I wonder who's bright idea this was at Yahoo!

ferengi

Yay fire!
Hmm... I remember in high school when you copied someone else's work and claimed it as your own, it was called plagiarism or copyright infringement... anyone detect a slight hint of similarity between these two websites?

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
well that's kinda interesting...

Maybe yahoo should look into putting little marshmellows on their homepage to make it not look so bad, I mean, who can hate on little marshmellow men right?

Jung

???
Premium
That's just for search.yahoo.com, their front page looks normal.

Btw, you are aware that Yahoo licenses Google's search technology, right?

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
All that I am aware of(and actually care about) is that they need marshmallow men goddammit.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
junglizm said:
That's just for search.yahoo.com, their front page looks normal.

Btw, you are aware that Yahoo licenses Google's search technology, right?

Do they still? Yahoo used to have a sign at the bottom of their webpage that said "powered by Google", But I haven't seen it recently... it used to be quite prominent... maybe they're just hiding it now. I dunno :confused:

swizeguy

How dare you!?
well i hate to say it but there cant be that many variations to the basic search engine. but i would have thought they could have been a little more original.

Jung

???
Premium
brainwashmonkey said:
Do they still? Yahoo used to have a sign at the bottom of their webpage that said "powered by Google", But I haven't seen it recently... it used to be quite prominent... maybe they're just hiding it now. I dunno :confused:
As far as I know they still do. Although searches on Yahoo go through their "Directory" first, before being passed to a Goolge type search.
swizeguy said:
well i hate to say it but there cant be that many variations to the basic search engine.
That's the thing though, the "Yahoo Directory" is just a basic meta search engine, Goolge's technology isn't. There HAVE been many variations to the meta search though. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been on the net, but search engines have come and gone a lot, each with their own iteration of the "basic search engine." Hell, I remember when www.webcrawler.com and www.lycos.com were top dog, I'm surprised they're even still around now.

Edit: Wow, www.excite.com and www.altavista.com are still around.