bits onto each platter.

junglizm said:
No it's not, you just don't understand how data is stored on the drive...

Learn something. http://www.usbyte.com/common/HDD.htm
Correct. :thumbsup:

But from watching the video, it shows that they are basically going perpendicular. Which takes up the same amount of room. It's not like they got smaller or anything.

Jung

???
Premium
Awaken said:
Correct. :thumbsup:

But from watching the video, it shows that they are basically going perpendicular. Which takes up the same amount of room. It's not like they got smaller or anything.
You're still not 'getting this.

Say data is stored in blocks that look lik this: ____ (this is one byte) but you can store data like this ||||| (keep in mind that each of those marks is equal to the size of the byte in first example) Can't you see how more data can be stored in the same amount of space?

junglizm said:
You're still not 'getting this.

Say data is stored in blocks that look lik this: ____ but you can store data like this ||||| can't you see how more data can be stored in the same amount of space?
Yeah, I can. If up and down weren't an issue.

_______
_______ ||||| would work if that's the original distance. then it would make sense, to me at least.

Jung

???
Premium
This is obviously going nowhere... Just read the link I posted and maybe you'll understand.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
No up and down DO matter. You can't stack the data. One bit per spot on the drive. All they're doing is making the footprint of the bit smaller by making the bit taller.

Think like this: a bit is equal to a 2x4x1 (width x length x height) box on a hard drive. So on the platter itself that bit takes up 2 x 4 spaces. What they're doing it turnning the bits so that they are 2 x 1 x 4 (again, width x length x height) so now that same bit takes only 2 x 1 spaces. That leaves them more spaces on the same sized platter to put the bits in.

Granted my example only gives them twice the room but it's the same basic idea.

jamesp

In Memory...
Awaken said:
Yeah, I can. If up and down weren't an issue.

_______
_______ ||||| would work if that's the original distance. then it would make sense, to me at least.
dear god: (not accurate, just an example)

___ = one bit in 1 millimeter
|||| = four bits in 1 millimeter

get it? MORE BITS IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE!

jamesp said:
dear god: (not accurate, just an example)

___ = one bit in 1 millimeter
|||| = four bits in 1 millimeter

get it? MORE BITS IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE!
OK, smart guy, the:
_________
_________

is supposed to be the space that the bits have from the bottom of the plate to the next plate, or w/e.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
The next plate up doesn't matter. You gotta understand we're talking about sizes on the order of microns. You could make the bits be 1,000X taller than they are now and still come nowhere near the next platter.

Oooohhhh good real world example. Dominos and a shoe box. Here are the rules. You have to see how many dominos you can put in a shoe box BUT you may only have ONE layer of them. You can put them in laying down, on their sides or standing up, BUT you only get ONE layer, no stacking.

The most space efficient way is to have them standing up yes? Well that's what's happening. The bits on a hard drive were like dominos laying on their backs. Now they're standing on their ends making a whole bunch more room.

Please tell me you understand now. I'm out of examples. :confused:

UberSkippy said:
The next plate up doesn't matter. You gotta understand we're talking about sizes on the order of microns. You could make the bits be 1,000X taller than they are now and still come nowhere near the next platter.

Oooohhhh good real world example. Dominos and a shoe box. Here are the rules. You have to see how many dominos you can put in a shoe box BUT you may only have ONE layer of them. You can put them in laying down, on their sides or standing up, BUT you only get ONE layer, no stacking.

The most space efficient way is to have them standing up yes? Well that's what's happening. The bits on a hard drive were like dominos laying on their backs. Now they're standing on their ends making a whole bunch more room.

Please tell me you understand now. I'm out of examples. :confused:
Lol, I get it if that's all it is. But...is it only possible to have one plate on an HD?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Yeah, you can have a single platter. Most drives have 4 or 5, some might have as many as 8 or more. (The most I've seen is 8)

UberSkippy said:
Yeah, you can have a single platter. Most drives have 4 or 5, some might have as many as 8 or more. (The most I've seen is 8)
Ah, fuck...Then it doesn't make sense again...Wouldn't the bit reach up or have to be too thick? Thus making a larger HD?