WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Hurricanes bankrupt the USA?

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I'm playing devil's advocate here, though it's not a huge stretch.

Imagine a stream of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes that devastate the US coasts, and imagine it actually starts getting worse year by year. Imagine the country going bankrupt because of it. It's not like the USA is not the most in debt country in the history of mankind, that's a given. Still, right now they are talking about 200 billion just for New Orleans. Nobody is even talking about all the dozens of small towns that got wiped out by Katrina. It's like nobody even cares on the news, I saw a blurb that says many cities in Mississippi, for example, look like Katrina hit a few hours ago still. In any case, imagine Rita doing even more damage, then Hurricane Victor, then hurricane Abagail, etc.

Could mother nature take the USA out financially?

I will bet money if this trend starts to go as I outlined above, the USA will try to change the temperature of the ocean, or at least the gulf. Wouldn't surprise me if they started draggin huge icebergs from the north down to the coast to "cool it off" for example. Maybe even something more stupid. People have proven their stubborness, they wont run. At least not until the whole country is bankrupt I guess? Gas is supposed to go up so much you wont believe it, not to mention everything else because of it. My wages aren't going up because of it, are yours?

I'm scared for the future. Those in power will have all they need, will they even care? Will they take their money and pack of for other countries abandoning America to become a true 3rd world country?

One again Devil's Advocate here... but how much? What do you think?

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Hmm.. Thats some interesting mindplay. Even still, I dont see USA going bankrubt anytime soon. Other countries will blindly continue loaning money to the "financial superpower" (which seems ever so ironical).
I see this leading top more exploiting the poor countries, and also the poor folk of the US. It´s not like there has ever been equality anyways. This might cause riots etc., but they are quickly silenced, look at Guatemala, El Salvador or Haiti for examples.
USA will have to make money on someone elses behalf. This doesn´t look good for Iraq or Afghanistan, USA can just bail out saying "we have problems at home, see ya" and so the rebuilding of Iraq lands on the UN and other countries, aminly the european kinds. This will raise even more criticism on the USA, and if luck would have it USA will be set for partial trade embargo.

People are already so anti-USA (government and it´s actions), even at the US of A. I dont see the US even having a possibility to cool down the ocean.. Well instead of decreasing pollution, joining Kyoto and so forth. But that ain´t going to happen.

Have you thought about the part on your constitution that shouts out that:(not exact quote but thats the idea) "people have a right to property, and the property has a right to people". This is strictly seen as protectioning the rich (to whom the word "minority" in your constitution is meant). It practically says every man for themselves.
You should get proper tax-system, health care etc, stop rushing into these insane wars, be diplomatic and whatnot before you can start solving these things that truly arise from the depth of your society.

Equality and justice for some.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
im pretty sure america is bankrupt as is... were already workin on borrowed money...

what is going to happen is companies will be granted future business to do work to fix things and always be promised money. we will still always come to the aid of others when there really isn't a need so that they can owe us. the us is going to always be in debt and we will still survive. they do need to find a way to cool the gulf down. i wodner if they could just dump liquid nitrogen in it without poisoning the water and sea life?? probably not. oh well. tugboats and ice bergs sounds good at first but when they melt. water is just going to keep rising..

Mother Nature has been looking for a way to regain her balance in the aftermath of human of evolution for years. Looks like she finally found a way.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
This is not about mother nature finally fighting for herself. It´s merely humankind slowly destroying itself. Buggaroo, whole planet goes down with them. Shit happens.
I dont see the reasoning in this "Mother Nature part deux: Mrs Nature strikes bak" thingy. I eman.. humans are a part of nature right?
Of course constant exploitation of the earth is bound to have some results.
When your chin-deep in your own feces, stop shitting. but no.
Rationalize Kyoto goddamnit

the whole increase of big hurricanes is completely natural...happens once every 30-50 years or so...

RetArt said:
This is not about mother nature finally fighting for herself. It´s merely humankind slowly destroying itself. Buggaroo, whole planet goes down with them. Shit happens.
I dont see the reasoning in this "Mother Nature part deux: Mrs Nature strikes bak" thingy. I eman.. humans are a part of nature right?
Of course constant exploitation of the earth is bound to have some results.
When your chin-deep in your own feces, stop shitting. but no.
Rationalize Kyoto goddamnit
Sorry, there was more to my train of thought than what I put down (I do that every once in a while, forgive me). I was thinking about how the tidal wave came first followed by Katrina and soon Rita. Not to mention the earthquakes that were pretty far up on the richter (sp?) scale that hit Turkey and other places some years back.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how natural disasters are "humankind slowly destroying itself." When a natural disaster takes lives its the natural disaster doing it not humanity. Also, yes, we're technically part of nature, but humans have separated themselves so far that we've exceeded nature's ability to balance itself out, so now it's trying to catch up the only way it can.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Well.. Actually many professionals claim that climate change, which causes hurricanes, is happening faster than normal because of pollution. Also there is the hole in the ozone layer the size of europe, which is the main cause of kyoto.
Of course natural disasters have always happened, in fact, I cant even see why they are called disasters. They are as normal as rain or sunshine. I do not know for sure if human behaviour has affected the environment so greatly, that it is the cause of these, what you call disasters.

In a cleverer point of view, there really are no problems, no disasters, they are all just human imagination (as are many things) Earth doesn´t cry that we shat on it. it just is. And we are destroying it. Many a wonderful species have died due to our actions. And as if that is not enough many of us have figured out a nice new hobby, waging war and destroying their own kind..

Anything to point out humans are the king of the castle, the jewel of the universe.

Point it out to whom?

dirtlover

The best and the worst
to ourselves. like some individuals need to point out to themselves that they are better than themselves. if you know what i mean.

RetArt said:
Well.. Actually many professionals claim that climate change, which causes hurricanes, is happening faster than normal because of pollution. Also there is the hole in the ozone layer the size of europe, which is the main cause of kyoto.
Of course natural disasters have always happened, in fact, I cant even see why they are called disasters. They are as normal as rain or sunshine. I do not know for sure if human behaviour has affected the environment so greatly, that it is the cause of these, what you call disasters.

In a cleverer point of view, there really are no problems, no disasters, they are all just human imagination (as are many things) Earth doesn´t cry that we shat on it. it just is. And we are destroying it. Many a wonderful species have died due to our actions. And as if that is not enough many of us have figured out a nice new hobby, waging war and destroying their own kind..

Anything to point out humans are the king of the castle, the jewel of the universe.

Point it out to whom?
And others would argue that it is egocentric of us to believe that we really have any effect on the Earth. That if it is going to be destroyed due to the ozone depletion, etc it won't have anything to do with humans. I don't know which side I really agree with, but both sides have a point. *shrugs* Who knows? Maybe the sun will just explode tomorrow and we won't have to worry about it. :cool:

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
I know people are egoistic, ignorant and stupid. So am I. But still what´s the point in forever trying to prove that humankind is best. Nobody else gives afuck. Do humans just have such a low self-esteem they need to make a huge fuzz bout themselves to SEEM relevant.

But still. I figure it´s better I aim my anger at some spesific humans and governments. In a ranting, havent_ever_done_nthn_to change_things -way. I vote.
yippee.

btw. greetings to a fellow finn. It´s freakin cold.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
They're already spending huge amounts (500bill$ deficit) of money mostly on the army and most of it is in iraq.. Rebuilding cities after hurricanes will cost them a huge extra amount and they're already in a deficit, so it's pretty much in their faces. Liberalisation of politics and a political turn towards the inside (pull off from militarisation and hememony of the outside) would be the only way to reach a zero deficit while administrating the interior better. That's why it's crucial that democrats win the '08 elections.

The US will have to turn towards hybrid car technology like Japan is about to do and develop alternative energy technology.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JLXC said:

Imagine a stream of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes that devastate the US coasts, and imagine it actually starts getting worse year by year. Imagine the country going bankrupt because of it. It's not like the USA is not the most in debt country in the history of mankind, that's a given. Still, right now they are talking about 200 billion just for New Orleans. Nobody is even talking about all the dozens of small towns that got wiped out by Katrina. It's like nobody even cares on the news, I saw a blurb that says many cities in Mississippi, for example, look like Katrina hit a few hours ago still. In any case, imagine Rita doing even more damage, then Hurricane Victor, then hurricane Abagail, etc.

Could mother nature take the USA out financially?

I will bet money if this trend starts to go as I outlined above, the USA will try to change the temperature of the ocean, or at least the gulf. Wouldn't surprise me if they started draggin huge icebergs from the north down to the coast to "cool it off" for example. Maybe even something more stupid. People have proven their stubborness, they wont run. At least not until the whole country is bankrupt I guess? Gas is supposed to go up so much you wont believe it, not to mention everything else because of it. My wages aren't going up because of it, are yours?

I'm scared for the future. Those in power will have all they need, will they even care? Will they take their money and pack of for other countries abandoning America to become a true 3rd world country?

One again Devil's Advocate here... but how much? What do you think?

Ain't gonna happen...50 years ago we were also hit hard by hurricanes numerous times...

zOMG DOOMSDAY LOL

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Bush said something like 20 billion (could be 200 billion?) to clean up after hurricane katrina... and then that he wasn't going to raise taxes. :happysad:

diamond

The nice guy
JLXC said:

Gas is supposed to go up so much you wont believe it,
Bet I could...I'm English!

In fairness most countries work in a similar way to banks.....their actual wealth and their perceived wealth are vastly different. It is only when people start to get a little scared and want to physically see their money that the problems occur (see germany post word war 1).

Personally I find the coverage of Katrina and Rita fascinating.....the world super power who can put a man on the moon, can do nothing except run or hide from a hurricane. Also the reports of people helping total strangers with fuel,food and shelter. In it's own way human nature is just as impressive as mother nature.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Depression ? No
Recession ? Maybe

This double hit is the last thing we need on top of the war and George Bush (who is clearly working for al-Qaida in an effort to destroy the US from the inside)

voiceofreason said:
Depression ? No
Recession ? Maybe

This double hit is the last thing we need on top of the war and George Bush (who is clearly working for al-Qaida in an effort to destroy the US from the inside)
Yay, a fellow conspiracy theorist.