WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

If anyone can figure this one out... my WTF friends can.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Ok, this is going to be hard to describe, and priobably hard to imagine, but here goes.

My laptop has been running fine. A little slow, but I imagine thats because my hard drive is almost completely full and I havnt removed any programs since i got it (over 2 years ago), but thats not the point.

Here's the strange thing thats been happening for the past 2 months or so. At random intervals, my mouse will dart to one corner of my screen. If I move it, the cursor doesn't respond correctly... ie. it jumps from corner to corner, and along the sides of the screen. This lasts anywhere from 1-3 seconds on average.

Some days it wont happen, some days it will happen 20 times. Any explanation?

Thanks!
tbsrk, the guy who knows absolutely nothing about computers.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
is this the built in mouse on your laptop or is this an external mouse. if it's external have you tried using a different mouse since htis started happening?

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
Get a cheap new mouse, try it, if it doesnt work try sending it in to the place where you baught it for repairs because they are the real people who would know what the problem is, unless its just you suck at using a mouse :). Another suggestion is to re-install your mouse drivers if you have any, changing the usb port if it is one. ANOTHER suggestion is if it is a ball mouse, clean it out for once.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CLEAN A BALL MOUSE :O.

1. Flip mouse over
2. Open little circle :)
3. Take out the ball, make shure not to loose or throw it at something or someone.
4. Clean all the black rollers inside the mouse, then either blow into it or use a compressed air can to clean it.
5. put the mouse together.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 on a regular basis.

(i used to clean mouses for my elemtery school =\)

A frien of mine who uses an optical mouse has a problem somewhat like this one. At random times, it jumps to the top of the screen and doesn't come down for 2-3 seconds. This is remarkably noticable when playing an online FPS, such as Battlefield 2. (that game kicks ass!)

My mouse wanders without me doing anything. It'll slowly wiggle itself towards the left side of my screen, until I move it myself.

I used to think it was my mouse port, until I got a new computer. Still does the same thing.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
It is an external optical mouse. Thanks for the suggestions, i will first try switching usb ports. and i will do so...... NOW.

Within 5 seconds of change the port, and before I even submitted this post, the crazy thing happened again. Since I dont have a the mouse drivers with me, and the place I bought it from is 360 miles away, plus I have 8 dollars to my name, another mouse is out of the question, ill just live with it.

Thanks!

wilko125

Rep My Post
supposedly this is to do with the usb optical mice only. especially the microsoft standard oprical mouse, tis a pain in the ass in any game as my microsoft mouse does it at the most innappropriate times ie when im sniping in cod

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
The plamrest/touchpad and if you have a trackstick, are all connected. After so long the plamrest starts to bend under your plam pressure. It shorts and the mouse usually drifts into a corner. If you are under warrenty call in and simply say that when you touch the plamrest the mouse cursor drifts. What brand of notebook is it?

Jung

???
Premium
Try downloading the drivers from the manufacturer's website, then install them. (obviously)

Try cleaning out the piece on the mouse where the optical lens is; sometimes a little speck of dirt or piece of hair will get caught in there.

Make sure the surface you're using your mouse on is smooth, not shiny and has a good bit of texture to it. Optical mice don't like smooth surfaces without some sort of texture; they need something to sense the changes by. If not, just go to Wal Mart (or wherever) and spend $5 on a normal cloth mouse pad.

Descent

Hella Constipated
tbsrk said:
It is an external optical mouse. Thanks for the suggestions, i will first try switching usb ports. and i will do so...... NOW.

Within 5 seconds of change the port, and before I even submitted this post, the crazy thing happened again. Since I dont have a the mouse drivers with me, and the place I bought it from is 360 miles away, plus I have 8 dollars to my name, another mouse is out of the question, ill just live with it.

Thanks!
TBSRK, your optical mouse is on it's last legs. I have had two Logitech's do this same thing for me. Very soon the laser will die totally.

Ironically, my current Logitech MX300 is two and a half years old, is so worn down that it's smooth as glass, no texture needed, but it works as good as the day I got it.

So you'll need a new mouse. Get a higher-end Logitech or a Microsoft mouse. The low end Logitech's were good, but they suck pretty bad now. My current one was a middle-end model, now it's the second cheapest one they make.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
You can try another mouse, can't hurt, but my money is on a plamrest problem.

Jung

???
Premium
So you'll need a new mouse.
I would exhaust all other possibilities first, replacing hardware isn't always the answer.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
Same thing happened to me. it really sucked when I was coloring a drawing in photoshop, and a huge ugly line showed up. I re-installed the drivers and it's been good since then. :)

PS. the drivers are usually on the great interwebnets somewhere.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mine does it randomly too, but it doesn't affect me too much since I don't play games.

I think it's kind of fun :D

i remember seeing my laptop's cursor move towards the top-left. one of those eraser mouses. i would simply push the eraser mouse firmly in the opposite direction of travel. always seemed to work.

Jung

???
Premium
What the hell is an 'eraser mouse?' Are you talking about a track point?

yea.

compaq called it an eraser mouse when i called for tech support. i use to think it was called a "nub", but that made me sound even more ignorant, so i stopped and just called it the mouse.