WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

I want my dreams to come true, not to settle

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
Every time I try to do the right thing, it's too late. And every time I'm doing the wrong thing, there's plenty of time to do that. My expectations go unmet, so I have to scramble, but the scramble is futile. The only choice I have left, the only logical one, is to settle.

• 1Sad
Reactions: YogurtExplosion

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
"Every time I try to do the right thing, it's too late." This means a lot of things, including going on Zoloft, but not during an academic term, looking for another school in my college's state rather than my home state, but having to go to a community college in my home state. For context, I was suspended for two terms at my college and if I want to get back for Winter rather than Spring, I'd have to show initiative to come back. I appealed three times and the administration said no, so I essentially wasted my time appealing when I could have spent time securing a spot at another college. I guess that would be the "wrong thing" I'm referring to. I expected my appeal to be successful, but it wasn't, so that's why I didn't spend the time I needed finding another school in the state I learn in. I put a lot of time into appealing, but it never worked.

The settling is that the dean wants me to change my major and really insists I should, but I feel like I'm winning the fight against the depression/anxiety, but it's apparently too late. I felt I had a great chance to prove myself in the college I wanted to temporarily go to, but alas, it's too late since they start very early September. So I have to go to a community college in my home state, which sucks. I don't get to walk to my dorm late after a hard study sesh because there is no dorm and staying out late in a metropolitan city is asking for a ton of trouble, I might have to deal with a wider age range that my own. It sucks that I have to make all these hard adjustments and decisions.

Last edited:
  • 1Sad
Reactions: CoprophagousCop

CoprophagousCop

Old and bold and doesn't do what he's told.
Premium
And here I thought you were one of the successful WTFers. :confused:

I switched majors in college, but I waited too long .. until my tenth semester. As a result it took me six years to get my undergraduate degree in Computer Science which I could have easily done in four years if I had started out in Computer Science instead of Engineering. Even worse, when I did graduate I was just plain tired of school. I should have gone on to get a Masters, which I would have had after six years if I had started out in Computer Science. These days, software development positions are much more highly competitive and having an advanced degree would definitely help.

A little later in life, after 410,000 IT jobs were sent overseas in early 2001, I considered enrolling in a cabinet building program at a community college. However, I waited a month to get a definite response from an employer who had flown me out for an interview. By the time the employer told me "No", the cabinet building program was full. I was put on a waiting list, but when classes started I was still on the list (and the last person on the list).

During the housing bubble, I got a two year degree in residential architecture, but the housing bubble burst just after I finished. I never did work in that industry.

You always hear that people in Hollywood become successful because they happened to be at the right place at the right time or that they knew the right people. I think the same is true for everything. :colbert:

• 1Agree
Reactions: TooSmartGuile