WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I need an ISP!

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Well, anyways, since my parents have both DSL and won't install it on my computer, I need an ISP to use for a while, does anyone know of a FREE ISP for dialup?
I've already tried a few ones.
Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Smoke said:
Well, anyways, since my parents have both DSL and won't install it on my computer, I need an ISP to use for a while, does anyone know of a FREE ISP for dialup?

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Smoke said:

DSL? Just run an ethernet cord from the router to your computer, simple. :thumbsup:

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
My comp can't run dsl, its too old.
:thumbsdn:

Smoke said:
I don't think I really comprehend that post. It doesn't run DSL?

What Jung said.

Jung

???
Premium
Smoke said:
Sure it can. Just add a network card if it doesn't already have one. ISPs list "minimum requirements," but your computer hardly needs to meet them to use DSL. It should still run it, albeit slower than on a new computer.

jamesp

In Memory...
like jung already said, most any computer can use a DSL line. All you need to do is install a cheap little networking card, run a straight through cable from the router (DSL modem) to your computer, and in most cases just restart. IP/TCP Protocol and your software should take over from there.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
But that requires $$, hence why I asked for FREE isp.
My comp CAN ruin dsl, but it needs Win98 2nd edition, and I only have first edition.

Jung

???
Premium
Smoke said:
But that requires $$, hence why I asked for FREE isp.
My comp CAN ruin dsl, but it needs Win98 2nd edition, and I only have first edition.
You would honestly be better off just spending the $10 to buy a network card and upgrading the OS. (Ebay?) Any "free" dial up ISP you find is going to show you plenty of adds or install spyware. The latter being the worst thing for an older computer.

Aside from that, a search engine would probably be your best bet for finding one. I haven't actually heard of any free ISPs in probably 10 years though. NetZero used to be the only one around, but that was before broadband was even available...

On the other hand, your local dial up ISP probably doesn't cost anything more than $10 a month, and you can always get the free AOL trial until you have some money.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
You can't game on a Satelite DSL..
1k+ ping all the time.
Dialup = 200-250 ping.
See?
Much better
:thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Smoke said:
1k+ ping all the time.
Dialup = 200-250 ping.
See?
Much better
You can't game on a Pentium-133 either...uhh, oops. That my my Descent, Doom, and Duke3D raping box back in '02. MMmmmm...ATi Mach64 graphics...AND ALL THAT RAM! 48MB!

Smoke, is that thing an IBM Aptiva? And does it have a 3D video card? You may want to look into a $12 Voodoo card to speed that rascal up a bit.

If you have a SiS 6326 card on there, I feel your pain...That thing couldn't even run Doom at high res! Hell, it couldn't even handle my Windows 95 desktop! It ran 98 SE good, though.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Anyone know of a free isp for the modems?
I've already tried several ones, but they have limits.
It would be appreciated, thanks.

jamesp

In Memory...
Smoke said:
1k+ ping all the time.
Dialup = 200-250 ping.
See?
Much better
wrong, you have to get satellite upload and download.

and i dont think that there is such a thing as a free ISP.

Smoke

Banned - What an Asshat!
Wrong.
You can't game a on a computer that gets 1,000 ping every 1-2 seconds.
The download is pretty fast, but the upload is horrible.
A modem isp would be so much better for gaming than this satelite dsl.