WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I love Zalman.

Descent

Hella Constipated
http://zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=16&code=005

I absolutely LOVE this cooler.

It keeps my 2600+ T-Bred at 50 degrees Celsius under load. It's the old XP T-Bred with the 266MHz FSB, so naturally it's a fucking space heater.

I'll try reapplying the AS5 compound, the cooler is sheer hell to get on because it's not the full size of the socket. Therefore, you lack a good reference point.

Also, my Chaintech 7NIL1 has CPU socket clips with less of a slope, which adds to the difficulty a bit. But like I've said before, it's truly a great board, especially for it's MSRP of $49.99.

To everyone who needs a Socket A cooler: Get this. You won't regret it. Once you get past installation, you'll fall in love.

Jung

???
Premium
Thermalright > everything else to date.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Thermalright > everything else to date.
Yeah, I know. I just can't afford an $80 copper block, but if I could I would get one in a second.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I re-read my post and realized that it sounds like I'm yelling at Descent. That was not my intention.

I was just merely wondering why, If you know that there is something definately better on the market, and cannot afford it at the moment, why not save up? Then you'd have the best, rather than something that is unproven.

Getting the most for your money is one thing, but if it craps out, you'll say "Zalman sucks... I had one in my incredible morphing computer once, and it burnt up in 2 weeks." or whatnot.

Not that your cooler is total shit either. It seems as though you do indeed know that there are better products, yet you refuse to use them? That, I just don't understand.

Descent

Hella Constipated
It's that I know there are better products, it's that I don't have the cash available to buy them, or that I feel the lower end product will work.

And this cooler works great! It only gets 3 degrees Celsius hotter under load, I couldn't be happier.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
for cheap computer parts try http://www.pricewatch.com, they're affordable and reliable.
I'd like to add a caveat to your suggestion. ONLY purchase from retailers listed on Pricewatch after checking their ratings on www.reselleratings.com. Since pricewatch isn't an actual store, but rather a portal to many others, they do tend to have scammers some times. They're usually pretty good about weeding the scammers out, but naturally they can't get to them all.

Personally, I find that Zip Zoom FLy and New Egg are just better places to purchase from. I might spend a few more dollars, but that's worth it for the quality of the service I receive. When you buy form PriceWatch, it's always the luck of the draw, and sometimes that luck is very bad.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
I'd like to add a caveat to your suggestion. ONLY purchase from retailers listed on Pricewatch after checking their ratings on www.reselleratings.com. Since pricewatch isn't an actual store, but rather a portal to many others, they do tend to have scammers some times. They're usually pretty good about weeding the scammers out, but naturally they can't get to them all.

Personally, I find that Zip Zoom FLy and New Egg are just better places to purchase from. I might spend a few more dollars, but that's worth it for the quality of the service I receive. When you buy form PriceWatch, it's always the luck of the draw, and sometimes that luck is very bad.
of course, http://www.tigerdirect.com is a good one too

Jung

???
Premium
I've had a few mishaps with their service in the past, and their prices/selection aren't that great anymore, so I tend to stay away from them.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
I've had a few mishaps with their service in the past, and their prices/selection aren't that great anymore, so I tend to stay away from them.
ahhh... i havent been there in a few months.