WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss Ideas for the upcoming job loss due to autonomous robotics

My idea comes from combining my conservative views on government, the inevitability of investor demands, and human psychology.

What about my conservative views? Well, some people suggest universal basic income, some suggesting $1,500/month, but that won't go over well with government involvement, plus no private company exists with the sole purpose of giving people money. I suggest instead the government reduce the barriers to entrepreneurship and business creation, and also reduce the length of time copyright/trademark laws apply to intellectual property so that creativity can prosper, as I feel creative societies fare better for the future.

I don't think we should rely on the good will of corporate leaders because their jobs aren't to be sentimental and sensitive, it's to lead a business and the reason for businesses' existences are to make profit. Even if a business wanted to exercise good will, investors wouldn't like that since it means less money for them and they'll pull out.

Humans need to do something. I imagine somebody sitting around, just existing without reason, and I don't think we're made for that. We need to do something with our lives, and aim for some goal. I feel reducing the barriers to job creation would enable more people to find a profitable outlet for their hobbies or test their ideas.

What do you think?

Crazizniac

Particinator
The shop I was helping last year Bought a Robot;
and hired my nephew who had just graduated from college to run it and within a month needed more help to process the steel the Voortman put on the floor. A net increase in human labor to support the Robot's increase in production. Robots create work they don't eliminate it. And as the robot works for the cost of the debt service on the machine it never asks for a raise so there is more money available for salary, some of that had filtered down to the crew when I left hopefully more follows.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I suggest you all embrace your new AI overlords and accept your fate.

ThisIsBananas

Tough guy!
Premium
My idea comes from combining my conservative views on government, the inevitability of investor demands, and human psychology.

What about my conservative views? Well, some people suggest universal basic income, some suggesting $1,500/month, but that won't go over well with government involvement, plus no private company exists with the sole purpose of giving people money. I suggest instead the government reduce the barriers to entrepreneurship and business creation, and also reduce the length of time copyright/trademark laws apply to intellectual property so that creativity can prosper, as I feel creative societies fare better for the future.

I don't think we should rely on the good will of corporate leaders because their jobs aren't to be sentimental and sensitive, it's to lead a business and the reason for businesses' existences are to make profit. Even if a business wanted to exercise good will, investors wouldn't like that since it means less money for them and they'll pull out.

Humans need to do something. I imagine somebody sitting around, just existing without reason, and I don't think we're made for that. We need to do something with our lives, and aim for some goal. I feel reducing the barriers to job creation would enable more people to find a profitable outlet for their hobbies or test their ideas.

What do you think?
If everything is going to be automated, then companies will have to give everybody a living wage by law. In their free time, people will watch Netflix, go on vacations, visit friends, etc. Nobody will be staring at the wall doing nothing because they don't have a job.

Last edited:
If everything is going to be automated, then companies will have to give everybody a living wage by law. In their free time, people will watch Netflix, go on vacations, visit friends, etc. Nobody will be staring at the wall doing nothing because they don't have a job.
Kinda utopian. But nice to imagine- all the people, living life in peace... fuckin Lennon man. Why isn’t he president?

Dude, we are so far away from global robotic domination that I doubt even our grandchildren will have to worry about Skynet taking over. But, since you asked:

Disclaimer: I should put it out there that I'm American and 100% liberal.

I agree that universal basic income would never work. Like you said, Where would the money come from? Also, if everyone is given the same monthly stipend, free enterprise as we know it would implode. If the income is coming from the government, they will also have to subsidize food, housing, medicine, everything. Basically, communism. But even scarier. The excellent welfare/social programs in the Nordic countries only exist because they actually tax their corporations, something America can't seem to get behind then wonder why the poor get poorer.

About the government reducing/removing barriers to create new businesses, at least in my experience, the main barrier people usually face when starting new businesses is the capital to start it up. Sure you have to get licenses and such, but it usually comes down to good old greenbacks.

And the cycle of poverty is a whole other issue in itself. I'm also with you on the greedy corporate overlords (fuck them) not paying their workers a live-able wage. So, I figure we have basically two options: riot in the streets, or continue to better/educate ourselves until we create our own opportunities. I'm not even talking about going to college and racking up massive student loans, I'm talking about the internet- in this day and age, there is really no excuse not to learn anything you want to. It's all online, baby.

TL;DR- I agree with you and then some. I don't think it's so much the government's responsibility to create opportunity, though, I think it's the people's.