WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I have the worst luck with monitors.

Descent

Hella Constipated
The backlight just died on my LCD, while posting on WTF. I've gone through 7 monitors since 1998 now.

I hooked up a Compaq MV520 15" CRT to my machine and it's really good after fucking with gamma, brightness and contrast settings in my ATi Control Panel. Out of the box it sucks.

The panel was an AUO panel - a.k.a. Benq. The image went dark, and after I figured out the backlight died, I smacked the back of it to test and it lit up when I hit it, but after pressure was released it vanished.

Now I gotta take it back to CompUSA (4 monitor long story about that) and get a replacement. It seems like everything they sell breaks - even though this monitor had a great setup. It beat the Dells in our computer lab in everything.

It was never even moved a bit since I installed it :redface:! What a lemon.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
Haha, don't certain computer superstores offer extended warranty programs?

Jung

???
Premium
Stop buying cheap monitors. Since 98 I've gone through maybe 4 monitors, and they've all been upgrades, not replacements for crap.

i've gone through one monitor since 2000, one day it just didn't turn on. i got this 10 year old sony moniter that weighs a freakin' ton. and it still works. it's a CRT too :thumbsup:

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Haha. I think everyone could agree that this was forseen, and inevitable. :lol:

What the :gay:?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
gone through one monitor ever. owned a total of four. the crt downstairs broke and i had to replace it with a crt fromt he basement from a windows 3.1 or something. small, but it works fine (its an HP, the one that broke was a gateway)

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Stop buying cheap monitors. Since 98 I've gone through maybe 4 monitors, and they've all been upgrades, not replacements for crap.
Actually, two were used, and three were defective.

FzM said:
Haha. I think everyone could agree that this was forseen, and inevitable.

What the :gay:?
I kinda did too.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Hmmmm

And I've been using the same Hitachi View Sonic 776 for 7 years. Go figure.

Maybe Benq makes teh shit ass monitors? Don't know, I'd sure as hell never buy one.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
Which kind of proves my point...
Yeah, but you have to understand that the two used ones were from when I owned a 386/486 as my PC, and my dad didn't want to spend lots of money on a monitor.

The three defective ones were just weird. I don't know what happened there.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Hmmmm

And I've been using the same Hitachi View Sonic 776 for 7 years. Go figure.

Maybe Benq makes teh shit ass monitors? Don't know, I'd sure as hell never buy one.
Actually, Benq were the first to come out with 16ms, 12ms, 10ms, and 8ms response time panels. Go figure.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Actually, Benq were the first to come out with 16ms, 12ms, 10ms, and 8ms response time panels. Go figure.
I thought it was Samsung?

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
I thought it was Samsung?
Nope...It was Benq, Benq, Benq, and Benq.

Keep in mind that AU Optronics (AUO) is a merged company comprising of Acer Display Technology and Unipac Optoelectronics Corporation - and that Acer changed their peripheral brand name to BenQ a few years back.

Jung

???
Premium
Thanks for providing something other than Tom's Hardware. ;) Thanks for the links, I'll check out the last two in a bit. CNET is kind of iffy to me too though.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Just because they were first doesn't make them quality equipment.

Ford was the first company to mass produce a car and they've managed to make some real shitstains in the past.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Just because they were first doesn't make them quality equipment.

Ford was the first company to mass produce a car and they've managed to make some real shitstains in the past.
Yep...But I still cannot personlly vouch for a whole company one one panel in a third-party monitor.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I've been using the same 16 color IBM CGA since 1987. Fucker's still going storng.
Gonna ride this bitch till the wheels fall off, then get me one of those new EGA models. :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
MaxPower said:
I've been using the same 16 color IBM CGA since 1987. Fucker's still going storng.
Gonna ride this bitch till the wheels fall off, then get me one of those new EGA models. :thumbsup:
Still using the ol' Copy 386 model are you?