WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines identity theft

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
has anyone ever been a victim of identity theft?
known anyone who has? heard any new scams that you want to share with your WTF mates?
if statistics are to be believed we are all in danger of being phished and phucked every day, i read this story and was interested that it was a new scam that i hadn't previously heard of and thought it was worth sharing.
if you have any to add please do, we need to be ahead of these bastards.

The newest form of identity theft is targeting one of America's least favorite obligations, jury duty. Scammers pretend to be court officials taking victims' private information over the phone.
Scammers call their victims at home claiming to be a jury coordinator. They say that you didn't show up for jury duty and a warrant has been issued for your arrest.
When you say you didn't get a summons they ask for your Social Security number and date of birth to verify their information, and that's where they get you.
Martha Rhynes, jury coordinator, says, "We never call and ask anyone for their Social Security number, date of birth, or other personal information."

http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/1924847.html

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
I heard through the grapevine that a friend of mine is going through some identity theft scenario. It's scary stuff.

This jury duty scam is incredible though. Very scary.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
The funny thing is that the biggest form of identity theft is the lowest tech. Still going through trash is the leader in information collection by these swine.

Buy a cheap shredder people. $25- $50 at your local office supply store. All my CC apps and bills get shredded prior to tossing.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
MaxPower said:
The funny thing is that the biggest form of identity theft is the lowest tech. Still going through trash is the leader in information collection by these swine.

Buy a cheap shredder people. $25- $50 at your local office supply store. All my CC apps and bills get shredded prior to tossing.
our shredder does credit cards too :thumbsup:

paper trails suck

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
I got an Ebay phishing email yesterday. I almost never get spam in my main email box, as I am extremely careful how I give out my main address. It goes to show how prolific these people can be. My wife got one in her email and she has no account with ebay! As for the low tech aspect, like Max Power said buy a shredder and use it for anything that has your name and address on it- especially those freakin credit card applications that come pre-filled out. If you have to use an email address, say to retrieve a password for joining a website and you don't want your main email spammed til it's overflowing, use Mailinator: http://mailinator.com/
you make up the email address and it activates upon receipt of an email. Then you can retrieve the password and never use that email address again. And it's free.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I have a fire pit in the backyard. Rather than shread the offending materials I usually just burn it.

In addition, if you get unwanted credit card offers in the mail, you can call the credit card companies and ask to be removed from their solicitation lists.

Every once in a while I still get mail for the guy that lived in my house before me. I've been there for 5 eyars and I still get his 401k statements. As I don't know how to get them to him and my postal carrier is borederline psychotic I just destroy them. Actually what I do is stuff them in the trash bag that's full of dog shit. Now remember, I have 3 big dogs. I use the 40 pound dog food bags to put their shit in. So we're talking a good 15-20 pounds of shit every week. If you REALLY want to steal his identity I guess you earned it.

R

RedOctober

A well known trick in Europe sounds like this.

You get an email...

Hello, I am the sun of a king, who has been kicked from his throne in..
(Some African country)
I must get my dad's money worth 150.000.000 $ out of the country fast.
Please send your bankdata, so I can send the money to your bank account.
From there we can transfer it to Switzerland, and you can keep 10%.
--------

Well.. If some crook sends 100.000 emails like this, there are always 1% that is stupid enough to email his personal data, and they use it to suck the bank account dry..

In the Netherlands already people are put behind bars for this, but new crooks keep coming.

Remember what they say:

"You can't cheat an honest man!"

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
RedOctober said:
A well known trick in Europe sounds like this.

You get an email...

Hello, I am the sun of a king, who has been kicked from his throne in..
(Some African country)
I must get my dad's money worth 150.000.000 $ out of the country fast.
Please send your bankdata, so I can send the money to your bank account.
From there we can transfer it to Switzerland, and you can keep 10%.
--------

Well.. If some crook sends 100.000 emails like this, there are always 1% that is stupid enough to email his personal data, and they use it to suck the bank account dry..

In the Netherlands already people are put behind bars for this, but new crooks keep coming.

Remember what they say:

"You can't cheat an honest man!"
usually from nigeria..

if it seems to good to be true, it is.