WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I found out why Windows 2000 was always running out of RAM.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Screen saver? Was it one of those little pr0n/spyware screen savers?

I have never heard of that before.

All the better reason to run Server 2003 :).

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
jstager said:
Screen saver? Was it one of those little pr0n/spyware screen savers?
Nope, not even that. It was simply the Win2000 logo teleporting around a black screen.

Kinda stupid that this tiny little thing managed to steal over 300 megabytes of memory.

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
wait...didnt you post about..running torrents making taking up all your resources?....you might have bit more serious problem than that....

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
Actually no, turned out my torrent client wasn't the problem at all. Although replacing the router did help.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
The problem was that my screen saver had the uncanny paranormal ability to pretty much wh0re all my memory, thus causing my computer to go kaput every few hours due to freezing.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That could be bad memory...are you running any generic sticks of RAM in there?

Just curious...

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
No - I run on the 128 MBs of RD-RAM the compy came with.

Well... It's Dell. And it's RD-RAM.

Let's just say those two speak for themselves. :p

Descent

Hella Constipated
Since it's using RDRAM, I'm guessing it's a Wilamette core Pentium 4. That's slow and dated. You should build a new PC. PM me and I can configure you a kick ass box for very little cash...Less than $500, $800, or $1000.

Lemme ask this...Is it a Dimension 8100? Those have motherboard problems. If it's getting unstable, and you can't figure out what it is, it may be a dying motherboard. I would advise you buy a new machine as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure it's an 8100, and all I can say about those is that they are crap in tems of reliability and power. Those motherboards had bad capacitors, there was a scare a few years back with some defective Taiwanese capacitors that literally blew up in the machine.

With Dell machines, you can't swap out the motherboards/power supplies/cases on them. Those take custom formfactors/pinouts/voltages, and they are really unreplaceable, except for the same part.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
you could jus spend about 400 on a new board...like a asus P4C800-E Deluxe and some new RAM...like a gig of Corsair XMS DDR 5500, and there ya go problem fixed except for the fact your processor is still shitty...like mine

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
jstager said:
Since it's using RDRAM, I'm guessing it's a Wilamette core Pentium 4. That's slow and dated. You should build a new PC. PM me and I can configure you a kick ass box for very little cash...Less than $500, $800, or $1000.

With Dell machines, you can't swap out the motherboards/power supplies/cases on them. Those take custom formfactors/pinouts/voltages, and they are really unreplaceable, except for the same part.
Surprize!!! My compy here is even older than this. It's a Dell Dimension XPS B 800 MHz. Pentium 3.

So you can build me a box. That's cute but which company? Some store near your place?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Shurikane said:
No - I run on the 128 MBs of RD-RAM the compy came with.

Well... It's Dell. And it's RD-RAM.

Let's just say those two speak for themselves. :p
Know wonder your memory is low, because you only have 128MBs, you really should go and get more memory, I have 512MBs. On the other hand my computer takes cheeper memory. I use SD-RAM.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Shurikane said:
Surprize!!! My compy here is even older than this. It's a Dell Dimension XPS B 800 MHz. Pentium 3.

So you can build me a box. That's cute but which company? Some store near your place?
pentium 3? wow that is dated how the fuck are you suppose to run the latest games and shit

go doom iii

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
CuddleMuffin said:
Know wonder your memory is low, because you only have 128MBs, you really should go and get more memory, I have 512MBs. On the other hand my computer takes cheeper memory. I use SD-RAM.
If I attempt to get more RAM, my computer halts and tells me I have a hardware malfunction. So until further order, my computer is married to its RAM!

YUCK FOU!!! said:
pentium 3? wow that is dated how the fuck are you suppose to run the latest games and shit

go doom iii
I don't. :) I've been living off emulators and Dreamcast game burns for about 3 years now. :D

Descent

Hella Constipated
PM me Shurikane. I will give you links to where you can buy some parts and have a firend/store/yourself assemble them. It will be better than any other computer you have ever owned.

you could jus spend about 400 on a new board...like a asus P4C800-E Deluxe and some new RAM...like a gig of Corsair XMS DDR 5500, and there ya go problem fixed except for the fact your processor is still shitty...like mine
Sorry Hypertron. Dell = Propreitary parts. It's a no-no for that upgrade. The same goes for early model Compaq Presarios.

You couild always take some of the parts out and put them into a new system...Minus the RAM and CPU, of course.

By the way, I always build my own. There is nothing better than a PC you have built yourself. They just work, period.

If you are on a budget, go AMD. AMD is cheaper and better for the money. IF you want high end, it's somewhat of a two way battle between AMD and Intel, with both CPUs exceeding the other for some things. Personally, I really like AMD, but that's just me. I have an OCed AMD Duron that runs damn good.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
CuddleMuffin said:
hahahahaaha sd-ram is expencive its like $80 for 256mb where do you get your ram? good will?