WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I don't want reality from a goddamn book!

So we're reading this book called "house on mango street" for english. it's the dumbest shit ever. all the critics are like "this book is so intensely descriptive and realistic" wel guess what? people don't read books about reality, much less a book about an ugly girl that lives in a shitty neighborhood, or a shitty house. it's not even descriptive in an interesting way. here's a quote:

House on Mango Street said:
My dads hair is like a broom.
yeah. that's from the book. Not kidding. It's SO BORING. The teachers say things like "this book has such nice ideals, where everything she says relates or personifies something else, it's so symbolic!" I doubt the author even meant to do that. the book sucks. period :thumbsdn:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well, you see, after the whole Harry Potter debacle, what with all the witch craft and black magic the schools had to rethink their reading lists. So now they pick books that no parents will actually complain about. But that broom comment is pushing the limits.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
American teachers seem to support the whole, "The more realistic the better" approach to reading. I'm with you though, I see real life every day, isn't that what History is for? Not English.

Give me fantasy and excitement in reading, if I want real life I'lll put the damn book down and walk outside.

I AM GOD

Banned - What an Asshat!
Estupid

HOUSE ON ASS FUCK STREET OR WHAT EVER THAT DAM BOOKS CALLED IS 110% SHITTY!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I HAD THE CHANCE TO SHOT THE FUCKER WHO WROTE THAT SUCK ASS BOOK I MOTHER FUCKEN WOULD :gun:

Easty

Click click boom
yeah, i hate books that sit there and try to stick run-around comparisons in and shit. i just read "Hard Times" by Studs Turkel for my history course. it described the great depression pretty well, since it was basically a compilation of entries from people who were there.

my favorite book so far has gotta be "to kill a mockingbird" by harper lee. makes ya think, ya know.

I AM GOD said:
HOUSE ON ASS FUCK STREET OR WHAT EVER THAT DAM BOOKS CALLED IS 110% SHITTY!!!!!!!!!!!! IF I HAD THE CHANCE TO SHOT THE FUCKER WHO WROTE THAT SUCK ASS BOOK I MOTHER FUCKEN WOULD :gun:
First of all, caps lock is only 7/16 of an inch from the A key. I know of a picture to illustrate this fact, but I'm too damn lazy to find it. Somebody find it for me please.

Second of all, it really irks me when people say 110%. I'm sure it irks most of the members here as well.

Third, I detected at least 5 spelling mistakes in that post. 6 If you count the what ever as not being one whole word.

I AM GOD

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yo Unforgiven

ok i can't spell good. sorrry for saying 110%. i just got one thing to say to you BIG FUCKEN DEAL WHO GIVES A FLYING ASS FUCK . I GOT MY MESSAGE ACROSS, THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. SO NEXT TIME YOU FEEL LIKE PLAYING PARENT. I SAY THISSIT ON TWO FINGERS AND START SPINNING! ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i am god before you decide to get all tough make sure your in the right place, this isen't B&T. secondly, its school, they are not gonna give you something that you enjoy reading, cause thats too easy, they want to make sure you have to fight to stay awake inorder to read it. your supposed to learn there, not woop it up, and if you keep having that kind of attitude junior i'm so calling your mom and telling on you;)

Yeah, I use sparknotes for books like that, I'm with you Eastside, I read To Kill A Mockingbird and it was actually really good, too good for sparknotes.