WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Hybrid cars anyone?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Buying an hybrid car is a pretty good way to say FUCK YOU to the oligarchic oil industry. Honda delivered its 100,000th hybrid car in the US yesterday. Oil companies raise their prices? Boofuckinghoo, bring the Hybrid cars. Hopefully prices will drop, and the democrats will give REAL incentives to buy them if/when they're elected in '08.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/news.php?news_id=422
http://www.hybridcars.com
Hybrid civic specs
20,000$ ? If you can afford it, and are looking for a new car, why the fuck not?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
we have a prius.. in california there are companies that mod them for electric power only for the first 40 miles per day.. plenty for most people.. we might do the mod if gas goes over $5..

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
To get a hybrid you are pretty much limited to getting a new car. But if I can find a hybrid hatchback within my price range I'll get it. I really wish Nissan made a hybrid.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
ReiMeishin said:
To get a hybrid you are pretty much limited to getting a new car. But if I can find a hybrid hatchback within my price range I'll get it. I really wish Nissan made a hybrid.
they're making an altima hybrid here in TN next year, it's an altima though..

wouldn't you prefer this?

Toyota Volta
From the “tragically cool” department, check out Toyota Volta. The Volta uses a carbon-fiber body and seats three. In the case of Volta, the three people sit side-by-side—and get this—the “drive-by-wire” controls allow you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front any one of them.

On the Volta, a 3.3 liter V6 gas engine is located behind the rear axle and is not connected directly to the wheels. Instead, movement is provided by two electric engines, one per axle, offering the safety benefits of all-wheel drive. But the real gain of packaging a large internal combustion engine with two electric motors is rip-roaring speed: a 408 horsepower hybrid drive that can achieve 0 – 60 acceleration in 4 seconds. Despite this level of power, the fuel economy will reportedly exceed 30 miles per gallon. At low speeds, any of those three drivers can switch manually to all-electric mode.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
dustinzgirl said:
I need one that seats 7. and is free.
do you mind waiting a little while, they're still working on that one..

jamesp

In Memory...
Not to be a hound, but I really do think that I can build that fully electric car. And it would probably be very cheap, and as big as I want. Literally the size of an SUV or a Cooper Mini.

but, what you have failed to realize is that if everybody gets a hybrid, which isn't the worst thing in the world by the way, that gas prices will soar to an amazing close to roughly $28 per gallon, so it is safe to say that some people should get hybrids while others can go suck a nut.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
The_Observer said:
but, what you have failed to realize is that if everybody gets a hybrid, which isn't the worst thing in the world by the way, that gas prices will soar to an amazing close to roughly $28 per gallon, so it is safe to say that some people should get hybrids while others can go suck a nut.
how do you figure, if everyone is using less gas won't prices drop. not that i know anything about economics, but i believe that a surplus in gasoline would mean the prices would drop or that less demand would cause them to drop.

what we need is for people to do more than get hybrid cars. we need people to get hybrid cars, start using public transportation and even maybe even get a woodburning stove. i believe it was in the mid 1970's that their was an oil crisis where people were encouraged to get wood burning stoves. what needs to happen is that people need to actually start using public transportation and realize that in order to save money we need to as a whole give up some luxuries. not to mention that hybrid cars and woodburning stoves are more environmentally friendly than their alternatives

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Toyota has an SUV hybrid out, the Highlander. Haven't heard much about it though. Does anyone know if it's a good vehicle?

I'm not sure what impact this will have on gas prices, but I'm pretty sure that it will make muscle and classic cars and high dollar luxury item. Maybe the cost will go up to the point where Hybrids won't be worth buying, but at least we'll be saving the environment.

On another note, if you are thinking of something that will make black oil obsolete, Biodiesel is where it's at I hear. All you need is a regular diesel vehicle and it will run on this stuff. It is made from refined vegetable oils. I saw a special on Google Current where this guy is making his own to put in his diesel Merc. He uses used fry grease and filters it down and does whatever else is needed to make it diesel fuel. Pretty cool.

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I need one that resembles a mopar Muscle car...say maybe a 340 Duster or Dart...maybe even a cuda...challenger...and does 11's in the 1/4 mile. If that can be done.....sign me up.

WizardlyFriend said:
how do you figure, if everyone is using less gas won't prices drop. not that i know anything about economics, but i believe that a surplus in gasoline would mean the prices would drop or that less demand would cause them to drop.

what we need is for people to do more than get hybrid cars. we need people to get hybrid cars, start using public transportation and even maybe even get a woodburning stove. i believe it was in the mid 1970's that their was an oil crisis where people were encouraged to get wood burning stoves. what needs to happen is that people need to actually start using public transportation and realize that in order to save money we need to as a whole give up some luxuries. not to mention that hybrid cars and woodburning stoves are more environmentally friendly than their alternatives
yeah uh .. last I checked, less demand and equal supply = less costly, observer.